“not the peace and quiet we hoped for”
Review of Mangoes Resort

Mangoes Resort
Ranked #17 of 47 Hotels in Port Vila
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Travelling with my daughter we booked 6 days at Mangoes in a lagoon view pool bungalow in this adult only resort. The bungalow was good, it has a view of the lagoon and it had a plunge pool, it was clean, had twin beds as requested and a good sized bathroom.
Unfortunately, there was a lot of maintenance work going on around the property and particularly roof work of the two bungalows either side of us. We were woken up with the noise of them setting up each weekday morning and the power tools started at 8.30am. I complained as the dust was blowing onto us and the work did stop for two hours but started up again on the other side.
The gardeners also spent a lot of time outside our bungalow - they cut the hedge on the first day, they cleared up the clippings on the second day, they cut the grass on the third day… we went to the beach on the fourth day. Each activity taking hours to achieve and more than one person hanging around all the time. We had no privacy at all. We wanted to lie in the sun, plunge in our pool but we always had an audience. They were friendly enough, but walked down the side of the bungalow right next to the windows, across the deck (even when we were on the sun beds on the deck) and hung around on the lawn. We couldn't decide if they were just inefficient, hiding or being a bit creepy.
The food was OK (bread was awful). A light breakfast was included and consisted of fruit or croissants, juice and tea/coffee. The rest of the menu was passable but nothing exciting. I liked that there was no extra charge for room service and this arrived promptly. The staff aren't aware of the offers made by the hotel though. When we ordered two items for lunch (to have by our pool) they should have had free beers with them, but the staff were unaware of the offer, so no beer.
There is a bar but its located within the restaurant and is very brightly lit, so doesn't feel like the sort of place you'd want to hang out. The cocktails were reasonably priced but so inconsistent. I had an Island Tempter three times and each time it was like a different drink. The first time it was amazing, looked great and tasted better. The next one, ordered just after I'd finished the first, still looked good but was a different colour and tasted much sweeter. On our last evening I ordered it again and this one was just mango juice and vodka in a boring glass with a straw. Some bar training and consistency would be good - when things get better, its also much nicer than when they get worse towards the end of your holiday!
Little things could make this average hotel into something special.
A porter to deliver and collect the bags would have been nice, particularly as the paths are uneven and on a gradient with strip drains to get the wheels of the suitcase stuck in.
Good quality bathroom products and towels that were white rather than grey would have been appreciated too (the shampoo was impossible to get out of the tiny hole of the rigid plastic bottle and there was no shower gel only tiny cakes of soap). I would also have liked a safe in our room rather than just a lockable wardrobe (which was OK but a safe would have been better). The ceiling fans were really efficient and kept the room at just the right temperature, so I'm not sure why air con units had been fitted. Having had to ask for the air con remote and pay extra for its use just seems mean!
Dressing gowns would also have been nice for those bungalows with pools. I did pay an extra $120AUS per day for the privilege of a pool that was in the shade after 1pm, so a dressing gown might have softened the blow.
One of the things that drew us to Mangoes was its 'child free' nature. However, they are allowed in the restaurant - which means it isn't child free at all. I don't hate kids but if I choose to stay someone that advertises itself as child free that should mean all of it - not just that they can't stay in the bungalows. If I were to choose, I'd rather they did stay in the bungalows and not be allowed in the restaurant anyway - if they're going to be horrible, it tends to be at mealtimes! I think it shows the policy to be one of convenience in the bungalows rather than one for the convenience of the paying guests. They don't have to offer cots or make the pool areas safe but they will take the parents money for dinner.
There was quite a lot of noise from the Holiday Inns feast night - so it is advisable to do something on those nights.
Its close enough to walk into Port Vila but the road outside Mangoes is very steep. Once you've walked up it though, the rest of the walk is pretty easy.
So, not quite the relaxing quiet holiday we'd planned. If you value your privacy, then this isn't the place for you. A few tweaks though and it could be amazing!

Room Tip: The plunge pools aren't really worth the extra money as most of them are in the shade by luncht...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank joyful_holidayer

Reviewed 22 June 2014

We recently had a 7 night stay at Mangoes one of the best resorts that we have stayed in.
The unit no 5 was excellent very spacious and clean with a great out look and just 5 meters from the pool
Our light breakfasts were large and all the meals were at least as good as any in Villa
The staff were friendly ,very helpful and happy

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 June 2014

We had booked this directly with Mangoes. The first night we couldn't leave the ceiling fan as it was so loud. We had a room change the next morning as the hot water in the bathroom sink didn't work. The resort its self is not far from Port Villa and we walked in most days and bused home. About $3.00 AUD. We had a pool villa, but only used it twice as the sun doesn't hit it after about 1000 in the morning. Shame really. We used the resort pool a few times which was warmer. The rooms are large and airy, but the girls cleaning them are a bit hit and miss. We had a dead cock roach in the bathroom for the week, which seem to get pushed back each day. The restaurant has some pretty nice meals, not cheap, but nothing is in Vila. I feel we payed too much for the week, but we all learn. Great dinning room staff.

2  Thank Popeyetheman
Reviewed 16 June 2014

The Mangoes Resort and adjoining Terrace apartments were outstanding on our recent visit to Vanuatu. The accommodation was spacious, clean and serviced daily.We stayed seven nights at the resort and would not hesitate to return (would have loved to have stayed fourteen nights!). The private plunge pool was sparkling clean and an absolute delight to have. In fact the plunge pool was so good and convenient we never ventured to the main swimming pools.

Mangoes restaurant served excellent food, the menu covered a variety of tastes and was very reasonably priced. We had breakfasts every day there and had dinner at the restaurant six of the seven nights. There was no need to look else where!

The staff at Mangoes were freindly and the on site management team were there to make the stay a perfect holiday.

Town is only a 10min walk or a less than NZ$4 taxi ride and there is nothing much to be gained by staying closer to town than the location of Mangoes.

While we were aware internet access could be a bit patchy in Vanuatu we had great accesss to the net for the full seven days at Mangoes/The Terraces.

Unexpectedly the All Blacks v England test was a live broadcast in Vanuatu and at the accommodation at Mangoes and the Terraces as well!!

There is nothing more Mangoes Resort and the Terraces management could have done to make our holiday even better, it was perfect. A return visit will be a necessity!

D & K

Room Tip: Any room with a lagoon view but you will not be dissapointed in a garden view room either. Use the o...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank David201007
Reviewed 4 June 2014

I booked a lagoon view pool bungalow with the express purpose of being able to use the private plunge pool when we felt like it. When we arrived I went to use the pool and it was green, tiles were peeling off the sides of the pool and some had fallen in the pool. Needless to say it wasn't at all inviting.

The next day I mentioned this to Management he said the filter mustn't be working and he'd get someone to look at it. Don't they check these things before guests arrive or do they just wait for people to raise it as an issue??? We came back to the room after a long day and the filter was on, the pool was super cloudy with chemicals and the tiles had been thrown up on the edge of the pool. No swimming for us again, no offer of an apology or to move us.

For the whole time we stayed we couldn't use the pool we had specifically booked and paid extra for. Totally unacceptable, we should have booked a cheaper room and just used the main pool but we weren't to know.

Overall the room was tired and not as it is written up on the website.

Also we paid 3,000 vatu about A$36 for use of the wi-fi ( most places it's standard as part of the room these days) being told we would be able to connect if we sat inside the front of the bungalow. Well we couldn't. I had to leave the bungalow and stand on the path outside to get any sort of weak connection or go and sit the lobby area, not what you want to do to read the paper on line or down load email. We felt totally gouged by this charge.

When I checked out no one asked how my stay was or if there were any problems. I was left with the feeling that we were just passing through and it didn't matter whether our experience had been good or bad.

Not at all good enough for a place that says "it will make your tropical dreams come true". Couldn't be further from the truth in our experience.

9  Thank Melp71
Reviewed 31 May 2014

After a week of staying at another resort in a shared accommodation for a wedding,my partner and I decided to spend our last night in port Vila at mangoes and have a bit of 'us' time to end our trip. From arrival I was instantly impressed by the great and welcoming service and charmed by spike the resorts resident feline who was peacefully napping in the sun. The resorts grounds are intimidate with a beautifully maintained tropical garden and we loved our villa, which to my pleasure overlooked one of the pools. My partner was feeling unwell in the afternoon do I took the opportunity to relax by the pool with a piña coulda and I could even see the scenery if the hills above the lagoon from my sun chair. The pool was delightful and I loved relaxing there as it was so quiet. A few couples came and went around me but I loved how secluded it felt even though it's on the edge of town. We enjoyed both dinner and lunch at the restaurant and boy oh boy the food was amazing! My lychee cooler cocktail was the most refreshing cocktail I have tried in Vanuatu and I recommend any guests to give it a try! (I might be slightly biased by my obsession with lychees :) overall I was very impressed by the modern look and we'll kept appearance and the staff were very professional. I wish we had of stayed a little longer as the location would have been a good base point,oh well a good excuse to come back! Great value for money, the only improvement needed I could see was better lighting in our villas (room 4) bathroom which was a bit gloomy. Will definitely be back someday!

• Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed 29 May 2014

We recently stayed for 7 nights and had a really delightful, relaxing time. Ros and her team of merry helpers were all charming and helpful. The breakfasts and coffee were great. It's a good distance from town - far enough to be quiet and peaceful, but everything is easily accessible. The bures aren't modern in style or furnishings, but quite spacious and comfortable. Only sorry we weren't told there were movies available via streaming as TV reception is dreadful, and we were both needing a fair bit of down time. All in all though we have lovely memories and would be happy to recommend Mangoes to others.

Room Tip: Choose one of the Lagoon View rooms. The views are really lovely and worth the extra.