The people of vanuatu are lovely, it's just a shame it is ruined by money hungry expats who don't understand guest experience and customer satisfaction. The word "resort" is obviously applied to any sub-par accommodation facility.
I traveled to Erakor in early June with another couple - Both us and them have a 1 year old child.
Stayed at Erakor Island in a Family loft Vila and if there was a phrase more straight forward then "bitterly disappointing" I'd use it.
Firstly, the resort is not what you would expect a resort to be. There's very little to do there apart from swim. The restaurant is overpriced with drinks and meals costing as much (or more) as they do in Aus. But that's not the bad thing - the owners and managers run the place by offering fickle service and no respect to their guests.
The resort thought it best to put two 1 year old kids in a room nearest a wedding where the music raged until my complaint at midnight (although it was meant to be 10pm). It's not like we booked the resort the night before, I refused to pay for that night due to the incompetence of management.
As both children (and the adults) hadn't slept the night before, my family left the island for the night and went to the casino. My friends stayed on the island and were kept awake by the Melanesian feast which was going on right next to the room.
We returned to the island the next day as we had booked a garden villa (so did our friends) which by the description offers a king room with garden views and 10m from the beach...according to them. The room barely had a double bed in it, there was no water for 5 hours and when it cam on it blew the shower head off and the view from the room was a wooden fence. If you walked behind the block of rooms, it smelt like a garbage tip. You might as well have been in a demountable room in the west of Queensland.
When I informed the owner about the issue with the water and the shower head blowing off, she dismissed it and said we should be grateful for the refund of the first night. She wanted an argument and said we had been nothing but trouble since being there. Well - when you pay $400 a night - you expect a certain level of service and commitment from the hotel. All I can say here is that they are after a get rich quick scheme. They pay staff $2 Aus an hour and charge a fortune. I feel like a sucker - don't be one to.
Breakfast is another bad experience. For the amount you pay for a night on the island - you would expect a decent breakfast. Breakfast is very poor. Bread, some fruit (but it usually runs out), and some cereal. That is all. Service at breakfast time is poor.
The whole Erakor experience was very below average. If you speak with the locals, they recommend Hideway Island for swimming and Iririki Island for accommodation. Take my advice - listen to them. They amount that staff are paid at Erakor resembles their service. BAD.
furthermore, I don't understand all the good reviews on here. Speaking to the people who attended the wedding on the first night - their experiences were equally as bad. 80 year old being put in rooms 500m walk from the reception, gas bottles being changed at 7am, reservations not being understood.
DO NOT STAY HERE!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Erakor Island Resort is a beautiful unspoiled island paradise, situated in crystal clear waters on its own private 16 acre island surrounded by white sandy beaches. All bungalows are waterfront with the lagoon just steps away from your private veranda. Enjoy the beauty of staying on a quiet tropical island with easy access to everything off the island, Erakor offers all the facilities of a major resort, but in a relaxed and secluded atmosphere. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Ebookers, Booking.com, Odigeo, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Priceline, Traveltool, S.L.U., Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Erakor Island Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Erakor Island Hotel Port Vila
- Erakor Island Resort And Spa
- Erakor Island Resort & Spa Vanuatu/Port Vila