“Really Relaxing...”

Ranked #15 of 47 Hotels in Port Vila
“Really Relaxing...”
Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

We were looking for the opportunity to relax and unwind - the Holiday Inn didn't let us down. If you are a couple looking to spend time by the pool and bar or a family looking to keep the little ones entertained, the Holiday Inn should definitely be on your radar. The staff are wonderful as is the food and various activities available.

We started in a king suite which was excellent however given the discount available when at the resort to upgrade to an over water villa we decided it was worth it. The villa was brilliant, spacious and well kept - definitely something to consider when you are there.

In all a wonderful way to spend a week - we would definitely recommend it to friends and family.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Thomas T, General Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Vanuatu, responded to this review, 3 August 2014
Good Morning Steve B

Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

We are indeed lucky to have a range of accommodation including our Kid Suites, Kid Vila's and the Over water Vila's allowing us to cater for just about everyone. When you couple this with the Melanesian team it makes for that very relaxing experience!

Look forward to welcoming you back to Vanuatu in the near future.

Holiday Inn Resort Vanuatu

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (246)
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

We where are booked into the king suite but decided to upgrade to over the water cabin which was the best decision we made.
This is truly one of the most relaxing,peaceful and private holidays I've ever had.
The staff were always polite and helpful. I would recommend this resort to couples and families.
Thank you for a great holiday.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lisa S
Good Morning Lisa S

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience.

Certainly sounds like you enjoyed your time with us and got to fully recharge.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back to Vanuatu.

Holiday inn Resort Vanuatu
Taupo, New Zealand
Reviewed 27 July 2014

What an amazing place to stay, we travelled with our 4 and 6 year olds and they had a ball, lots to do with the kids club (awesome friendly ladies), and beach activities etc. Far enough out of Port Vila to feel you are in a tropical oasis but close enough to be abel to zip into town for supplies or sighseeing. Day spa and happy hour at the pool bar meant it was a break for the adults too..we were kept occupied by the catamaran sailing, kayaking, swimming and snorkelling in the lagoon. We spent 5 days out of the 7 in the resort and never got bored :). Food was great, we clateratied between th buffet of the day and al a carte which was always good, kids ate free every night and never had the same meal twice over our whole stay. Rooms clean and serviced daily, we thought the decor of the resort was great, with a real melanesian feel to it.
Amazing friendly staff, especially Peter, David and Sam (chief)....so helpful at all times.
The fire dancing and kava tasting was a highlight for us :)
Will definietly be back, this place made for a truly enjoyable family holiday :)

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank KaranSin
Good Afternoon thefarmers74

Thank you for a 'Fabulous' review.

Our location makes it very easy for that quick trip into town and also gives you great access to some of the fantastic tours and experiences that Vanuatu has to offer and we are only 10mins from the Airport. Thanks for mentioning a couple of the team as I know they will be very proud when we share your comments with them.

Look forward to welcoming you back to Vanuatu for a couple more shells of Kava soon!

Killarney Vale
Reviewed 25 July 2014

We were lucky to secure an upgrade to an overwater villa and loved the fact that we could swim off our deck steps. It is a bit of a walk from the main building but it was no trouble for us to be picked up in the motorised buggy whenever we wanted. The resort is great for families with lots to do, although we had no trouble finding a quiet spot for relaxing. Friendly staff and convenient location added to our enjoyment. Unfortunately we found the quality of the meals in the restaurant to be somewhat lacking and the service lax. All in all, it is a great place for a holiday in a beautiful location.

Room Tip: Overwater villas are very quiet although they are a fairly long walk from the main building.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Good Afternoon Robyn P

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us.

With the two swimming pools, beach-side cabanas and the island you certainly can find a quiet space to relax whilst still being able to joining in on some of the activities. I am sorry to hear that we didn't meet your expectations around Food and Beverage and I will be certainly discussing your feedback with the team. We have several new dining experiences in the pipeline that will give a some different options moving forward.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Vanuatu in the near future.

Australia
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Have just returned from a week long stay at this lovely hotel. It was a very pleasant stay, only a few minor gripes resulting in a four rather than five star rating from me. Definitely recommended.

I stayed at the garden view room, booked on a special offer. The booking process was nice and easy (I just emailed them and got prompt responses) and the hotel organised a transfer from the airport. I was met at the airport by a hotel representative with a complimentary necklace, checkin documentation and information and directed to the transfer company immediately adjacent. All nice and smooth and very reassuring for a solo female traveler on a first visit to Vanuatu.

Checkin process was smooth. The garden view room, which I think is the most "budget" at the hotel was perfectly adequate. Comfortable king size bed, a selection of pillows, a chaise-long, table and armchair. Bathroom was provided with the usual toiletries, plus comb, dental and shaving kits, which I don't normally see in 4.5 star hotels. More than adequate towels. Room was scrupulously clean and was cleaned and serviced every day. There is a flat screen TV as well, but I didn't watch TV during my stay, so can't comment on quality of channels available.

A couple of minor issues with the room - I found the bath tub/shower difficult to climb out of due to the thick stone sides and my rather short legs. It's not something that can be remedied and not the hotel's fault, but resulted in a bruise on one occasion. The large woven lamp hung low over the table is lovely and decorative, until you hit your head on it several times (I'm 5 foot tall, so it is hung very low indeed). It's light, so you won't hurt yourself, but can be a bit of an annoyance. The only other thing was - please consider providing a herbal tea like mint or camomile as part of teas provided in the room.
Like I said, the issues are very minor and a bit of nit picking on my part. For the cheapest rooms in the hotel, it is very good indeed.

