“Perfect location” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #12 of 48 Hotels in Port Vila
Paihia, New Zealand
“Perfect location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

For a keen swimmer and snorkellor like me, this is the ideal spot. To wake up in the morning and just a few paces to the beach and then off to marvel at fish and coral just metres from the beach. And good undamaged coral and protected fish in a marine reserve at that. Perfect!
Our garden bungalow was nice, with its own deck, and dinner in the restaurant was excellent.
Thanks Hideaway. I will definitely be back!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014 via mobile

We spent a long weekend snorkelling and diving and had a fantastic time. Our villa was large and had great views. The place does need a bit of maintenance these days but nothing that put us off from coming back. We are looking forward to our return later this year. The staff were great. I agree with the comments though on reef awareness and protection. This is not a high end resort but very casual and comfortable. The island hosts were great too.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank W K
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014

Just back from a week at Hideaway and I'm trying hard to find the next time I can go there!

The sea is incredibly clear and the abundance of fishes hard to compete with. Snorkeling is enough to see clown fish colonies a few meters from the shore, and I can hardly recollect how many different species of fish and nudibranch I have seen when scuba diving. I have been pretty spoiled with very few people diving at the same time as me, but it looks like some dives can get pretty crowded though. Our bungalow was really comfortable and clean. Anywhere on the island contains a breath-taking views. The curry and fresh lime juice are delicious and food is generally yummy with great portions.

What makes Hideaway Island really unique is the local staff. From the dive team, the restaurant staff and the cleaning ladies, I can’t remember seeing that many smiles anywhere. We felt really welcomed and everyone knew our names after a day. I also found the manager Mark very professional and haven’t experienced any problem. Mel, the dive girl was pretty rude though, but I expect she’ll soon be contaminated by the local welcoming approach!

A bit of a disappointment: they feed the fish. It surely guarantees great numbers of fishes to be seen on the glass-bottom trip, but it is ecologically unsound.

Altogether, I can’t wait to go back and see again beautiful people such as Rachel, Mamma, Anna, Luisa, Amy, Antoine and of course Robbie!

I also recommend Island Holiday tours for a day tour in Efate for an extensive cultural discovery of the island (unfortunately they’re not registered online, but you’ll easily find the shop in Port Vila, 5 min South of the market). Peter knows everything possible about the island, from the number of people living in each village to the coconut industry!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Julie C
Auckland, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2014

what a lovely island.we took the ferry over to hideway island which is free.you pay an entrance fee and also have to pay extra for snorkeling gear which was not made clear to us at entrance.
the young lady at the arrival point was not very friendly...but saying that.... some of the tourist are very demanding too!! the older guy at the snorkeling counter made up for it.so polite and so helpful....thank you!!
the water was divine and the snorkeling very good.you can also do the glass bottom boat trip and the underwater post office .we spent a lovely afternoon here and the restaurant was good and the staff very friendly.it is time well spent.it is a must do on your trip!!.thanks for sharing your lovely island hideway with us.

Room Tip: an ideal half day trip. amazing snorkeling and swimming spot.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014

Well there's a lot of reviews about Hideaway on this site...and there all true to some extent. The good the bad and the ugly. But we don't care "we cant wait to go back"

Why? because of the staff (and I'm not talking about the managers, not much too say about them really, we didn't see them for the first four days of our holiday, hard to believe when you're on an island that only takes five minutes to walk around or as Antoine one of the dive masters said " you won't have enough time to finish a beer if you take one with you when you walk around"

All the staff were great Rosella, Alice, Joe, Bryan all the reception staff, all the guys in the dive shop Robi, Antoine, Neidge, Brian I really can't say how special these people made our holiday (Sorry I haven't thanked everyone individually) every one was always happy, always looking out for our children and us. The owners of Hideaway are very lucky to have such wonderful staff.

snorkelling was pretty damn good, lots of fish, lots of coral. Had to laugh someone said you needed to be an Olympic swimmer to make it to the underwater post office in one of the old posts I read on this site, explains why Australia didn't do to well in the last Olympics, maybe my seven year old son should be swimming for the Green & Gold.

Food was OK if a bit on the pricy side, we travelled across to the Beach Bar on the mainland most nights for tea which was a bit more reasonable and again I have to say the staff in this establishment were just super

The accommodation was clean if a little tired, definitely needs some TLC, however it did the job. The rooms were cleaned every day, we had no rats and no mould in our Bungalow. So no complaints

As I've said "we cant wait to go back" I would recommend this place for families. Hideaway Island should be a 5/5 but the managers and the TLC that the resort needs (this is not taking anything away from the maintenance staff who were hard at it the whole time we were there looking after the gardens and washing stairs, walls etc.) let it down

Thanks to all the staff at Hideaway for making our holiday so very Special

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank travellingSprings
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2014

My partner and I stayed at Hideaway Island Resort in June of 2013 for 5 nights. We had an amazing time there and really loved the snorkeling, which is the best I've experienced to date. However if you are looking for a 5 star, secluded experience with perfect sandy beaches, this is not the place for you.

For starters the beach is a coral beach so you'll need footwear or tough feet to handle that. I have noticed that this place is now listed as being for adults only. I am not sure if this was the case back in June, however the point is moot because there is a huge influx of day-trippers every single day, most of which is loud families with little to no respect for the coral. On several occasions we saw adults and children alike standing on top of the coral. Lunch service often took a while because there were so many people visiting each day.

Once all of the annoying children and day trippers left for the day, it was a much nicer atmosphere. They did movie nights and bonfire nights and other such things if people chose to get involved.

The room quality and service is probably equivalent to 2.5-3 star. For us we didn't mind how the room looked, as long as the water service worked properly and the bed was comfortable. The cleaning staff were very good and left us a very sweet handwritten note on our last day, thanking us for staying.

The food and beverage service could have been better, however it wasn't terrible either. The food was nothing to write home about, but it was still perfectly fine. Whatever you do though, avoid the wine. We had some on our last night and it tasted awful. Stick to the beer/cocktails or BYO drinks.

Overall, we really enjoyed our stay as our main objectives were relaxation and snorkeling, which we certainly did plenty of. I recommend going sooner rather than later to snorkel as the high influx of day-trippers is absolutely ruining the coral. Some locals told us that the snorkeling was even more amazing 12 months prior to us arriving. I can imagine it is only going to get worse as long as there are morons standing on the coral and carelessly coming into contact with it.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Hervey Bay, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2014

Just got home from wonderful Hideaway and we didn't want to leave. Mark and Sue are fabulous and made us feel very much at home. All the staff are friendly and bend over backwards to make your stay memorable and we made some great friends.We will definately be back. Thanks for a great time.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple