“Beautiful location spoilt by poor communication and lack of managerial competence”

Warwick Le Lagon - Vanuatu
Ranked #13 of 47 Hotels in Port Vila
queensland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2009

We were greeted on arrival like VIP guests and unfortunately this moment was short lived. We were escorted to our room which was at the furthermost point of the resort. This in itself would not have been an issue except that we had booked a Lagoon Superior room which according to all the maps were on the other side of the resort. I phoned reception to rectify this and was told the room we were in was recently renovated and was now a Superior and not a Standard room.

Recently renovated was an understatement as I believe a man stomping around on the roof of your room painting it, makes it a current renovation. We were also cut off from the rest of the resort by complete construction works being carried out on the block beside us. When booking our holiday we were aware that renovations were underway, as per information on the website and from our agent. However these renovations were to end June 30. I understand jobs going overtime but works should have stopped during peak season and guests who have come to a resort for a relaxing holiday should not be put in a construction zone! It also states on the website that as these blocks are at the far end of the resort any inconvenience to guests would be minimal. This would have been true had guests not been placed beyond and beneath the renovations.

When I mentioned to reception that the block was still being renovated and we wanted to be moved to where we had booked, I was told nothing was available. This included the manager. I phoned for the manager again the following day after being woken by saws, hammers, workers, trucks and bulldozers - he was still unavailable. I received loads of apologies but no help. I was told my complaint was noted and would be passed on to the manager. I was still not contacted on the third day and was by now very disappointed and angry. On the third day of my complaint I was told supposedly by a manager that a room would be available the following day and to have our bags packed in the morning, hand in our key and when we got back from our tour, all our things would be moved and waiting for us. Finally.

So we arrive back wet, sandy exhausted, to discover that unfortunately that room would not hold a family of four (and yes they had asked and confirmed that we were four as was obvious by our booking). "So sorry" you will have to go back to the other room where our bags were still packed and waiting. "Sorry" we do not have any other rooms available but we can move you tomorrow. Lucky for us a bus load of new guests had just arrived and I dug my heels in refusing to go back to construction city. Amazingly they found an empty room and the manager escorted us out of the reception. We had to wait another hour for our bags and their was not enough towels but after three days of "we apologise" finally some problem solving.

The food was average. The cleanliness average. The service by the local vanuatu people laid back ,slow but very friendly. The location beautiful/stunning. It was reception and management that let La Lagon down with their uncaring, unresponsive, misleading behaviour and the misconception that an apology is problem solving.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank schmitten

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (455)
Melbourne
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2009

My friends and I arrived on the late flight from Melbourne, so we got to the hotel about 1am. When we were shown to our room it only had two double beds, and we had requested a triple. The staff were incredibly unhelpful, asking us to share for the night and they would put an extra bed in the next day. The hotel wasn't full, so I requested they find us a room with 3 beds. They said no rooms had 3 beds. I found that very hard to believe. Eventually I suggested they give another room to the third person, and we would sort it out the next day. My friend went to the new room and low and behold it had 3 beds, so we all just moved there. Mind you neither room had any towels, and they weren't able to find us any at that hour. It was about 2.30 by the time we hopped into bed, only to experience my first earth tremor (will have felt many more after the week!). The construction crew working on the block next door start work about 7.30am too.

The pool is nice, though somewhat cold. Swim up bar is great, and was always able to get a sun lounger. I had planned on doing some of their activities like windsurfing, but after a wade in the lagoon I discovered its filled with a gazillion star fish. Not small ones either, big ones. Everywhere. We're a bunch of sissy's so that turned us off doing anything in the lagoon. Even if you wore shoes like they reccomend you would still be stepping on them, and I didn't want to pick a fight...

