“Nice enough but no tropical holiday destination”
Review of Vila Chaumieres

Vila Chaumieres
Ranked #30 of 47 Hotels in Port Vila
Melbourne
“Nice enough but no tropical holiday destination”
Reviewed 29 September 2013

After reading fantastic reviews only, we booked three nights at Vila Chaumieres for a stay in September. Our rooms were nice and clean, but if you're after al tropical lazy holiday, this is not the right place to stay. The small lagoon beach displayed on their website actually belongs to the neighbours (private) and not accessible by guests. There's a small but slightly grotty pool with a couple of chairs, so there isn't really a place to kick back and relax, which is what we were after. The lagoon isn't very inviting to swim in we thought.
The restaurant is very nice but expensive. Richard and his wife were very nice and friendly but we experienced other staff to be disinterested and sometimes a bit rude. Overall, the hotel is good value for money but probably better suited to those who want a base for island activities.

2 Thank Sunseekers-Melbourne

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 23 September 2013

A big thank you to richard and his team. We have a super relaxing week with them. The staff were always so freindly and courtious. The room was excellent all the things you needed. The bed was comfortable too.

The food was excellent alway. Spot on the the quality and ingredients.

Many thanks. Nic and Cheyne

Hamilton, New Zealand
Reviewed 19 September 2013

Our stay at Vila Chaumieres met all our expectations. Richard and Ursula were great hosts attentive yet not intrusive and very friendly.
The meals were first class with the fisherman's feast a must try, served in an idyllic setting.
Ask Richard for one of his Long Island Teas. We have tried them all over the Pacific and his are the best. Try one lazing by the pool.
Richard and Ursula were quick to assess what we wanted to do during our stay and their advice was always helpful.
We stayed in an upstairs room that was tastefully decorated and had great views over the lagoon.
Overall a great holiday we will always remember.

Reviewed 10 September 2013 via mobile

What a gem of a place. Nice cute little garden set bungalows, which are actually quite spacious inside. Some upstairs apartments too I believe. I stayed in one of the bungalows - room 3 - and was so impressed with the warm inviting welcome Richard gave me, fresh off the plane, with good advice on how to get there by taking a local bus from town.

I paid $150 AUD / 135,000 Vt for a night's accommodation.

Value for money in Port Vila, most definitely. I was presented with a fruit platter and lime juice in my private bar fridge on arrival, which felt welcoming and personal. I was told that a tropical breakfast was included with my night's stay, and that I could check out as late as I wanted, because that room wasn't booked the next day.

The restaurant was fabulous! I feel like I should make that a topic of a separate review, but this has to be mentioned here. Don't bother going out to eat - this is where people from lesser hotels travel to for dinner! Wonderful lagoon setting too.

Lovely gardens and everything has a high quality feel and personal touch. I absolutely loved it. I would have stayed another night or two but for Old Macdonald's Farm next door :,(

Neighbour's barking dogs and crowing roosters woke me countless times in the night, and this was quite stressful considering I was so terribly and painfully underslept already. One of the dogs sounded like it was right outside my window so felt like it was in the room with me.

For anybody who hates dogs, or worse, any sort of noise when they are sleeping, the first thing I thought, when I woke up in the morning was "I have to get out of here", which is just such a shame considering what a lovely little place it is, and it's not the owners' fault. Unfortunately you just can't pick your neighbours... Or their unfortunate pets.

I'm not sure if every room is like this, but I did overhear some other guests at the restaurant mention "dogs and roosters".

I'm very grateful to the hosts at this charming little place. They set a standard all other hotels should follow :)

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank SpineCorp
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 17 August 2013

Our stay at Vila Chaumieres was just great - we planned to relax (and did) but also had heaps of fun exploring Port Vila and surroundings using Vila Chaumieres as a base. Richard and Ursula quickly understood the types of things we liked to do and provided good advice and help. We stayed in both the garden room and lagoon room over two visits - both were lovely.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 1 August 2013

I stayed at Vila Chaumiers a few weeks back for a total of 7 nights and was not disappointed with what I had heard about/read in other reviews prior to booking my stay. There were 4 of us and we stayed in 2 bungalows at the resort. The place only has 5 rooms for 10 people I think, but this did not effect our stay at all.

It was a small resort, but this made things much better in terms of the atmosphere, getting to know the staff, some of the locals; all of whom we found very friendly and helpful.

The location was great as we had a 15 minute taxi from the airport for the equivalent of 5 dollars each. Getting to and from town was even less at about 10 minutes and the resort seemed to know enough people through their staff to find a ride in a matter of minutes.

Food was fantastic, fresh and I highly recommend the Fishermans Feast. Its main feature is the Coconut Crab which as far as I know only comes from Vanuatu, so definitely worth sharing for a couple as it was a huge portion for even two people.

Organising tours was easy as well. Many of our trips came from friends of the resort and this made our trip much easier to plan and we would recommend any and all of them. The bushwalk being the highlight.

All around a great place to stay. Very clean, helpful and friendly staff and if ever I head back to Vanuatu definitely a sure stop again.

Room Tip: 3 bungalows good for 3-4 people and 2 rooms with balconies overlooking the lagoon with porches for a...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Thom I
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 25 July 2013

We were enjoying our stay in Pt Vila and in the lovely garden room at Vila Chaumieres when my wife had the misfortune to slip while walking in town and to break her arm. Medical advice was to get back to Oz asap as the arm needed to be pinned. Richard and Ursula could not have been more helpful in assisting with the arrangements, and made the whole process much easier, facilitating phone calls and keeping us up to date with emails etc. When a last minute opportunity came up for an early flight back to Adelaide, Richard kindly drove us to the airport himself to ensure we caught the plane. Many thanks!

A&G