“The best and certainly most affordable hotel”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Port Vila
The Sportsmens Hotel
Ranked #39 of 47 Hotels in Port Vila
Reviewed 20 January 2014 via mobile

The Sportsmens Hotel is the best hotel I have stayed in, in all of Port Vila. On arrival, I was greeted by the owner, Bob, who was more than happy to help me in any way needed.

The rooms are excellent! I was fortunate to stay in room 19 which had its own seperate balcony. The layout and design, furniture, etc was immaculate.

The staff in the cafe were among the most fridndly people I have had the pleasure to deal with and Bob and Emily should be proud of the staff that give their business this A-grade reputation. Needless to say, the food was some of the best I had in Vila and they do not charge through the nose either.

Anyone looking to go to Vanuatu should definitely make this place the first stop on their itinerary! I highly recommend it as you will not be disappointed.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Bob N, Owner at The Sportsmens Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 January 2014

Thank you for the great review!
Yes, we pride ourselves on both staff & value for money meals at the cafe.
Our rooms always clean and in keeping with our reputation.
Would love to see you again
Always happy to help

Reviewed 5 November 2013

We didn't stay at this hotel, but did eat at the cafe, whilst chatting with the very friendly couple who own it... The food was fresh and yummy. I enjoyed green curried chicken, but I think the tender beef steak that hubby had was even better (I had to sneak some of it!).

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MelanieReid
Bob N, Owner at The Sportsmens Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2013

thanks you for your review - maybe next time you can stay with us - a bit longer.
Vanuatu steak is amongst the best in the world, so I am glad you 'snuck a piece' ..
was lovely to meet you both and I hope you enjoyed the rest of your stay in Vila
regards

Reviewed 21 October 2013

I have just spent 5 weeks staying at the Sportsmens hotel while doing a student placement at the hospital. Bob and Emily were very helpful and friendly(they even included me in their wedding which occurred during my stay-what a privilege!). The staff are also friendly and very obliging. The rooms and bathrooms are clean. I loved having my washing done at no extra charge. The daily specials on food are great value and are well cooked.The hotel is situated on a busy road so there can be some noise at night but I got used to it. Cheap ,clean, safe accommodation close to the hospital was what I needed. My expectations were met and exceeded. Thank you.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Libby W

Thank you for the review and it was our pleasure to have you at our wedding. I am happy to hear we had everything you needed, including price & location. We are always happy to give information to help your stay become a memorable experience. Drop in when you come back
love from

Reviewed 15 October 2013

Unfortunately we stayed at the Sportsmens hotel on a night when a visiting rugby team was also there. They were as loud as possible (screaming and yelling) all night. In the end we just got up at 4.30am and hitched a ride to the airport with them all at 5. Sigh.

In terms of the facilities (double 6000VT per night):
Positives: comfy bed, very clean, great hot water and shower in room, easy to change AUD at the shop - very handy, 24 hours food on site, friendly and available staff.

Negatives: Dark! Could barely see my face in the mirror, sloping attic style roof - many head knocks, windows look out onto the corridor so passers by can see right in (curtains a bit flimsy), roof doesn't quite meet walls for ventilation but this makes the rooms very very noisy. There's just no barrier between you and the other residents outside, 10mins walk from city centre.

Room Tip: Check your room beofre you agree to stay - we were too tired after lugging all our gear up the hill...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank steggleleg
Bob N, Owner at The Sportsmens Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2013

Not very Sportsmanlike? Wow! How lucky were you being here when 2 of the top teams of the South Pacific were here waiting to play one of the biggest games of their lives. A position many locals would have envied you for. And it is a 'sportsmens' hotel.
I am sorry you didnt enjoy having the .sportsmen. around - boys will be boys after all, and in terms of behaviour, they were a group of the most well behaved boys we have had here.
However, I do appreciate you taking the time to comment.

Reviewed 12 October 2013

I spent a few days in Port Vila comparing prices and facilities in various hostels and the Sportmans won hands down. I spent almost a whole month there. This year I went back to Vila and straigt back to the Sportmans, where I found that the very kind staff still remembered me well, the prices hadn't changed (for that price you usually get a pretty old and dirty place in Vila) and even the cook came to greet me with a smile, like everybody else. The place is always super clean, the staff always at hand, food is cheap... If budget is a concern, I personally don't know of a better place to stay in Vila.

Room Tip: The rooms next to the restaurant can be noisy at night if there is a concert in the restaurant.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Roger C

It was great to see you again, and the staff are still talking about it! I am glad you found consistency, as that is very hard to achieve here sometimes. We pride ourselves on our prices and cleanliness, and are happy to see it has lived up to expectations.
see you again I'm sure
Regards
Bob

Reviewed 17 August 2013

This is our third time to Vanuatu and it was a pleasure to catch up with Bob, Emily and Reece again this year. The Sportsmens hotel has always provided us with great accommodation, good food and wonderful staff. We have found them all to be extremely helpful and generous with their time and resources, information and assistance. The ladies do a wonderful servicing our rooms, doing our washing, all of which is included in the price of the room. We are planning to go back next year to volunteer once again and we will be staying at the Sportsmens Hotel as we know that our needs will be catered for and our meals will be prepared by our good friend Louie and his assistants.

Thanks Bob, Emily and staff once again for having us and we look forward to our next visit.

Room Tip: This is a budget hotel. There is a mixture of rooms. We have been extremely happy with the rooms we...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Bob N, Owner at The Sportsmens Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2013

Thank you for your great review! we have only known you for about 2 years and yet it is like family visiting when you return each time to the Sportsmens Hotel & Emily's Cafe.
We know you love Reece as much as we do!
Please make sure you give us plenty of notice before your next visit as we are filling up quickly and our new 28 rooms will be finished in the next 6 months.
Regards & love from Bob Emily & Reece

Reviewed 21 July 2013

I was in Port Vila for 5-weeks as a student working at the local hospital and the Sportmen's hotel provided me with excellent, affordable accomodation and great hospitality for the duration of my stay. Bob and Emily were very generous, forthcoming with local knowlege & advice and the staff were always friendly & helpful. The majority of my stay was spent staying in shared facility accomodation which was clean and basic - just what I needed. The rooms were secure. While there are no kitchen facilities available for visitors staying at the Sportsmen's still ended up significantly cheaper for me as a solo traveller even once I included a meal from Emily's cafe each night (and the bonus was - I didn't have to cook at the end of a long shift!) Close to town and the hospital the Sportmen's hotel is in an ideal location for students undertaking placements at the hospital.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Bob N, Owner at The Sportsmens Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2013

Thank you for your review. It is always a pleasure to have students staying with us. We do pride ourselves on the quality of the rooms for the 'budget' price, and yes, it is a bonus for guests having Emilys cafe on site with inexpensive top quality meals not only for guests but for anyone wanting a good home cooked meal at a low price. Would love to have you back