We ate out in town a bit, the steak place was great. Did the hotel buffet once, very expensive and not that nice. They offer a two for 1 wine deal, but I'm pretty sure they charged us for two wines on the bill checking out. Couldn't be bothered arguing. As others have mentioned Wild Ginger definately worth a look, I'm very tame with my food choices and I think there's something for everyone. Also worth catching the free ferry accross to Erakor for dinner, one of the yummiest meals I've ever had, and a lovely location. You MUST go to the waterfalls, amazingly beautiful. Snorkling and diving out at Hideaway was also another highlight.

Each time we went out in the morning and came back in the arvo our room wasn't finished being made up. Even when it was apparant we were waiting to get in there, that maid wasn't certaintly wasn't hurrying. Apparantly there is a towel shortage as well, frequently we were 1 short, and the pool towels have to be returned by 7 or your get charged (I didn't test this however).

Overall, an okay resort but wouldn't stay there again. Mainly the staff letting it down.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank MissWise
Christchurch
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2009

We had four nights here, we were welcomed with a lovely cocktail when we arrived and taken to our room. We did stay in a standard room which if I went back I would spend the extra and go to a garden room. The pool area is great, and we enjoyed the swim up bar. I think we must have went through the cocktail list. I would definately look if you are thinking to eat and drink at the resort to have the meal package as the NZ dollar makes food and drink quite dear. The staff at the pool bar were exceptional, we are used to island time by having a few trips to Fiji etc and do not expect to have things straight away, we were on holiday to relax and that we did. (I must admit we did'n't have any problem with waiting) We did go in February and not in school holidays, maybe this is why others had a wait the resort may have been full. We had a lovely meal at Wild Ginger and found all the meals to be good. We enjoyed how friendly the staff were to guests, to even shaking your hand as you come in for breakfast, dinner etc.
The resort also put on a few entertainment nights, where you could mix after the dancing etc and take photos. We also both had a 30minute massage, this was in our package, and yes guys I would reccommend it to you, my husband and myself throughly were fully relaxed after this.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank TykeChristchurch
Sydney
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2009

My partner and I booked a garden superior room and were upgraded to a lovely garden bungalow instead. It had two double beds, and was clean with a great shower and separate tub.
We got the all-inclusive package and ended up eating at Wild Ginger every night (for a small extra surcharge). You can order as much food as you want and it is a truly outstanding, superb restaurant, a real gem. One of the best restaurants I have ever been to anywhere in the world. We are still raving about it many months later and yearning for a return visit. Everything, especially all the desserts, comes highly recommended.
Pool area is nice, pool bar was just great. We liked the local beer, and the house wines and champagne were fine too. Good selection of cocktails.
People are friendly but extremely laid-back. Don't come here thinking your every need will be anticipated and for people to wait on you hand and foot - what may take many people 5 minutes can take half an hour in Vanuatu - but it seems to work and you just have to surrender to it and enjoy the slow pace.

Other highlights:
- SCUBA Diving (make sure you get a free lesson in the pool)
- Cascade Waterfalls
- a walk around the golf course
- snorkelling in the lagoon
- catamaran, kayaking
- trivia night at the lobby bar

The resort is so spacious you hardly ever run into anyone. Kids sticking their grubby hands into the buffet dishes served at the main restaurant was a little sickening, so just go to the excellent Wild Ginger instead.
Above anything else I recommend not going to any restaurant other than Wild Ginger. We went into town to a highly-recommend local restaurant for Valentine's Day and were thoroughly disappointed to find below average food for above average prices. Should have gone to Wild Ginger! You will regret it forever if you don't ;-)

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank daxxi
Melbourne
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2009

