“Dissappointing is an understatement”

Erakor Island Resort & Spa
Ranked #5 of 47 Hotels in Port Vila
Brisbane, Australia
“Dissappointing is an understatement”
Reviewed 15 June 2014

The people of vanuatu are lovely, it's just a shame it is ruined by money hungry expats who don't understand guest experience and customer satisfaction. The word "resort" is obviously applied to any sub-par accommodation facility.

I traveled to Erakor in early June with another couple - Both us and them have a 1 year old child.

Stayed at Erakor Island in a Family loft Vila and if there was a phrase more straight forward then "bitterly disappointing" I'd use it.

Firstly, the resort is not what you would expect a resort to be. There's very little to do there apart from swim. The restaurant is overpriced with drinks and meals costing as much (or more) as they do in Aus. But that's not the bad thing - the owners and managers run the place by offering fickle service and no respect to their guests.
The resort thought it best to put two 1 year old kids in a room nearest a wedding where the music raged until my complaint at midnight (although it was meant to be 10pm). It's not like we booked the resort the night before, I refused to pay for that night due to the incompetence of management.

As both children (and the adults) hadn't slept the night before, my family left the island for the night and went to the casino. My friends stayed on the island and were kept awake by the Melanesian feast which was going on right next to the room.

We returned to the island the next day as we had booked a garden villa (so did our friends) which by the description offers a king room with garden views and 10m from the beach...according to them. The room barely had a double bed in it, there was no water for 5 hours and when it cam on it blew the shower head off and the view from the room was a wooden fence. If you walked behind the block of rooms, it smelt like a garbage tip. You might as well have been in a demountable room in the west of Queensland.

When I informed the owner about the issue with the water and the shower head blowing off, she dismissed it and said we should be grateful for the refund of the first night. She wanted an argument and said we had been nothing but trouble since being there. Well - when you pay $400 a night - you expect a certain level of service and commitment from the hotel. All I can say here is that they are after a get rich quick scheme. They pay staff $2 Aus an hour and charge a fortune. I feel like a sucker - don't be one to.

Breakfast is another bad experience. For the amount you pay for a night on the island - you would expect a decent breakfast. Breakfast is very poor. Bread, some fruit (but it usually runs out), and some cereal. That is all. Service at breakfast time is poor.

The whole Erakor experience was very below average. If you speak with the locals, they recommend Hideway Island for swimming and Iririki Island for accommodation. Take my advice - listen to them. They amount that staff are paid at Erakor resembles their service. BAD.

furthermore, I don't understand all the good reviews on here. Speaking to the people who attended the wedding on the first night - their experiences were equally as bad. 80 year old being put in rooms 500m walk from the reception, gas bottles being changed at 7am, reservations not being understood.

DO NOT STAY HERE!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
13 Thank dbarsby

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed 9 June 2014

We had 10 days at Erakor Island Resort in late May for a special birthday. It was perfect and we had a wonderful time.

The staff were lovely, the guys on the ferry were particularly fun, Gilbert & Donald.
We had the Chef's Dinner for the birthday and it was amazing! Four courses that would blow Masterchef out of the water! Thanks so much Chef Tyrone.

We were in a beautiful beachfront spa villa and it was stunning, loved the options of the day bed, hammock or our own beach loungers. It was so restful and peaceful.

Sure, the breakfast wasn't extensive but we found it was enough, there's was always the option of a cooked breakfast if we wanted more.

The beach was wonderful to swim in, much nicer than some other resorts we saw, golden sand, crystal clear water and very safe for kids.

We had a few evening meals at restaurants in Port Vila all of which were excellent, especially Élan on Wharf Road.

The best holiday we've ever had and Erakor Island Resort was fantastic, can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: Beachfront spa villa 8 was a perfect location. Not too far to walk to reception/restaurant area, bu...
Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Marg065
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 3 June 2014

The room was pretty average... Tired, ants in the bathroom, a day bed but no chair in the room, comfortable bed, ....
The breakfast was quite poor.... Very little fruit, average coffee, slow toaster, slow & unenthusiastic service....
The restaurant food was mostly very good ... One steak was quite tough but the other was good, and the fish was excellent.

The weather was quite mixed... Lots of wind & quite cool, but no flies or mozzies!

The snorkelling & reef walking was very good. The tide goes out a long way & quite strongly so you have to be aware while snorkelling.

The staff were mostly friendly & happy to help you.

Room Tip: The rooms that face to the west have the best views & are more sheltered from the south easterly...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank john a
Melbourne
Reviewed 27 May 2014

We arranged for our wedding here in Oct 2013, weather was fantastic and staff were amazing. Lita helped me organize everything and the day was magical.
It was our second marriage so we only wanted to take us and our 3 teenage children to celebrate the wedding. (Had a massive engagement at home for everyone else!).
We stayed for 7 days, had beachfront villa was fantastic. The only downside was you got a bit sick of the same breaky each morning. Dinners we took ferry back to Port Villa and had wonderful different experiences. Not a cheap place to go but was well worth it. Will definitely return, maybe next time without the kids for some real romantic time!

Room Tip: Beach Front Villas facing the main land are not as windy as the other side of island.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 24 May 2014

We went to Erakor Island Resort for our wedding when we were on a cruise. We went there for the day that we were in port and I can not say how much they went out of their way to make the day great. Our cruise ship changed the order of the ports at very short notice (we found out Thursday that we would be in Port Vila on Friday instead of the following Monday!). When i got hold of the lovely staff at Erakor I was told to just relax and they would work their magic. They worked their magic amazingly and we had an excellent day, we have had great comments from guests and every staff member that we came across was so lovely and just wanted us to have a good day. Thanks so much Erakor!!!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jamie T
Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

I have just left the lovely erakor island after a week staying in the big aqua blue house sharing with several other couples travelled here from Australia for our friends wedding which was held at erakor island. The wedding was absolutely perfect and pulled off without a hitch by the lovely lita and there wasn't a dry eye as the couple exchanged vows overlooking the lagoon,the reception was stunning and the food blew every bodies mind! My time at erakor was so relaxing and fun and I can put it all down to one thing, the staff are some of the most lovely genuine people I have met. If you are looking for something more personal than the usual resort and a TRUE getaway from the rat race look no further. I can truly say I will miss my daily chats with all the staff from the ferry operator to the bar staff you are all NAMBAWAN! Highlights aside from the wedding were relaxing massage and treatments with the lovely esther (with a bit if gossip included :) and the Melanesian feast with incredible fire dancing by vanuafire. Erakor is not the most polished and perfect resort but it really is a home away from home and there are plenty of laughs to be shared with the nivuan staff who are so helpful and easygoing. They get you into the swing of island time and teach you to relax! The seclusion of the ocean end of the island is fantastic but it is a bit of a walk to the restaurant reception area ( not an issue if you want a bit if light daily exercise like myself) special mention to Blanca who was praised by the entire group for her fun nature and resourceful and caring attitude. I will never forget my erakor week in paradise and will definitely be back again to see all my erakor friends!

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Casey N
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 23 May 2014

My partner and I were married at Erakor Resort in May. We stayed at the resort, along with a majority of our 30 guests for just over a week. Overall the Staff are very friendly and make the resort what it is. It's a small island and almost every room has beach views, there is some great snorkelling to be had! I've seen reviews on here lamenting the lack of swimming pool, honestly it's not needed - the main beach is great for swimming and there is plenty of water sports gear to borrow.

Wedding planners Natalie and Lita were just amazing. The day went off without a hitch and the food/music/decor/entertainment/cake was perfect. While we were there I think about 3 weddings took place. It looks like the weddings are set up in such a way to have minimal disturbance to the other guests, so you never really feel like you are on the edge of someone else's celebration.

There is one restaurant on the island and the food is lovely. Food and drinks priced similar to Australia but that's to be expected for the quality. I highly recommend the chef's dinner, only one booking per night served on the beach, 3 courses, champagne and cocktails. It compares with some of the top restaurants here in Melbourne.

We stayed in the beachfront deluxe spa villa and it was beautiful. I saw a few of the other rooms and all looked similarly renovated with great views. The only slight hic-up we had was with the flower decorations on the bed. While they looked lovely we found if we didn't take them off the bed straight away we would come back to a bed covered in ants! I guess that's just part of being on a tropical island .. but suggest you move any flowers outside just in case ;)

Room Tip: The WaterFront Family Loft Villas are closest to the main beach/swimming area. Those rooms plus the...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family