“expensive for the quality”

The Melanesian Port Vila
Ranked #26 of 47 Hotels in Port Vila
Reviewed 17 August 2009

Nice "modern" hotel, a bit far away from the center. Bad surprise for the breakfast: many groups of tourists!!! Not very "boutique hotel".

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank ericbparis
There are newer reviews for The Melanesian Port Vila

Reviewed 18 July 2009

stayed for 10 days, returned last sunday. only complaint is the school group of kids jumping in the pool early in the morning but that didnt bother us much.
staff were extremely friendly and the room was clean and nice. very close to town, about a 5 min or so walk, and the restaurants were great. we were a bit hestitant at first after reading soem mediocre reviews but were definitely pleasantly surprised by the hotel. recommend the cultural night, very entertaining, and good way to try kava etc. \
stayed in an orchid room which had air conditioning, recommended if you are soft like me and cant cope with humidity at night well! good size, and had an extra bed for extra person if needed. had a great time and would recommend to anyone

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank kirstimmm
Reviewed 14 July 2009

Have just spent a week in a Hibiscus room, it was very comfortable much to our surprise after reading some of the reviews. Bed made, towels replaced, room cleaned every day. The so called noisy carpark has been moved, the only complaint would be the locals leaving the Casino at 3 am. We found it to be a great location to all attractions. The pool was first class and their continental breakfast excellent. The staff were friendly and could not do enough to help us.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank NomadAustralia
Reviewed 19 June 2009

stayed one night while waiting for a connecting flight. Staff were friendly and helpful so I couldn't fault them but the place seemed a bit run down and I'm not sure it was worth the $140 Australian I paid.

The hotel is a 5-10 minute walk from the market and town. Turn left as you exit the hotel and you'll come to a largeish super market called Au Bon Marche after about 5 min utes walk.

Opposite the hotel I found a very good restaurant called the rendevous with views over
the water. Would happily eat there again.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank inflight_meal
Reviewed 11 April 2009

I went to Port Vila in January 2009 for business. I stayed in a poolside room at the Melanesian for 5 nights. This was my first visit to Vanuatu and from the start I felt very welcomed. I was served a mocktail while they found a staff member to take my bags to my room, and invited to sit in the comfortable waiting area. My room was just adjacent to the pool and the bar, and it was a great start to the morning to jump in the pool before I went to work. There was a Melanesian feast on Sunday night, which was a really nice taste of Vanuatu culture. The staff were all so friendly, and greeted me when they saw me out around town.

The location was great - lots of buses and taxis come past, and it was a quick walk into town. There were lots of excellent restaurants in walking distance, although look out for the potholes if you are walking down after dark!

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank tardigrades
Reviewed 6 April 2009

The people are friendly there yes... but the hotel is in need of a total revamp! The first room we were shown to was very average with the fridge not working and dirty sheets so we moved to an Orchid Room within 10 minutes... Everything seemed damp and all the tables at the eating areas were spoiled by dirty tablecloths and seats. The pool was nice and food was fine but overall if I stayed in Vanuatu again I would go to the Moorings and it's cheaper and newer.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Hidey_9
Reviewed 9 March 2009

We stayed at the Melanesian for 5 nights in Feb 09. After reading the reviews I was a little worried and tried not to have too high expectations of the hotel......Well... I need not have worried one little bit. We had the best EVER stay at the Melanesian,,, Our room, 105, was SPOTLESS....... we were in an Orchid room on the ground floor right outside the pool. The hotel was not full and we basically had the pool to ourselves most days and other days 2 or 3 families joined us which was great. Our 12 year old had a ball. The room was plenty big enough for the 3 of us. If I had to have one complaint, and I dont, but if i did,,, the ceiling in the bathroom could have done with a lick of paint. Other than that, spotless... serviced every day,,, cleaned perfectly, lovely ladies who worked around us. Breakfast, in my opinion was great,, We were told it was only a continential breaky and they served fruit, cereal, toast, eggs, pancakes,, juices, tea and coffee, croisants. Plenty each morning and fresth. Check in and out was great with no hassles. We ate at the Thai Restuarant and thouroughly enjoyed it, We also had the eat all you can bbq buffet and thoroughly enjoyed that as well. The walk into town was easy and no problems. We walked everywhere. Staff were great, Hotel is a 3 star and yes, does reflect that, but definately a very nice 3 star in my books. My only advice is to defeniatley stay in an Orchid room. They are air conditioned and are around the pool.. The Hibiscus rooms are out in the car park and overlook the house next door and I would have been very dissapointed to have stayed in one of those rooms. Our room was perfect, with 5 steps out the door to the pool and 10 steps out the door to breakfast,,, The best thing I liked also about breakfast is it DOESNT work on a voucher system so in other words you can have 1st breakfast, then 2nd breakfast etc etc (lol) meaning if you want to go back and grab another peice of fruit of a glass of juice an hour after you have had your breakfast then you can.....loved it, would defeniately stay again..... Oh nearly forgot, take your lap top as the orchid rooms have FREE wireless.....great for the 12 year old son who kept in touch with school friends over msn. plus we could keep in contact with 18 year old son at home,,,, ( no the house didnt burn down, thank godness) Couldnt beleive the wireless was free,,,,, fantastic....

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with family