“Brilliant family destination”

Hideaway Island Resort
Ranked #14 of 47 Hotels in Port Vila
Reviewed 22 April 2012

We've been to Hideaway twice and it is one of our favourite places in the world. You are very well looked after, but it is not ostentatious or gaudy. There are no TVs or air conditioning, but there are the most wonderful views, brilliantly easy snorkeling, reasonable food, happy hour at the bar, and it's a great jump point for visiting the rest of Efate. The staff are lovely too. Our children loved it.

• Stayed: April 2012
2  Thank Finnellie

Reviewed 21 April 2012

We have just returned from a 12night stay at Hideaway with 3 kids 15,13 and 10 years old.
Simply FANTASTIC for all of us one of ours best holidays yet. As far as the reef is concerned both diving and snorkelling are brilliant just as the other reviewers have stated.We knew we were not staying at a 5 star resort so went with expectations that the rooms and facilities were between a 2 or 3 star rating. We were pleasantly surprised and loved our oceanfront bungalow where we could relax and enjoy ourselves even if there was 5 of us. We were even able to get some of the local kids to cut open our coconut and chat with our kids !!! The room were large, cleaned daily and fan cooled . Fresh towels for swimming as well were prov ided as often as needed . We did have a few small issues with the mozzies but the staff were only too happy to sort this out for us. Yes there could be some updating of the rooms but I believe this is in the pipeline.The food was great for the kids and the curries to die for!!!I would say similar to good pub food in Australia. Maybe a few more specials of the day would be good when you are staying as long as we did.The staff were mostly locals and only too happy to help and assist. They let you holiday in peace relax and ask for assistance . They don't advertise a kids club but are happy to engage with the children so if you want kids club maybe a 5 star resort and (prices) would be more for you .We were not looking for that and found all our 3 enjoyed every moment on the small island as well as the diving and snorkelling. Yes cruise ship days were busy but we were able to get away from them by using the guest only pool,and our secluded villa during the middle of the day when they were around. We would find out what days they were coming and snorkel early and late instead We met some great families and it would be good to maybe have a bit more activities at happy hour where you could do this easily. .After visiting some others resorts on the mainland we believe Hideaway offered the best value for our family of 5, was a small and charming resort with great snorkelling and diving and a piece of paradise. Our children learnt about another culture , mixed with the locals and the kids and experienced another way of living not just a good holiday that we had at other pacific islands. we cant wait to go back and we only left yesterday!!!!! Thank you to all the fantastic friendly staff .

3  Thank harringtons5
Reviewed 18 April 2012

SIMPLY save your money and choose another resort!... better again choose another island in the Pacific! A huge disappointment, substandard property, unsanitary ( toilets blocked and overflowing, bed bugs and we heard some families got head lice), poor quality food, appalling standard of kitchen procedures and contaminated food (kitchen staff sneezing all over our food). Staff not very friendly as on other islands in the Pacific.
Snorkelling was great however there are other fantastic destinations with great snorkelling in the Pacific. Day tourists invade the island by 10 am daily so find a chair quickly and be prepared to wait 30 - 40 minutes for your ordered meals.
I am perplexed how this island could be classified as" a slice of heaven?" Bed bugs, mould and unclean accom and contaminated food is heaven???? Prices in Cafe (would not call this a restaurant ) were overpriced especially the kids menu! Couscous chicken salad was a bowl of coriander and lettuce with some chunks of over grilled/fried chicken and NO Couscous. This was a regular occurance that the food quality and portion control was not standard.The cocktails were also watered down and quite expensive for this property. I would NEVER classify Hideaway Island as a resort as they lack a lot of key elements of a resort.
Again buyer beware this is a great place only for a day trip or for a boys week away NOT for a family with young children.
Before we left Hideaway tinges of a gastro and upon return holed up in bed for 3 days with high temps and gastro. Only drank bottled water even when making tea and coffee. Have travelled the world and even through remote areas and never got sick!
So in essence forget Hideaway... Forget Vanuatu spend your hard earned tourist dollars on another island where you feel welcome, kids feel safe there is a kids club or at least scheduled activities for children. Packages where kids stay and eat free always beneficial and take airlines that arrive earlier in the day, so you are not compelled to take evening flights from Sydney and arrive at your property in the early hours of the morning!
When travelling we appreciate that cultures are different however basic sanitary conditions are a simple requirement of a holiday especially with children. Owners of the property are simply quite happy to take the tourist dollars however fail to maintain this property that has so much potential.
Would not promote HIdeaway simply a huge disappointment and a waste of money.

Room Tip: Newly renovated bungalow from bungalow 6 upwards otherwise don't bother
1  Thank SydneyMimi
Reviewed 16 April 2012

We stayed for one week in April with 2 kids aged 6yo and 8yo.

What's great:
I'll start with the biggest positive - the snorkeling is just amazing. The reef is easily accessed from the beach, however if you swim further out (past the second pontoon - even as far as the round white buoy) you are rewarded with amazing coral and an incredible variety of fish species.
The staff were polite and friendly in a quiet, reserved way - something I really like about Vanuatu (not touristed up and having to greet you every time you look their way).