The hotel grounds are beautiful. Very clean and well-maintained. There are two pools and a nice lagoon beach. Sail catamarans and kayaks can be obtained from activities centre. There are hammocks and plenty of beach chairs, large chess and checkers boards, soccer and beach volleyball facilities and a table tennis table. There is also a golf course. Of those I only used the sail catamarans and it was great fun. Pool towels are provided and there is a towel checkout service so you can grab towels that you want if going outside the resort (very handy for when I went diving!).

The resort runs various activities and entertainments. Many are aimed at children, but some are great for adults as well. There were several excellent live bands playing, the fire twirling on Thursday night was absolutely spectacular. I went to kava tasting, which was both interesting and entertaining. I was a bit disappointed by it's lack of effect on me - maybe I should have drunk more, but the taste is ... well, try it and see!

Breakfast is held at the verandah restaurant and you are treated to a stunning view of the lagoon, palm trees and greenery as you eat. The breakfast itself is adequate, but not spectacular. The food available was pretty much the same for my seven days there and other travelers told me it had not changed during the two weeks before either. There was a good variety of food, but it did get a bit boring after a week. So, good, but not fantastic.

Food was one of the few disappointments of the resort. There are themed buffets every night, but these are not as great as I've had in other holiday inn resorts. The selection of food tended to be rather limited and largely not worth the price (almost AUD$45 per head). I had the Chef's choice buffet on one night - the seafood dishes were very good. The garlic prawns in particular were spectacularly tasty. But meatballs were rather dry.

For other buffet themes the selection of food was uninspiring and I opted for the a la carte menu. There were a couple of issues there as well - the food took a very long time indeed to come out. The staff said it was because they were very busy, but the restaurant was never more than a quarter full. The quality also varied. The pork belly and scallops were very good. The beef strogonoff special was ok, but the meat was a bit tough and dry.
The biggest issue came when I ordered one of their steaks. I asked for a medium-rare. I can cope with a rare steak or a medium one. However, when the steak came, more than 40 minutes after I ordered, it was raw. Not rare, but simply raw all through the inside. I had to send it back and when it came back (after about another twenty minutes), it was rare, but at least not so raw as to cause food safety concerns for me. The taste was good, but it was a bit of a disappointing dining experience overall.

Now for the last little gripe. The staff at the hotel are lovely and friendly. But I think they need some further/better training. At the pool bar you'd have five staff and two customers and you would still need to wait a fair while to order (more than 10 minutes on one occasion, when, like I said, staff outnumbered customers) and they would mix up your order or forget to give you the bill/ask for your room number to charge you. One staff member had to look at the drinks menu to determine what to put in a cocktail I ordered (there are only three or four on offer in total).

The lady at the bookings desk did not appear to know what was on offer and when I asked about around the island tours she handed me a bunch of brochures (most of them for snorkeling tours or harbour cruises) and told me to pick one. No recommendation, no assistance. A few other travelers mentioned a similar experience and lack of knowledge of what was involved in the tours.

It is really a matter of training up the staff to know what is on offer or teaching them how to operate more efficiently. It is not that they are not trying. They are overwhelmingly trying to be helpful and friendly. The staff at the lobby bar tended to be more efficient. There may be issues that I am not aware of, such as high staff turn over raters, but I did think that some staff appeared under-trained.

In case this sounds too negative - it's not meant to be - just an explanation for the less than 100% rating given to this resort - it's not 100% perfect, but it is really a lovely resort and I had a very pleasant stay there and would certainly recommend it to others. Hope to visit it again next time I'm in Port Vila.

Room Tip: I was perfectly satisfied with my garden view room.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
7 Thank flyte_of_fancy
Good Afternoon flyte_of_fancy

Thank you for the 'Lovely' review and extensive review!

It certainly sounds like you enjoyed your time with us and thank you for the feedback on a few area's that we need to work on ready for your next visit. We have certainly focused on your comments regarding Food and Beverage with some new dining experiences due to be launched over the coming months and we have re-looked at the training we do with the team.

Hopefully we will see you back for an extra shell of Kava or two in the near future.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 17 July 2014

I confess that being a lifelong convert of another Pacific Island meant that Vanuatu had not previously been on our radar. What a mistake that was...
From the moment we touched down in Port Vila our recent visit became one of the best family holidays we have enjoyed.
In this, the Holiday Inn Resort Vanuatu played a major part.
Upon check-in I had a few queries about our room. Within minutes the wonderful William Pakca had taken care of the requests in an incredibly efficient manner. This set the tone for superb customer service from all the staff throughout our stay.
The calm waters of the beachside location was perfect for our boys (10 & 11 years) to stay active - paddle boarding, beach soccer, kayaking and catamaran sailing.
Our meals were always plentiful and very fresh with enough variety to keep us all happy.
The beds and pillows were the most comfortable I have experienced in a hotel and the rooms were a great size - a ground floor room which opened onto the sloping lawn was a bonus.
Tom, Bettina and the team - thank you for the stay. We will return soon...

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Monique v
Thomas T, General Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Vanuatu, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Good Afternoon theurbanmum

Thank you for the review and photo's!

We seem to hear that a bit about the other Pacific Island however with a very small budget to market the destination we may always just be a little quieter and different. I am not so sure that is necessarily a bad thing though!

Look forward to welcoming you all back very soon.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Had medical emergency 2 hours after arrival.Had to fly home to australia for treatment. Thomas and the staff at the resort were overwhelmingly helpful. the rooms were a bit dated and the screen door to our balcony would not open.But would not hesitate to return hopefully next year purely for the location and friendly staff.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank stevef60_13
Good Afternoon stevef60_13

You were in the air a little longer than on the ground here in Vanuatu! Always a little off putting being in a different country and having a medical emergency but glad to hear that you are already thinking about the next trip.

Look forward to welcoming you fit and well back here in Vanuatu.