“Good - but could have been better” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Warwick Le Lagon - Vanuatu

Warwick Le Lagon - Vanuatu
Ranked #12 of 48 Hotels in Port Vila
Sydney, Australia
“Good - but could have been better”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2010

I've recently come back from a 5 night stay at Le Lagoon and as most people have already mentioned, the pool, grounds and location are great. We went All Inclusive so the cost of food wasn't an issue, however I would have been appalled if I had "paid" money for some of the food served at the pool terrace. The buffet food was overall very good, but again I don't think I'd have been happy to pay $50 for it.

The All Inclusive package includes local Beer/wine and Spirits, not water! Nor cocktails, I think they should revisit that policy because 75% often cocktails are made from local spirits but you still have to pay the full charge which doesn’t seem right to me.

The Island across the water is well worth a visit; their deck area is great to have a relaxing drink upon and it is a great spot for some snorkelling. We did head into the town via taxi (700 Vatu) and I was unimpressed, you can however get a better exchange rate from Goodies exchange rate shops and the duty free shop at the end of town is better value than airport duty free. Speaking of which, a smoker friend said cigarettes are cheaper in the small Vanuatu duty free shop at the airport.

As a recent reviewer mentioned the staff was not very friendly, I tend to agree. I have been to Fiji so the difference was evident - it doesn't hurt to crack a smile and say hello. Additionally we were overcharged on our credit card and are now having to go through the process of getting a refund.

We flew Vanuatu Airways and the planes are dated and there is no in-flight entertainment so take a book or ipod!

Overall we enjoyed ourselves because of the Pool and the location, however if we return to Vanuatu we will try a different resort that is better value in terms of extras and hopefully where the staff are friendlier and they get my final bill correct.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (445)
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2010

We stayed for 4 nights recently and although it is a lovely resort with a great beach location the lack of customer service was extremely disapointing. There were so many service problems throughout our stay, i wont go through them all, some included our sliding flyscreen door being off the rails when we arrived to our room, we reported it the next morning and 2 days later it still had not been fixed. we arrived at 2am in the morning and had the maids waiting at the door at 8.15am, surely they could have been notified we had only arrived a few hrs earlier, not what you want on your first day of holidays. the seafood buffet ($50p/p aud) was appalling and a cold toasted sandwich with cold fries (2 days in a row) was almost $20, the chef who made the omlettes didnt' even look up to acknowledge us when we ordered our breakfast, we were charged for one nights dinner twice, items in the mini bar charged when we didn't have them etc etc. on nearly all days staff walked past us and didn't even say hello, restaurant staff shuffle along , no smiles, like you are a nuisance. the reception lady didn't once greet us with hello, how is your stay going, and when we checked out didn't even say how was your stay, did you have a nice time. nothing, i think that sums up all of the staff. unforunately all of this left us with a sour taste about the hotel, it does have lovely grounds, great pools and beach area, and our food saviour was the great teppanyaki restaurant which had lovely food. we would only recommend this hotel if the customer service improved. i do intend writing to the general manager to detail more of our disapointing experience.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2010

I've lost count how many times we have stayed at Le Lagon-at least 5 or 6, but this is the first time we have stayed there since I discovered TripAdvisor, hence my first review.

As my husband recently had knee surgery, I emailed Le Lagon a few weeks prior to request a room close to the Pool & Lagoon Terrace Restaurant. I received a very prompt reply advising they will do their best to help with this. We were absolutely delighted to be assigned room 401 which could not have been better!

The room had been recently renovated & was lovely-plenty of room, & the biggest shower I have ever seen.

There has been a huge amount of work done at the resort since our last stay. The Lagoon Terrace Restaurant has been renovated with all new decking around it & many more tables & chairs set out on the decking, making it far more spacious. The interior has also been redone, with all new food stations. Unfortunately the hot dishes at breakfast are still cold, (but it always was anyway-no biggie! its still way better than having boring old "healthy" cereal at home).

Theres been lots of work on the gardens & they are lovely.

We rarely have our evening meals at the resort (and didnt have any at all this time) as we prefer to go into town to try all the great restaurants, but had a couple of lunches by the pool & they were great. I was surprised how quick the service was.

Obviously we love Le Lagon as we keep going back. We love how spacious the resort is, theres plenty of room to get away from people if you wish, but also plenty going on if you like to get involved doing things. Its close enough to town to pop in for dinner or shopping. The staff are always delightful, the view across the Lagoon is spectacular.........

We'll be back again!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AnniG
Auckland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2010

We stayed at Le Lagon for 10 nights in late October/early November. My husband and I travelled with our two sons aged 5 and 8. Also with my parents. We stayed in Garden Superior Rooms which were excellent. Our room (610) was really convenient to the facilities and was situated in the beautiful landscaped gardens. The layout of the room was a little odd and it didn't have a bath, but we didn't spend a lot of time in the room so it didn't really matter. The room was serviced daily to a high standard. The hotel is in a lovely spot on the lagoon and conveniently located close to the supermarket and town. The food in the Lagoon Terrace restaurant was average (not great and not terrible). The kids loved the Kids Club menu each day though and we loved the breakfasts. The hotel could do with a new toaster though (the 6 slice current model is woefully inadequate). My kids spent a bit of time in the Kids Club but unfortunately the normal building is being renovated (along with the adjacent playground) and this did hamper their activities quite severely. It would have been nice to have been notified of this at the time of our booking.
We had dinner at Wild Ginger one night which was superb. My mother and I also booked a massage at the Spa which was lovely and quite reasonably priced.
The pool complex is probably one of the best I have ever seen.
Vanuatu is a really interesting place with a lot of history and the touch of French makes it unique. It is an expensive place to visit though so be prepared to pay more for just about everything than at home. I would recommend hiring a car for at least one day and making the effort to see Hideaway Island, Waterfalls and if you have time, driving around the island. The best lunch we had was at Tamanu on the Beach and on a separate day we had a great time at Crystal Blue Lagoon where the kids handled turtles, checked out the sharks, moray eels and coconut crabs.
Shop around in Port Vila, the markets are not the cheapest place to buy gifts. Use Goodies to change money - definitely the best rates.
At at Harbour View Chinese restaurant which was great as was The Waterfront.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank Connaugh
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2010

I stayed 2 nights at Le Lagon for a businesss trip, and I must say I was very impressed by the lobby area, gardens and pool area - truly beautiful, well looked after gardens and four or five different pools near the restaurant.

The staff is also nice and very smiley (well, it is Vanuatu after all), but not in a hurry. I happened to check in at around 1am because my flight arrived so late at night, and while the staff was accommodating and offered me a drink, all I really wanted was to get to my room, but it took about 30min to check in, take my details and get someone to bring my luggage over. They also asked for a deposit to be paid upfront, which I thought was pretty weird since I gave my credit card details at the time I booked...

I stayed in a standard room, which is actually pretty basic looking, but was still OK. The A/C system was not be too noisy and most importantly for me, the room did not have that mouldy smell that you have sometimes in hotels in the tropics. the bathroom is directly off the bedroom, with no door, but that did not bother me. there is no bathtub and I must say I did not like the shampoo/conditionner, it left my hair all coarse. A collesgue stayed in a family room/bungalow, and she told me it was all pretty basic looking in there as well. I must say that the bed was comfortable though.

Breakfast is included and the range offered is everything you would expect: breads, pastries, bacon and eggs, etc. It was fine for me.

I seems that this hotel is targetting families and maybe this is why the room decors are not the most important thing on their agenda. I have stayed at Le Meridien before (now Palms Resort I believe) and their rooms were a bit nicer, while the lobby is a bit tired. Apparently they have just changed owners and are doing lots of renovations there at the moment ( I have heard that the pool has been ripped out).

The Japanese restaurant on location, Wild Ginger, is very good.

Overall a pleasant stay, but not the luxury hotel I expected.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank barneybanana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2010

We stayed in a standard room overlooking the lagoon for 5 nights and we loved our stay. The room was cleaned from top to bottom each day and the whole resort was well maintained. There was always things happening and had a great atmosphere. Staff were great and we made friends with a few lovely people. Le Lagon is alittle out of town but this isnt a problem as you can always find a cab out the front (or an even cheaper bus up the street) to take you to town. Breakfast buffet is incredable! Everything you can think of to eat, you have to try the chocolate doughnuts. We stayed in Vila for 14 nights and if we knew before how nice Le Legon was we would have stayed here for the entire time instead of wasting our time and money at Iririki! Le Lagon is a great family resort and we will definatly be back.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank ErinR80
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2010

After having a great flight with pacific blue we arrived at le lagon and it was pretty much everything we expected. After settling into our room we had a few minor issues of handles falling off doors and mould in the bathroom and we thought here we go but these were all fixed and by the end of the stay we had actually forgot all about these things as the rest of the holiday was fabulous. You could pick at lots of little things in the room on arrival but once you get into the whole island swing of things you really don't care about this. We stayed in a lagoon view room 519 and it was amazing just being able to look out your door to the most absoloutly amazing view of the lagoon where there is starfish, crystal clear water, on sundays local kids swimming, and locals fish from their canoes in the evening and mornings. These rooms are perfect if you have children so you can sit and have a drink on your balcony and watch the kids play and swim. Though when we next go back we will upgrade to a lagoon bungalow for more privacy.

The swimming pool is wonderful, the grounds and gardens are immaculate and you really feel like you are at a tropical island resort.

The people are the most friendly, smiley, happy, honest people you will ever meet in the world. Their attitude to life is infectious and you will want to go back again and again for this reason. In town you feel safe and don't have to worry about pick pockets or bartering your prices like some places we have visited. Don't exchange your money at hotel or airport go straight to Goodies in town heaps better value. Go to Kung Fuey ( i think it is) its at the end of the main street in town,for your duty free alchol.

We ate at the buffet restaurant in resort on melanesian and seafood night and it was lovely. But you can not beat the food at Chill in town this is a must its 5 star quality and great value. The lunch was also excellent and only about $10 with a drink as well.

We hired a mini bus and driver as there was 8 of us to take us to hideaway island, cascade waterfalls and turtle bay this cost about $120 for the whole day and he waited for us at each stop. This was the most fantastic day. Hideaway island was the best snorkeling ever, the coloured fish was incredable and not too far off shore so the kids were confident and just loved it ,they wanted to go back. An underwater camera would of been good and don't forget your rock shoes!! The waterfall was great and fun to cool down. Turtle bay was also great and the kids got to hold baby turtles, feed baby sharks and got photo of coconut crab and patted the big pig that the locals were fattening to eat!

This is a great resort for kids, the kids club is being renovated at the moment so when thats finished it will be great. The kids still enjoyed kids club when they went.
The day spa massage was also nice.

Overall the kids and us had a fantastic time and will go back next year and stay at Le Lagon again. 7 Nights was not long enough and we will make it 10 nights next time!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family