We enjoyed 10 wonderul nights at Le Lagon with our two young boys ( 3 & 5).
Overall we were very happy with the resort and the service. The staff were lovely and very helpful. The resort itself is beautiful, the pools amazing and it never felt busy.
We stayed in a Garden Superior room with full buffet breakfast included. We are glad we did not choose the all incusive package as we would not have got our moneys worth and we wanted to be able to eat away from the resort if we wanted to. We ate at the bufett twice and the food was okay , however we preferred eat at the Wild Ginger or a local Italian / French resturant - La Casa. ( la Casa will deliver to le lagon - nice simple pizzas, pasta and salads)
The kids menu at Wild Ginger is much better than the Bufett menu - so for us it was worth paying the 800Vatu surchage for the kids and eating there. Overall it didn't cost much more ( some nights less) than the buffett meal and the atmoshpere,views and food are much better .
A few tips you might find helpful :
- catch taxis or buses from the main road
- buy drinks and snacks from the supermarket
- Join the kids club for an excursion - Sunday school or school visit
-we found the cost of organised tours to be not much more than doing it yourself - as it was all free for kids it was great value - we went to Mele falls and Hideaway Island - Both these tours are unmissable and it was not a problem bringing the kids - They loved it!
- if you go to hideaway island choose the package that includes lunch and the glass bottom boat as it is better value
- take the free ferry to Erakor island - kids can play in sand and water and coffee is relatively better than le lagons !
- explore Erakor - its a nice walk around the island
- Take the kids on the free canoes - we saw tropical fish and star fish
- walk up to the top of golf course for great views
- the kids lunch menu has limited healthy options - we asked for more salad than chips , the staff were happy to do this
We used the kids club on a few occasions . we were happy to use the service where the activities were held at the kids club. However, we were not confident sending our boys on excurions away from the resort without us. Also we were a bit concerned with the ratio of carers to kids at swimming time. 10 kids to one carer at times. We were advised by another family that our three year old was alone at the toddler pool unsupervised for a short time.

Overall it was a wonderul holiday and we thoroughly enjoyed out stay at le lagon !

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank planaholidayayear
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2009

A warm welcome including a personal greeting from a local leader and a musical performance of traditional songs had us feeling pretty happy with our selection of Le Lagon Resort for our first trip to Vanuatu.
We found the service delivery by staff was courteous but of a standard below what we expect from a 4 star resort.
Our room was in a clean condition with a minor drainage problem which was rectified the same day reported.
Food service poolside is slow and the food itself was OK while the lunchtime BBQ (on Sunday) was very good and left us wondering why this is not daily as it creates a totally different atmosphere among the guests and staff.
Room service has a limited time between 7pm-10pm.Some food delivered was not edible even for a person who can digest anything called a pizza or at least I thought I could.
Breakfast buffet had a lot of overcooked American style foods which we expected but fruit was limited by variety and their reasoning was that most is imported from Australia so this limits what they can provide.(bacon, sausage, hash browns, pancakes etc would these be locally produced?)
However the quality of food and service at the Wild Ginger Restaurant was excellent in all respects. Well Done Staff!
Activities on offer were sufficient and the tour desk and reception staff were again courteous without ever delivering that special service level that makes you want to return.
Disappointing overall for us after reading such good reviews and in time we may give them a second chance to impress.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank DavefromAustralia
Auckland, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2009

Quite a big resort, but reasonably old & no more than a 3-star. The pools are nice, but they don't have an area for adults, or have any restrictions on children running around, etc. We arrived at 1pm and were told we couldn't checkin till 2pm. It was 2.30pm by the time the room was ready, & then we found the door wouldn't lock, & the couple next door to us had been moved because of this, but it had not been fixed. Not a good start and even after 2 days & the maintenance guy checking it 3-times, we had to move rooms. The people are friendly, but "island time" is an understatement, and customer-service isn't really top of mind. We had a couple of afternoons where we went back to the room to find it still hadn't been cleaned at 3pm. The main restaurant was very average, with smorgusboard each night. The other Alacarte restaurant was nice, but expensive. Prices for NZers are very expensive, as the exchange rate is not good. Note about exchanging your money, don't do it in NZ, do it at 'Goodies' based in Port Vila centre & around Vanuatu. We exchanged in NZ at $58.50 to the dollar and Goodies were doing $68.00 to the dollar.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple