“Lovely place to stay”

Warwick Le Lagon - Vanuatu
Ranked #10 of 47 Hotels in Port Vila
Reviewed 16 November 2010

We stayed at Le Lagon for 10 nights in late October/early November. My husband and I travelled with our two sons aged 5 and 8. Also with my parents. We stayed in Garden Superior Rooms which were excellent. Our room (610) was really convenient to the facilities and was situated in the beautiful landscaped gardens. The layout of the room was a little odd and it didn't have a bath, but we didn't spend a lot of time in the room so it didn't really matter. The room was serviced daily to a high standard. The hotel is in a lovely spot on the lagoon and conveniently located close to the supermarket and town. The food in the Lagoon Terrace restaurant was average (not great and not terrible). The kids loved the Kids Club menu each day though and we loved the breakfasts. The hotel could do with a new toaster though (the 6 slice current model is woefully inadequate). My kids spent a bit of time in the Kids Club but unfortunately the normal building is being renovated (along with the adjacent playground) and this did hamper their activities quite severely. It would have been nice to have been notified of this at the time of our booking.
We had dinner at Wild Ginger one night which was superb. My mother and I also booked a massage at the Spa which was lovely and quite reasonably priced.
The pool complex is probably one of the best I have ever seen.
Vanuatu is a really interesting place with a lot of history and the touch of French makes it unique. It is an expensive place to visit though so be prepared to pay more for just about everything than at home. I would recommend hiring a car for at least one day and making the effort to see Hideaway Island, Waterfalls and if you have time, driving around the island. The best lunch we had was at Tamanu on the Beach and on a separate day we had a great time at Crystal Blue Lagoon where the kids handled turtles, checked out the sharks, moray eels and coconut crabs.
Shop around in Port Vila, the markets are not the cheapest place to buy gifts. Use Goodies to change money - definitely the best rates.
At at Harbour View Chinese restaurant which was great as was The Waterfront.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank Connaugh
Write a ReviewReviews (1,579)

Reviewed 22 October 2010

I stayed 2 nights at Le Lagon for a businesss trip, and I must say I was very impressed by the lobby area, gardens and pool area - truly beautiful, well looked after gardens and four or five different pools near the restaurant.

The staff is also nice and very smiley (well, it is Vanuatu after all), but not in a hurry. I happened to check in at around 1am because my flight arrived so late at night, and while the staff was accommodating and offered me a drink, all I really wanted was to get to my room, but it took about 30min to check in, take my details and get someone to bring my luggage over. They also asked for a deposit to be paid upfront, which I thought was pretty weird since I gave my credit card details at the time I booked...

I stayed in a standard room, which is actually pretty basic looking, but was still OK. The A/C system was not be too noisy and most importantly for me, the room did not have that mouldy smell that you have sometimes in hotels in the tropics. the bathroom is directly off the bedroom, with no door, but that did not bother me. there is no bathtub and I must say I did not like the shampoo/conditionner, it left my hair all coarse. A collesgue stayed in a family room/bungalow, and she told me it was all pretty basic looking in there as well. I must say that the bed was comfortable though.

Breakfast is included and the range offered is everything you would expect: breads, pastries, bacon and eggs, etc. It was fine for me.

I seems that this hotel is targetting families and maybe this is why the room decors are not the most important thing on their agenda. I have stayed at Le Meridien before (now Palms Resort I believe) and their rooms were a bit nicer, while the lobby is a bit tired. Apparently they have just changed owners and are doing lots of renovations there at the moment ( I have heard that the pool has been ripped out).

The Japanese restaurant on location, Wild Ginger, is very good.

Overall a pleasant stay, but not the luxury hotel I expected.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank barneybanana
Reviewed 22 October 2010

We stayed in a standard room overlooking the lagoon for 5 nights and we loved our stay. The room was cleaned from top to bottom each day and the whole resort was well maintained. There was always things happening and had a great atmosphere. Staff were great and we made friends with a few lovely people. Le Lagon is alittle out of town but this isnt a problem as you can always find a cab out the front (or an even cheaper bus up the street) to take you to town. Breakfast buffet is incredable! Everything you can think of to eat, you have to try the chocolate doughnuts. We stayed in Vila for 14 nights and if we knew before how nice Le Legon was we would have stayed here for the entire time instead of wasting our time and money at Iririki! Le Lagon is a great family resort and we will definatly be back.

1  Thank ErinR80
Reviewed 21 October 2010

After having a great flight with pacific blue we arrived at le lagon and it was pretty much everything we expected. After settling into our room we had a few minor issues of handles falling off doors and mould in the bathroom and we thought here we go but these were all fixed and by the end of the stay we had actually forgot all about these things as the rest of the holiday was fabulous. You could pick at lots of little things in the room on arrival but once you get into the whole island swing of things you really don't care about this. We stayed in a lagoon view room 519 and it was amazing just being able to look out your door to the most absoloutly amazing view of the lagoon where there is starfish, crystal clear water, on sundays local kids swimming, and locals fish from their canoes in the evening and mornings. These rooms are perfect if you have children so you can sit and have a drink on your balcony and watch the kids play and swim. Though when we next go back we will upgrade to a lagoon bungalow for more privacy.

The swimming pool is wonderful, the grounds and gardens are immaculate and you really feel like you are at a tropical island resort.

The people are the most friendly, smiley, happy, honest people you will ever meet in the world. Their attitude to life is infectious and you will want to go back again and again for this reason. In town you feel safe and don't have to worry about pick pockets or bartering your prices like some places we have visited. Don't exchange your money at hotel or airport go straight to Goodies in town heaps better value. Go to Kung Fuey ( i think it is) its at the end of the main street in town,for your duty free alchol.

We ate at the buffet restaurant in resort on melanesian and seafood night and it was lovely. But you can not beat the food at Chill in town this is a must its 5 star quality and great value. The lunch was also excellent and only about $10 with a drink as well.

We hired a mini bus and driver as there was 8 of us to take us to hideaway island, cascade waterfalls and turtle bay this cost about $120 for the whole day and he waited for us at each stop. This was the most fantastic day. Hideaway island was the best snorkeling ever, the coloured fish was incredable and not too far off shore so the kids were confident and just loved it ,they wanted to go back. An underwater camera would of been good and don't forget your rock shoes!! The waterfall was great and fun to cool down. Turtle bay was also great and the kids got to hold baby turtles, feed baby sharks and got photo of coconut crab and patted the big pig that the locals were fattening to eat!

This is a great resort for kids, the kids club is being renovated at the moment so when thats finished it will be great. The kids still enjoyed kids club when they went.
The day spa massage was also nice.

Overall the kids and us had a fantastic time and will go back next year and stay at Le Lagon again. 7 Nights was not long enough and we will make it 10 nights next time!

2  Thank Thompsons101
Reviewed 18 October 2010

The resort was lovely, staff were very friendly, lagon view and access delightful. Room itself was great - BUT it had a connecting door with the next room. Children and babies crying throughout night extremely audible, impossible to sleep. Man snoring extremely loudly next door, we had to baffle the noise as best we could with towels etc. We didn't choose 5.30am wake up times, but with the children in the next room all hammering us with noise, this happened 2 mornings. We were not told about the interconnecting doors at the time of booking which was unfortunate. Management needs to replace the doors with more solid versions and seal the gaps around them properly. Otherwise, extremely happy with our holiday.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 October 2010

When I stay at a resort I like it to feel like a resort and le lagon does feel like a tropical island resort. Its pretty with lots of palm trees, great pools, blue lagoon, gas lanterns along the beach at night and a tahitian danci.ng exhibition one night.
I was there as part of a wedding group and it was a great place for a group, plenty of areas where we could be together, but large enough to be away from the group if you felt like some quiet time.
There are kids around so if that bothers you go to an adults only resort.
The lagoon view rooms were very pleasant but there was a bit of an issue of banging doors from time to time as the doors can be hard to shut.
The resort is beautifully kept and maintained. We tended to eat out in the town area as we are not into buffet style meals and found lots of fablous restaurants. We also tried wild ginger at le lagon which has a tepanyaki bar which was a lot of fun.
Island time was a bit frustrating at first but once you have chilled out - we didnt notice it anymore.
The wedding I attended was lovely and the group was really happy with our stay.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 October 2010

Make sure on arrival that you have your travel voucher out and ready to give to the reception staff (especially if you have prepaid for the all inclusive meal option).
This will save confusion which package you are on.