Erakor Island resort is located about 5 mins drive from the main strip of Port Vila plus 6 minute ferry ride. The ferry is free if you are a guest. A minivan with a B (public bus) costs 150 VT per person and a car with a T (taxi) costs about 300 VT per person from town.
Tip: as you exit the airport there is a sign with a list of hotels with corresponding amounts you should pay for a taxi - very helpful.
Upon arrival we were warmly greeted, our bags taken by porters and a cool drink and induction at the main restaurant floating above the crystal blue water. We were then lead to our beachfront deluxe villa (villa 10) which was clean and comfortable with a hammock, some beach lounges and lovely view. The villas have ceiling fans and all windows have insect screens.
The staff were friendly, the grounds well kept. There is no pool at Erakor however you don't need one as the waters off this island are perfect for a dip, sea kayak/ canoe or paddleboarding. There are sandy beaches to soak up a bit of sun. As keen snorklers there is not a lot in terms of coral, there are a reasonable amount of fish to see, lots of starfish and sea cucumbers. We took a day trip to hideaway island - 1200 VT to take the ferry and some good snorkeling. Hideaway resort was very crowded and not sure i'd like to stay there but was good to visit for the day.
The menu on offer sounds great but the food was a bit disappointing and a bit hit and miss. Breakfast is quite basic but you can order a cooked breakfast as an extra.
There were a lot of families with kids staying and looked like a great place for a family holiday - the beach would be suitable for little ones - maybe not such a great place for a romantic escape - although there were two weddings during our stay and there is an option for a romantic beach dinner (however not far from the gaze of the other diners at the restaurant).
It's easy to get into town where there are supermarkets (No.2 supermarket is the best - it has everything you would need), there is a pharmacy, post office and ATMs all readily available. If you want to change money at an exchange ensure you have cash as it is not possible to use eftpos or credit card. There is the 'Mama's market' on the beachfront (mainly touristy stuff you can find anywhere) - I would recommend finding the ACTIV shop if you want your tourist dollar to go back to local crafts / villages - this is an incentive for local women to make money from their own handicrafts and all proceeds are returned to the island women. Apparently they are currently applying for a UN grant to support this undertaking - a worthy pursuit supporting local culture. A visit to the museum (quite small but very interesting) was worthwhile.
There is no shortage of buses or taxis waiting at the ferry pier or in town willing to drive you where ever you want to go. We paid 5000 VT per person for a taxi for a full day who took us to the cascade falls, the tanna coffee factory and hideaway island, waiting for us at each and driving us back to the ferry at the end of the day. Tip: ask at reception what you should be paying for taxis as some charge more than others.
Erakor Island Resort is a very good option for a place to stay away from but close to Port Vila.
Nearby options (also not right in town) include Irirki and Warrick LeLagon Resort.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Erakor Island Resort is a beautiful unspoiled island paradise, situated in crystal clear waters on its own private 16 acre island surrounded by white sandy beaches. All bungalows are waterfront with the lagoon just steps away from your private veranda. Enjoy the beauty of staying on a quiet tropical island with easy access to everything off the island, Erakor offers all the facilities of a major resort, but in a relaxed and secluded atmosphere. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelsClick, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and Ebookers so you can book your Erakor Island Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Erakor Island Resort And Spa
- Erakor Island Hotel Port Vila
- Erakor Island Resort & Spa Vanuatu/Port Vila