What's average:
The accommodation, food and general vibe is just average.

The rooms are basic and fine - reasonable size for 4 people sharing and nice views. No curtains on the windows in the main room meant that the kids woke up at the crack of dawn. We had problems with mozzies, and the staff were responsive by putting up mosquito nets over the kids beds (but we had a fan so couldn't...and had continuing mozzies even with burning coils). This is an issue as Dengue fever and malaria are both present in Vanuatu (even if your chances of getting these is slim it adds a stress).

The food at the restaurant is normally quite good (although breakfast is below average - with very scant supplies, things not being replaced, poor setup). Otherwise it is fine.

The general feel or vibe of Hideaway is somewhat soul-less. I am not comparing this to big hotels but rather to the range of smaller, more basic places we have stayed in the Pacific Islands. There isn't any person or people who are obviously in charge or coordinating anything and you don't really connect with anyone (neither staff nor other guests...it just isn't set up this way). This may have been different if we had been diving....not sure.

What's not so good:
The day-trippers on a cruise ship day. There are loads of cruise ships that anchor in Port Vila and when you get a big day of day trippers it is crowded at lunchtime and the beach is pretty busy (and you have idiots who stand on the reef no matter what anyone says - this happened quite a bit). It isn't the busyness that was the problem so much as this element kind of takes away from the feel of being in an isolated part of the world on an island....with lots of different groups of people every day.

Management need to take more responsibility to protect the inner reef from snorkelers. To educate guests (day guests as well as staying) about protecting the coral reef and enforce the practices. I saw so many people touching, standing, holding...coral. This is an amazing reef and the protection of it needs to come from a higher level (not just assuming that everyone knows no to touch coral even if it looks dead).

3  Thank LC700_12
Reviewed 6 April 2012

Hideaway offers very good snorkeling right off the beach. I counted about 25 species of butterfly fish in my very first first swim. There is also a spectacular 9 square meter anemone bed with about 40 clown fish ("Nemo") (3 or 4 species of both anemone and fish). Lots of bright health coral sufficiently shallow at low tides to really observe well while snorkeling. Because they were booked up half way through my 10 day Vanuatu stay I moved to a Pt. Vila motel but drove back every day to Hideaway because the snorkeling and general ambiance was so delightful and the best I experienced off the beach around Efate. At breakfast one day a humpbacked whale was spotted from the dining room! A rarity it seems. The resort is staffed by Mele people since the Hideaway Island is part of that village's territory. Very interesting contemporary traditional Melanesian culture such as Kava bars and local food and shops and village life is just a short ferry and walk away. My spacious simply-furnished well screened bright ocean-front fan-cooled bungalow was very comfortable for me but it might be too hot in some seasons without air-con. The food was excellent, beautifully cooked and presented. Coconut fish curry, tasty, tender Vanuatu beef steak grilled rare as I like it, fired shrimp, chicken satay were all yummy and the best meals I had while on Efate. The staff were very friendly and non-intrusive providing just the right amount of pleasant service. My fellow tourists seemed like an interesting bunch, many of them repeaters at Hideaway for the umpteenth time which says a lot about how charming and appealing and what good value the resort is. Hideaway is also where you can make friends for life. I met a fun couple from Oz on their 5th visit and had a lovely day with them on my return to Sydney on my way home to Canada.
I really recommend Hideaway for anyone looking for a pleasant small low-key resort with very good snorkeling right of the beach at reasonable prices in Efate..

Room Tip: Roomy bungalows are all oceanfront.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank Kendd
Reviewed 5 April 2012

Just home after 2 weeks at Hideaway Island Resort. Snorkelling every day on their secluded reef and seeing different fish, coral, stingrays, octopus, etc etc all the time. The accommodation is dependant on your budges, the twin share rooms are very reasonable and almost at the water's edge. The restaurant and bar prices are reasonable and the staff are as friendly as you'll find anywhere. The Mele village tour was most enlightening view of village life. Love it and going back soon, then again, and maybe again.

Room Tip: All budgets catered for,
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank RussJenn
Reviewed 4 April 2012

Perfect place for ppl who want to escape from the noise, crowds and all the stress of big city life and for ppl who are in need of island time.

I stayed there for 3 weeks and it was like a breath of fresh air for my weary soul! It wasn't like a large 5-star resort but it was very well maintained.
Most staff were local and everyone was very friendly and was always smiling:)

There were lots of events during a week(Village tour, Melanesian feast, movie night) and they also prepared lots of optional tours. I especially enjoyed the waterfalls and sunset horse riding.

During my stay I got certified as Open Water Diver! Every morning, I woke up, grabbed my breakfast and just dived into the water in front of my bungalow. The water was warm and the visibility was great! I could see lots of beautiful coral reefs and hundreds of fish in clear turquoise water. The dive staff were very friendly, funny and attentive(Thank you, Nedge, Lulu, Kevin, Nikki and Ian!). And after diving I often relaxed at "the Beach Bar" which is just 8 min by boat. Firework show there on Friday was awesome!

I really really enjoyed my stay there:)) and I'm planning to go back on my next holiday!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends