“Good Family Resort”

Ranked #13 of 47 Hotels in Port Vila
Sydney
“Good Family Resort”
Reviewed 16 November 2013

Unfortunately we stayed here after spending 4 nights at Eratap so this resort was always going to struggle to compare to Eratap. We were upgraded to an Island Suite - and I really can't complain about the room. The toilet did run all night which was a little annoying, but the room was clean and adequate although was right next to the jetty so it meant there was no privacy when sitting on the balcony. Our windows also were directly in front of the water activities area so we had to keep the blinds and curtains drawn at all times to ensure privacy.
The pools were good although a little tired and needing some tiles replacing, and the swim up bar was good. The staff were nice but didn't come close to the service of friendliness provided at Eratap and Havannah. The check in process was painful and no one seemed interested in helping with our luggage. The food was mediocre but breakfast was just woeful. We ate breakfast at Wild Ginger one morning and realised we had just wasted $40....it was nearly inedible. However, the buffet breakfast in the ballroom was inedible. Everything was stone cold, I had eggs benedict that were cold, hard and the toast could be thrown at walls and would have caused damage to the walls. No one was interested in serving us coffee and we had to ask twice for it. The bacon was cold and undercooked. I settled for some muesli - as least that is meant to be cold! We didn't bother eating breakfast on the 3rd day - no use punishing ourselves!
Prices for food and drinks was okay and despite my negative comments this did seem like a nice family resort. There were plenty of activities during the day and lots of water sport activities. The kids seemed quite happy and were kept busy and the staff I saw supervising children seemed to be doing a great job. If I didn't have to eat breakfast I would consider bringing my family here.
Check out was more painful than checking in - and I had to provide evidence of my pre-payment of accommodation as I was told that "the accountant said your payment never made it into our account". Hmmmm.....funny, given it was made by credit card. Thankfully I carried the credit card receipt over with me which resolved the debate fairly quickly. Despite pre-booking our airport transfer two days prior to departing there was no transfer on departure as the gentleman who took the booking failed to pass it on to reception and the transfer company. Again, no one was interested in helping us remove luggage from the room or helping to place it in the taxi.
As stated previously, we had just arrived from a 4 day stay at Eratap so Le Lagon really had no chance of measuring up. A nice family resort but you don't get to experience the friendliness of the locals that you get at the smaller, more intimate resorts. Unfortunately I have been very spoilt in my many previous visits to Vanuatu so Le Lagon just didn't measure up. A big thank you to Heidi though - she did her best to assist us at all times - from checking in through to trying to get my internet access for me.

Room Tip: Hopefully breakfast will improve once renovations are completed. Avoid Island Suite 004 - no privac...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Jeremy W, General Manager at Warwick Le Lagon - Vanuatu, responded to this review, 24 November 2013
Dear SydneyDinie,

Many thanks for you feedback and allowing me to assess your comments. I am however glad you enjoyed your stay at Eratap and enjoyed your visit to Vanuatu.
I am quite sure that under the "Room Tip" this will be most definitely be the case.

Jeremy Walsh

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (469)
Adelaide, SA
Reviewed 15 November 2013

We've just returned from a week at Le Lagon and enjoyed it thoroughly. We stayed in the Garden Bungalows which were beautiful and a great size. We were travelling with a baby and had pre-arranged a cot for the room. I had emailed to ask about using a microwave somewhere to sterilise the baby bottles, not expecting to have one in the room, however one was duly provided for us which was very thoughtful and made things a lot easier.

Unfortunately the Lagoon Terrace restaurant was closed for renovations so meals took place in the Palace Ballroom which was a little stuffy but not too bad.

The pool area is great and the lagoon is beautiful. Some really good snorkelling around the jetty. Peek under the boat if you want to find Nemo!

The staff are lovely, friendly and helpful. We used the babysitting service on our last night and were really happy with everything. We had pre-paid our accommodation via Expedia and it did appear on our room bill at the end but was sorted no problems.

Buses and taxis are easily accessible from the resort or just outside and Port Vila is only a short ride away. We hired a car but things can be a little hard to find without a decent map. The Blue Lagoon is worth a look (and swim!)

Room Tip: We stayed in room 310, a Garden Bungalow. You can see the lagoon from here and even more so from 311...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Dear bethamphetamine,

Many thanks for your review. It is wonderful that you enjoyed your stay with us and managed to find Nemo! The blue lagoon is definitely a nice swimming hole and with things really starting to heat up here now I would suggest this will become more and more popular. Otherwise a drink at the pool bar and a swim in the Resort can cool you down just as well!.

Kind Regards

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 14 November 2013

My family and I have travelled to Vanuatu every year for the past 10 years, going twice last year. We have stayed at the Le Lagon everytime as we have never had a bad experience. We have been fortunate to see some amazing changes of the Le Lagon over the past 10 years. Rooms have been upgraded, new pool and swim up bar, refurb of the reception area, the Oasis Spa, Wild Ginger, tennis courts, new kids club, wedding deck on the beach and much more. All these things being upgraded over the years is great, but it's not why we keep coming back. We return every year because of the way we are treated by the fantastic staff, and the relaxed way of life in Vanuatu. Walk thru town, and the people are fantastic. They appreciate the tourists putting money into their economy. If you are lookin for a bar that you can get a drink when you snap your fingers, then stay in Sydney. If the bar staff are a little slow at times, then just relax, after all, your on holidays. If you relax and embrace the Vanuatu way of life, you will enjoy your stay greatly. I have done it 11 times. Last year went we at the Le Lagon for Xmas. PERFECT XMAS DAY. Food was sensational like always, always had a drink in hand, and great entertainment. Our kids (now 12,9 & 8mths) have always enjoyed the kids club as they always have plenty of activities, and let me tell you, it's great to have dinner every night with just the wife..Try the Wild Ginger, best food on the island. Try the Sushimi. We have been to this resort 11 times because of people like Willy Jack, Sarah Bell, Inneth, Big Tom, Winnie, Soloman,Graham, Danny and the rest of the staff. We will back for our 12th Visit sooner than later. Woodward's

Room Tip: I like to stay in the Garden Superiors facing the golf course.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Dear Todd W

Many thanks for your review. It is always great to get feedback such as this from seasoned travelers into Vanuatu. Its fantastic that you have noticed the changes but at the same time suggested it is the wonderful people of Vanuatu that truly brings you back! Most definitely embracing the way of life here is the key to kick start your holiday. Relax, read a book, have a leisurely drink at a bar, enjoy a variety of dining options in the Hotel or in town, hire a car or taxi and go around the Island.......immerse yourself into the culture. You will love it if you let it!

Many Thanks

Murwillumbah
Reviewed 13 November 2013

We stayed at Le lagon in late october for eight days as a 50th wedding present to ourselves,having been there twice before.
The setting on the lagoon is glorious,our room overlooking the beach with a large private balcony.
The gardens ,paths and pool area are well kept.
There is major work in progress to renovate the main kitchen, and this had caused some slackening of the usual speedy well run standard of breakfast service.
However,management listened to a point of view made about our disappointment, acted speedily and professionally,and followed it up .
Dinner at the Wild Ginger was exquisite .
We will be going back next year.

Room Tip: Overlooking the lagoon,catching the breeze,no pool noise but short walk to restaurant.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Elizabeth N,

Wonderful you have taken the time on trip advisor to post your comments and always lovely to see out return guests enjoying what they have become used to. Yes there is the breakfast renovations coming along, nearly complete, however management are always available to listen to any ones point of view so that any rectification that may be required can be acted on. In this case thank you for giving us the opportunity to do so. Look forward to seeing you for a fourth visit!

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 8 November 2013 via mobile

What a lovely place. We cannot fault the staff, their friendliness has made our holiday a pleasure from start to finish. We stayed in a water bungalow which was large, clean and private. We had a three metre walk to the lagoon and an unimpeded view from the balcony - perfect!

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BookerGE
Dear BookerGE,

A lovely short and sweet review. Many thanks for this and I do hope you will be able to find the time to pop over and visit us again (remember, we are only 3 hours away?).

Thanks again,

Perth, Australia
Reviewed 6 November 2013

As a regular traveller to Vanuatu, I thought I'd give the Warwick Le Lagon a go for a change as I've heard it's very, very nice... BIG MISTAKE!!! I will NEVER stay here again.

