“Just a slice of paradise”

Hideaway Island Resort
Ranked #12 of 47 Hotels in Port Vila
Melbourne, Australia
“Just a slice of paradise”
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Loved the experience from start to finish. Its a private island, which is just a quick boat ride to the mainland. What I loved the most was the snorkelling - WOW - an amazing array of fish in this Marine Sanctuary, the genuine friendly staff and tasty food at a restaurant with sandy beach floor. Favourite time was late afternoon sipping cocktails looking at the crystal clear water, green lush mountains while watching the glorious sunset. The weather was perfect in July, remember to take something with a sleeve for the occasional evening cool breeze.
Its a gem.

Room Tip: All accommodation is great particularly the Bungalow's. You can see the coral reef from every ro...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Helen S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Ashburton New Zealand
Reviewed 3 August 2014

We stayed for 7 nights at this lovely little island just off the mainland and just loved the friendly staff, beautiful snorkelling which is right at your door step and great food. Our bungalow was number 12 which looked straight out over the reef, there was a lounge suite not that we stayed inside, a table and chairs, fridge, queen bed and two singles but a full size bathroom and the staff did a great job keeping everything very clean. The veranda has a hammock, and table and chairs on it and then there were also two sun loungers just in front of your unit. The island nights were great fun and so was the fire dancing that is held just over on the mainland at the Beach Bar which also has great internet access if you need it. The buses /vans to town were only 300 vatu which is approx $3.00 and they were always waiting once you got off the jetty. We will definitely be planning another holiday to this lovely little bit of paradise.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank HillBill2
Tauranga
Reviewed 2 August 2014

We took our extended family to Hideaway in July 2014 and stayed in beach side bungalows. The best part of the stay was the swimming and snorkelling at your doorstep, absolutely outstanding. The bungalows were fine, yes there some shortcomings like power going off unexpectedly but promptly fixed, poor shower head etc but beds were comfortable and the service really friendly and helpful. Food was good, middle of the road quality and price wise. We enjoyed the lack of cars and roaming dogs, the security and quiet. Would we return? Yes we would.

Room Tip: Bungalows facing west the best
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Wow this is is just wow. Secluded & quiet in your private hut and if you choose to head down the windy paths to the main area there is plenty to do. You dine on amazing food while your feet run through the sand. Take a glass bottom boat ride around the island. Go snorkelling (all equipment provided) the possibilities are endless............

Room Tip: All rooms look out onto the ocean just beautiful
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed 29 July 2014

This is my third visit to Hideaway in twelve months - haven't written on Tripadvisor before because I wanted to keep it my special secret. But have decided that's selfish and Hideaway's magic should be shared with everyone.

The first thing I love is being able to step into the water and be immediately surrounded by coloured fish swimming around your feet. I recommend bringing your own mask and snorkels. Flippers are easily hired. But I find I only need the reef shoes as I like to swim,

I think my next favourite thing is the staff. They are just so welcoming and treat everyone as their favourite guest. I know it helps that this is my third visit. But they were like this on my first visit which is why I have come back so often.

I travel by myself but loneliness is not a problem. Because the resort is so small you meet everyone. I'm pretty social so i end up chatting to everyone. But if you are not as social, people don't intrude.

The accommodation is great. It might not be 5 star, but the views and cleanliness can't be beaten.

I normally stay in the bungalows. The resort was booked out this time and I ended up staying in the backpacker ... and LOVING it. I am a 5 star girl so this is a huge recommendation for those travelling solo.

And lastly, the food is wonderful. I used to travel to Fiji, but Vanuatu is my new favourite because the food is fabulous and, of course, I found Hideaway. There is huge variety of vegetables and the beef is local. Hideaway has the best fillet steak I have ever eaten. I normally have it at least every second night.

And the free wi fi is a HUGE bonus - wifi is very expensive in Vanuatu and Hideaway is the only island to offer free wi fi.

Hope you get to enjoy the magic of Hideaway soon

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Tania W
Ashburton
Reviewed 28 July 2014

This was one of the most magical trips we've had so fun. Beautiful people, weather and the best snorkelling we've had so far. Thank you mamma Alice, Rosa and the rest of the Hideaway team for your great customer service

Room Tip: A Definite Must
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Tina C
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 27 July 2014

My family and I stayed here in July, 2014. We loved it. The snorkelling is fantastic, the room was large and had a lovely view. The glass bottom boat trip and snorkel safari, offered free of charge, was great. We also really enjoyed the Melenesian Feast night with live music. The restaurant was decent, nothing special, but the food was good. The cocktails were excellent. We loved walking over to the main land at low tide and getting bargains from the local markets there. The staff are all friendly and helpful. Only down side is the day trippers who over crowd the island on cruise ship days--best to get off the island when you know there is a cruise ship coming.

Room Tip: Bungalow 1A has great views and is close to everything.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family