“Plunge pool was green”

Ranked #14 of 47 Hotels in Port Vila
Melbourne, Australia
“Plunge pool was green”
Reviewed 4 June 2014

I booked a lagoon view pool bungalow with the express purpose of being able to use the private plunge pool when we felt like it. When we arrived I went to use the pool and it was green, tiles were peeling off the sides of the pool and some had fallen in the pool. Needless to say it wasn't at all inviting.

The next day I mentioned this to Management he said the filter mustn't be working and he'd get someone to look at it. Don't they check these things before guests arrive or do they just wait for people to raise it as an issue??? We came back to the room after a long day and the filter was on, the pool was super cloudy with chemicals and the tiles had been thrown up on the edge of the pool. No swimming for us again, no offer of an apology or to move us.

For the whole time we stayed we couldn't use the pool we had specifically booked and paid extra for. Totally unacceptable, we should have booked a cheaper room and just used the main pool but we weren't to know.

Overall the room was tired and not as it is written up on the website.

Also we paid 3,000 vatu about A$36 for use of the wi-fi ( most places it's standard as part of the room these days) being told we would be able to connect if we sat inside the front of the bungalow. Well we couldn't. I had to leave the bungalow and stand on the path outside to get any sort of weak connection or go and sit the lobby area, not what you want to do to read the paper on line or down load email. We felt totally gouged by this charge.

When I checked out no one asked how my stay was or if there were any problems. I was left with the feeling that we were just passing through and it didn't matter whether our experience had been good or bad.

Not at all good enough for a place that says "it will make your tropical dreams come true". Couldn't be further from the truth in our experience.

9 Thank Melp71

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Reviewed 31 May 2014

After a week of staying at another resort in a shared accommodation for a wedding,my partner and I decided to spend our last night in port Vila at mangoes and have a bit of 'us' time to end our trip. From arrival I was instantly impressed by the great and welcoming service and charmed by spike the resorts resident feline who was peacefully napping in the sun. The resorts grounds are intimidate with a beautifully maintained tropical garden and we loved our villa, which to my pleasure overlooked one of the pools. My partner was feeling unwell in the afternoon do I took the opportunity to relax by the pool with a piña coulda and I could even see the scenery if the hills above the lagoon from my sun chair. The pool was delightful and I loved relaxing there as it was so quiet. A few couples came and went around me but I loved how secluded it felt even though it's on the edge of town. We enjoyed both dinner and lunch at the restaurant and boy oh boy the food was amazing! My lychee cooler cocktail was the most refreshing cocktail I have tried in Vanuatu and I recommend any guests to give it a try! (I might be slightly biased by my obsession with lychees :) overall I was very impressed by the modern look and we'll kept appearance and the staff were very professional. I wish we had of stayed a little longer as the location would have been a good base point,oh well a good excuse to come back! Great value for money, the only improvement needed I could see was better lighting in our villas (room 4) bathroom which was a bit gloomy. Will definitely be back someday!

• Stayed May 2014
Tamborine Mountain, Australia
Reviewed 29 May 2014

We recently stayed for 7 nights and had a really delightful, relaxing time. Ros and her team of merry helpers were all charming and helpful. The breakfasts and coffee were great. It's a good distance from town - far enough to be quiet and peaceful, but everything is easily accessible. The bures aren't modern in style or furnishings, but quite spacious and comfortable. Only sorry we weren't told there were movies available via streaming as TV reception is dreadful, and we were both needing a fair bit of down time. All in all though we have lovely memories and would be happy to recommend Mangoes to others.

Room Tip: Choose one of the Lagoon View rooms. The views are really lovely and worth the extra.
Whakatane, New Zealand
Reviewed 22 May 2014

We spent 7 nights here in late April, it was fantastic, the team at Mangoes were really lovely and helpful, we had bungalow with a plunge pool, which was great , late at night just jump in the pool and not have to worry, it was a really good size not to small and a good depth as well.
The in room massage was one of the best I've had, so relaxing and the oil she used was beautiful,the restaurant at Mangoes would have to have the best value seafood platter in all of Vila, giving you the choice of either the coconut crab or the lobster we choose the lobster which was amazing, it was cooked to perfection and had a creamy garlic sauce on it,that garlic sauce was amazing, another night we ordered room service as we'd been out all day and were to tired to go to the restaurant, the room service turned up really quickly and presented beautifully. While we were there we did a fishing charter and caught yellowfin and Wahoo, the restaurant /Chef cooked the fish for us , I would recommend Mangoes to anyone who wants to enjoy a child free atmosphere, and anyone who wants to relax but still be close enough to the town city, Well done Mangoes , we will be back :)

Room Tip: Definitely get a room with a private plunge pool
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Tleesnz
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 16 May 2014

From start to finish this beautiful little adults only resort was a dream to stay at, we stayed 3 nights and loved every minute, from the cute little bure's, the tasty meals and the wonderful friendly staff who look after you, I would definitely recommend this resort

Wellington, Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 8 May 2014

We had a room with a pool and a lovely view over the lagoon. The room was great, as was the pool. But we had issues constantly with the hot water, when we notified them they sorted it out really promptly. But still no hot water in the hand basin. Linen was clean as was the room. Short walk into Port Vila. Food was only okay, and not a lot of other options nearby other than walking into town again! Lovely, well maintained gardens.

3 Thank Sija S
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Our locked villa was broken into when we went to breakfast and cash, wedding band, iPhone, and other valuables stolen.
We had already emailed our travel agent prior to the burglary on the poor food and awful service we received and as seasoned travelers it was our worst holiday yet. The taxi driver ripped us off charging $80 for a short trip. The receptionist was rude and treated us like we were an inconvenience. Our food was very disappointing especially the seafood which was surprising because we read good reviews but we found inedible, but we also had issues with the orders being incorrect with missing items and repeatedly had room service mistakes. Cutlery was not provided and also not replenished and we also had to ask for tea/coffee/ milk etc to be replenished considering we had a 7 day stay planned.
We cut our stay short and took the first flight home after the burglary and it was absolutely our worst holiday ever.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple