“Romantic & family friendly getaway” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hideaway Island Resort

Hideaway Island Resort
Ranked #12 of 48 Hotels in Port Vila
Melbourne, Australia
“Romantic & family friendly getaway”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

Wow this is is just wow. Secluded & quiet in your private hut and if you choose to head down the windy paths to the main area there is plenty to do. You dine on amazing food while your feet run through the sand. Take a glass bottom boat ride around the island. Go snorkelling (all equipment provided) the possibilities are endless............

Room Tip: All rooms look out onto the ocean just beautiful
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

This is my third visit to Hideaway in twelve months - haven't written on Tripadvisor before because I wanted to keep it my special secret. But have decided that's selfish and Hideaway's magic should be shared with everyone.

The first thing I love is being able to step into the water and be immediately surrounded by coloured fish swimming around your feet. I recommend bringing your own mask and snorkels. Flippers are easily hired. But I find I only need the reef shoes as I like to swim,

I think my next favourite thing is the staff. They are just so welcoming and treat everyone as their favourite guest. I know it helps that this is my third visit. But they were like this on my first visit which is why I have come back so often.

I travel by myself but loneliness is not a problem. Because the resort is so small you meet everyone. I'm pretty social so i end up chatting to everyone. But if you are not as social, people don't intrude.

The accommodation is great. It might not be 5 star, but the views and cleanliness can't be beaten.

I normally stay in the bungalows. The resort was booked out this time and I ended up staying in the backpacker ... and LOVING it. I am a 5 star girl so this is a huge recommendation for those travelling solo.

And lastly, the food is wonderful. I used to travel to Fiji, but Vanuatu is my new favourite because the food is fabulous and, of course, I found Hideaway. There is huge variety of vegetables and the beef is local. Hideaway has the best fillet steak I have ever eaten. I normally have it at least every second night.

And the free wi fi is a HUGE bonus - wifi is very expensive in Vanuatu and Hideaway is the only island to offer free wi fi.

Hope you get to enjoy the magic of Hideaway soon

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Tania W
Ashburton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

This was one of the most magical trips we've had so fun. Beautiful people, weather and the best snorkelling we've had so far. Thank you mamma Alice, Rosa and the rest of the Hideaway team for your great customer service

Room Tip: A Definite Must
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank Tina C
Canberra, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

My family and I stayed here in July, 2014. We loved it. The snorkelling is fantastic, the room was large and had a lovely view. The glass bottom boat trip and snorkel safari, offered free of charge, was great. We also really enjoyed the Melenesian Feast night with live music. The restaurant was decent, nothing special, but the food was good. The cocktails were excellent. We loved walking over to the main land at low tide and getting bargains from the local markets there. The staff are all friendly and helpful. Only down side is the day trippers who over crowd the island on cruise ship days--best to get off the island when you know there is a cruise ship coming.

Room Tip: Bungalow 1A has great views and is close to everything.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank CarolynM70
Currumbin, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

With a variety of room choices available we chose the simple bungalow on the beach with separate, shared, toilet and shower facilities because the price was so attractive and we stepped straight out of our room and into the tepid waters of an amazing coral bay. The views from our shared 'old Queenslander' style wooden verandah were magic and we were close to the pool, beachside restaurant and ferry boat, but still felt that we had plenty of privacy. The small, safe ferry boat runs continually across the short distance to the main island and a $3 bus fare will take you to most places you would need to go. Food quality and prices on the island were very reasonable and offered a good selection of menu choices. Rooms were clean and contained a queen size bed, sink and fridge. If you're into peaceful, laid back breaks and don't mind compromising on luxury accommmodation, you cant go past this little island paradise. We absolutely loved our stay and often escape back to the memories of friendly locals, sweet tropical fruits and snorkelling for hours amongst gorgeous corals and a wide variety of exotically coloured marine life.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank vickie b
Broadbeach Waters
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

First let me get out out that could easily be a 5 star standout and is worthy of spending the day there at the very least, we stayed two nights mostly because of the location, the snorkeling and diving close to the island. The only reason I gave it four stars was the noise the diesel generator makes can be heard from some of the bungalows and the lack of working internet so if your not a light sleeper and not fussed about being connected to the internet then this resort is an absolute delight. Safe snorkeling right of the beach, great dive locations within minutes, walking distance to the Mele Cascade waterfalls which is also a must do activity. A short and free ferry ride from the mainland with plenty of buses to get around Efate and great for children.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Cleanliness
2 Thank Nigel P
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

We stayed in the Villa overlooking the beautiful Mele Bay. The villa had everything you could possibly wish for. The staff were incredible and always eager to make our stay as memorable as possible. The scuba diving and snorkelling is by far the best I have done. The dive team was fantastic!! We did a scuba diving course whilst we were there. The professionalism of our dive instructor Neidge was amazing, far exceeding the quality of dive instruction we have previously had in Australia.The whole area is in a marine sanctuary and so the coral, fish and every other marine creature is in abundance. You can snorkel just in front of the resort and see clown fish everywhere. The restaurant and bar offered great food that my whole family enjoyed. While your there, take a bus and visit the zipline, off road racing and jet skiing- you won't be disappointed! The only negative about Hideaway Island was that we had to come home!! We are already planning our return.

Room Tip: Splurge and get one of the villa's, they are well worth it!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family