“Fantastic week in paradise”

Warwick Le Lagon - Vanuatu
Ranked #13 of 47 Hotels in Port Vila
Bendigo, Australia
“Fantastic week in paradise”
Reviewed 4 November 2013

Le Lagon was a top class resort from almost every angle. The resort was spotless, gardens were immaculate, pool was clean and the beach was racked daily. All of the staff were more than friendly and helpful, special thanks to the beach grill staff that were happy to open our coconuts purchased from the market. We booked a "Deluxe Garden view room" and ended up with a fantastic view of not only the lagoon but Erakor Island and the ocean as well, so no complaints on that department. I found the buffet breakfast more than satisfying, there was a large range foods (all well-cooked) and a few variations from day to day (I think some guests may have been overly harsh on the breakfast; it's not Paris, it’s a Vanuatu Buffett breakfast).

Having free hire of kayaks and snorkelling equipment was a great bonus. Friendly advice from the Water Sports staff helped us find some good snorkelling spots over at Erakor Island only 10 minutes paddle away. Only negative was that the paddle boards were provided by a private party and cost extra to use.

As far as the location of the resort goes, it was too far to walk all the way in to town (maybe 40-50mintue walk) but was only 20-30min walk to a nice (and cheap) French restaurant. It was only a 5-10mintue drive in a bus (costing 300 Vatu for 2). The wharf for the ferry over to Erakor island was only a 5 minute walk from our room which was handy as they have a top class restaurant over there I highly recommend.

On the topic of food, my only negative for Warwick Le Lagon was the restaurant service. Our first night we decided to try "Wild Ginger" and waited 40 minutes for our entre and a further 40 minutes for our main. The food was good once it arrived but the big price tag and the time we had to wait for it left us with a bitter taste in our mouth. Unfortunately the "Pool Grill" did not score well with us either 30min wait for a basic beef burger and chicken skewers seemed as excessive as the price. I recommend heading into town for better value for money.

Overall I give Warwick Le Lagon top marks. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and will stay there again should we return to Vanuatu!!

Room Tip: Deluxe Garden view room (201-204)
2 Thank Lyons88
Jeremy W, General Manager at Warwick Le Lagon - Vanuatu, responded to this review, 24 November 2013
Dear Lyons88,

Many thanks for your review. Also thank you for some constructive feedback that will allow me to pass onto my team regarding the wait experienced for food (Wild Ginger, Pool Grill). With the activities equipment I have just placed an order for some stand up paddle boards so they will be ours to give out now rather than using the 3rd party supplier.

We would love to see you back and many thanks for your top marks.

Kind Regards

Jeremy Walsh

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (469)
Reviewed 4 November 2013 via mobile

I have just returned from my first visit to this beautiful island

I stayed at the Warwick le lagon for seven nights but I dont think I will stay again unless a few changes are made

I did read many posts advising guests to check their room account and im glad I did.. everyday I was billed for bottles of water which I repeatedly took back to reception telling them every time I did not want water left

The internet is very expensive. 5000 vat for 72 hours...

There was one night around the pool where a women was so drunk she was flashing her breasts.. yet the bar staff kept serving her drinks

Breakfast was ok but there were flies on the fresh meat and fruit

Inneth who works there for breakfast was such a delight to see every morning, so bright and bubbly and so helpful.. great assett to your team

The staff cleaning rooms were fantastic and take pride in there work

Overall its a great place to stay, fantastic gardens and very well kept. Few upgrades and changes and I'd definitely be back for sure

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank PaddleChicky
Dear PaddleChicky,

Thank you for your posting. Some very good points here and I must say the breast flashing is news to me! Apologies on behalf of that guest to you from me.......Inneth is lovely and the housekeeping team will be thrilled to have received your feedback. Once the new kitchen is back and I do have some plans in 2014 which I would like to achieve I am sure you will definitely be back.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 3 November 2013

This was my 4th trip to Vanuatu and was so disappointed in the changes at le Lagon that I fear it may be my last.
Despite what the manager is replying in other posts there is certainly something going on that needs fixing.
The service was non existant, the pool area filthy often played and glasses from the day before still under pool chairs the next morning. The lichen is undergoing renovations and while I am more then willing to over look the logistical problems with this I am disgusted that many of the mornings by 8am the food had run out and what was left was covered in flys.
There was a noticeable lack of staff around compared with past visits and the pool area is in desperate need of a make over. There where so many tiles missing from the pool leaving sharp edges that it was amazing no one sustained a serious injury.
With my many concerns there are many positives mostly the beautiful staff. The few that were around are so happy and do such a fantastic job it's hard to stay unhappy. The ground staff do an excellent job as with the cleaning staff.
I feel the problems are management based and hope that things get sorted out quickly. I was charged premium prices and received less then mediocre quality.

• Stayed October 2013
2 Thank jacky n
Jeremy W, General Manager at Warwick Le Lagon - Vanuatu, responded to this review, 4 November 2013
Dear jacky n,

Thank you for your comments. It seems somewhat strange that over the past few reviews there seems to be reference to poor management? Something I take quite seriously and will get to the bottom of. I have shared with readers in previous reviews that in fact, and after having gone back 2 years, the satisfaction ratio of guests has increased by some 10-15%. This I make in reference to "Despite what the manager is saying". I apologize if this is your 4th visit and you feel this way as I like to look after all our guests, first timers or returnees alike. The tiles are slowly being replaced although I cant empty the pool so bit by bit in evenings some tiles are replaced. Thank you for your comments on the staff who, I agree with you, are so friendly.

Tweed Heads, Australia
Reviewed 30 October 2013

No problems except with one lunch at the pool when it took far too long to serve us. Our room was lovely-- a Garden Deluxe upstairs with a view of the water and the beautiful gardens. We went for a family wedding and it was delightful. We hired a car and drove around the island and it was so easy. The staff were very obliging and helpful. We would go back there given the opportunity.

Room Tip: I think it depends on what you want out of a holiday. Our room was quiet because it was away from th...
2 Thank djs715
Dear djs715,

Many thanks for your comments. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and the wedding was a success. It sure is a great way to see the Island by hiring a car with much to do. Your comments are shared with our staff and we would love to welcome you back.

Maroochydore
Reviewed 28 October 2013

The service is non-existent, prices are high and they even ran out of food. Management need to be removed and an experienced management team needs to be put in place. As a couples destination this is not the one to choose.

3 Thank Barry E
Dear Barry E,

Thank you Barry. Apologies on this occasion that this hotel or destination was not for you.

Wandiligong
Reviewed 26 October 2013

As title said, a very friendly and comfortable holiday. The room was impeccable, the grounds were perfect and the staff were friendly and helpful.
A few guests suggested the food side of things was disappointing, but for us it was excellent.
We were able to do everything we wanted; the resort's proximity to Port Villa (SO different to Kuta) is a huge advantage.
We are certainly planning a return trip.

Room Tip: garden superior. The lagoon rooms look fantastic, but can be "buffeted" a bit by the preva...
1 Thank Doug F
Jeremy W, General Manager at Warwick Le Lagon - Vanuatu, responded to this review, 3 November 2013
Dear Doug F,

Thank you very much for your comments. I am glad your enjoyed your holiday and took the time to see everything you wanted to. We look forward to your return trip.

All the best

Eden, Australia
Reviewed 25 October 2013

We got back yesterday from a 7 day stay and want to share our experiences with you

We stayed at the cheap end (Garden Superior) and were given a room right next to the Fun Factory. Great spot for elderly couples to enjoy the sound of other peoples kids screaming all day

Our return flight yesterday was the 7am Qantas/Air Vanuatu service to Sydney. Thus we needed to check-in at the airport soon after 5am. We checked-out the night before, paid our bill and arranged a wake-up call and taxi for early the following morning. The Receptionist, Blessina Tolish (who seemed unusually friendly and helpful) wrote down our request for a wake-up call at 4.30am and a taxi at 5:15am and assured us that it would be fine

I went to Reception late that evening to check. They had the wake-up call logged for 5:15am which would have put is into a huge panic and possibly caused us to miss the flight. I got upset and asked to speak to Mr Rohit Khant, the Assistant Manager. Not there. I asked to speak to the Duty Manager...enter Mr Solomon. I explained to him and he assured me everything would be fine. I wrote the times down again and asked Mr Solomon to sign my paper. He signed and said "Don't worry...be happy" and off I went to bed

Early next morning.....you guessed......no wake-up call

The first we hear is a phone call advising that the taxi is waiting for us

These people are a bunch of incompetents. Their lack of professionalism could have resulted in us missing the flight. Visas expired that day and all sorts of dramas with flights and accommodation could have ensued

As it happens we set our alarm and we did not miss our flight. I tell the story so that you bring your alarm clock and do not rely on Reception to wake you. You will need your sense of humour because:

Warwick le Lagon charge A$11 per hour for a Wi-Fi internet connection

They charge A$6.50 for a bottle of water that a caring resort would give you daily free of charge to help avoid dehydration

They give you 80Vatu for your A$ when to can get 89Vatu at Goodies in town

Room service food is terrible

Breakfasts are an unhygenic shambles

The lagoon is full of dangerous spiny starfish which no-one is trying to remove

The receptionists avoid eye contact and range from hostile to indifferent

Take a guess.......do you think we will be going back?

2 Thank Muffinthemule
Dear Muffinthemule,

Thank you for your comments.

Apologies for the wake up call however I am glad you made it home safely and had set your alarm clock as a back up. Something worthwhile to do wherever you are travelling.

PS The star fish look spiny, but aren't. The local authorities and locals I think would get a little upset if I tried to remove natures own out of the beautiful lagoon.