A few points to share about my stay:

- WiFi is expensive! Around $10/ hour. For this size hotel, I thought it would at least be free in reception or the pool area like other hotels of this size or smaller.
- Stayed in a garden bungalow which was nice, the rooms were fine but a long way from any amenities which can be better as its quieter. The gardens are immaculate & housekeeping is generally good as are these staff.
- The resort in general is a long way from the centre of town so you have to catch a taxi (plenty at the front of the resort waiting), or walk up to the main road to hail a bus.
- The pillows are TERRIBLE and the bed was so squeaky that every time I moved during the night, I woke up. I spoke to reception about this after the first night but nothing was done about it. After my second night of no sleep, I had to speak to reception again & asked them to have it fixed ASAP, which they did but only because I was persistant.
- The breakfast... OHHHHHH MY GOD - SHOCKING. Worst breakfast experience I've ever had. On the 4/5 mornings that I ate breakfast there were barely any staff on, literally no plates/ glasses/ cutlery or food available for sometimes 30 minutes. The hoards of people waiting for something to be brought out would get devoured within a minute or two. Tables took ages to be cleared, by which time flies were enjoying any scraps left. On all 4 mornings, there wasn't any normal milk available for people to put on their cereal (that's if any cereal was actually left) & the option was strawberry flavored milk... That the kids loved, but not my thing. The egg station consisted of one chef cooking eggs for a long line of people in ONE tiny frypan & burner. Overall a terrible meal experience.
- The pool area has broken & slippery tiles. Pool chairs/ sun beds are dirty & some broken.
- CHECK YOUR BILL WHEN YOU CHECK OUT!!! On check out, I was presented with the final account of which included mini bar costs from THE DAY BEFORE I ARRIVED, as well as food & drinks from the restaurant (Wild Ginger) coming to nearly $100, that I didn't even step a foot inside of (after the breakfast experiences, I certainly wasn't eating any other meals in this place). When I told the very unfriendly lady on reception that we didn't eat at the restaurant she got quite huffy with me & it was a huge effort to take it off the account.

The surroundings of the resort are gorgeous. Starfish Cove is absolutely beautiful, especially at sunrise. But overall I was extremely disappointed with Warwick Le Lagon. The only recommendation I can give is do not stay here! The owners should consider getting rid of the current management & get some people who actually care about their service & guests.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
5 Thank APfromWA
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 5 November 2013

This is my third time in Port Vila and I wouldn’t dream of staying at any other accommodation. Le Lagon is more than a hotel: it’s a holiday resort. Situated on Erakor Lagoon and fenced off from the rest of the island, it offers a stretch of semi-private beach, immaculate gardens, five swimming pools, a tennis court and a variety of accommodation from hotel rooms and bures to private water-edge villas with their own private gardens and spa pools.

Older kids can roam the resort, use the on-site gym, play tennis, hire kayaks, swim in one of the pools or snorkel in the lagoon – we certainly didn’t see the need to supervise our 9 and 10-year old. For younger children there is the all-day kids’ club and in-room babysitting services.

No resort review would be complete without mentioning the food. You have the option of eating in town, but during our five days at Le Lagon not once were we tempted to go outside the resort. Le Lagon provides a different theme-dinner every day of the week (on Tuesdays it’ Melanesian Buffet where you get to sample local delights like island spinach in coconut milk and meat cooked in an earth pit). The resort’s own gourmet Wild Ginger restaurant also deserves a mention, with its fusion cuisine of Japanese and Pacific Island.

Oh, and if you have room service, take it outside - every room has outdoor chairs and table, or carry your plate to the jetty. Unforgettable!

The rooms are spotlessly clean with folded towels and flowers greeting you on arrival. The staff are super-helpful, always smiling and willing to go the extra mile.

With exotic cocktails served in the poolside bar while you’re sitting on bar stools inside the water, and massages on the beach, what more can you ask for?

Whether it’s privacy or a party you’re after, a family holiday or a romantic retreat, this is the holiday resort for you.

Room Tip: The further away from the swimming pool, the quieter your room will be. But I'm tempted to try t...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Yvonne W
Dear Yvonne W

Thank you for your review. I am thrilled you have enjoyed your stay and that Port Vila continues to be a choice of destination for you. It is great you have enjoyed all the facilities on offer and try different things. This is what holidays are all about, Relax, try different things, catch up some sleep, no alarm clocks, swim, nice cold drink...........all in the sun with the boss back at home......unless you are the boss of course:)