“Value stop over hotel”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Port Vila
The Sportsmens Hotel
Ranked #35 of 47 Hotels in Port Vila
Queensland, Australia
“Value stop over hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

Possibly the best value hotel for a short stop in Port Vila. Very clean, food and drinks available 24/7. Price is perfect if you need a place for a short stop over and do not want to pay full rate at a resort.
The bar area is a bit noisy and the TV goes all night, so if you are a light sleeper it would be best to take some ear plugs with you.
There are some rooms with shared bathroom facilities and some which cost a small amount more which have their own ensuite.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the bar area and preferably with an ensuite.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank L4srpro

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014

The Sportsmens Hotel has to be the best value in Port Vila. Conveniently located up the hill from the markets and a short stroll to local supermarkets, it is a no nonsense hotel with great food available 24 hours per day. And the laundry is done for free!

My room upstairs was clean and well sized with an ensuite, loved the roomy shower. It was also quieter than downstairs. The TV in the wacky bar area is going all the time with lots of sports coverage. Dinner specials at 1,000 Vt are good value.

The staff are jovial while owner Bob can share colourful stories from Cowra, Dubbo, to Manly and of course Port Vila. He is an avid rugby league follower.

For a room with an ensuite with good food and free wifi, laundry this place is the real deal!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Singapore, Singapore
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

I stayed for 5 nights and it was a torture as there are cockroaches in the room every single day. It is not just 1 cockroach/day but a few. It was so bad that we had to request the reception to give us a can of insecticide. I even saw cockroaches in the corridor, cockroaches crawling into someone's room through the window.

I can't understand why are there so many cockroaches in this place. We did not consume or bring any food into the room. Throughout my entire trip in Vanuatu, Sportsmens hotel is the only place I saw cockroaches. I could not sleep well at all because half the time I was worried about cockroaches crawling on me while I sleep.

Also, the privacy is pretty bad as the windows are facing the corridor, hence I can see what other guests are doing in their room.

Room wise: The ceiling fan was so low that it is dangerous for one to sleep on the double bunk bed. The bunk bed was place so close to the ceiling fan that one could possibly get their head chopped if they decided to get out of bed to pee in the middle of the night.

The ceiling fan was installed beside and below the lighting meaning you get flickering light all the time as the ceiling fan is chopping the light, and that makes me feel dizzy under such lighting.

Internet wifi access wise: I couldn't get the internet initially using the code given by the reception. It was a piece of paper taken out from a jar full of different passcode to login to internet. I wonder why are there so many different passcode. But none of the passcode work. It is only until we feedback to the owner that we managed to get the real passcode for wifi access. So if you need internet access, get the passcode directly from the owner.

Food wise isn't fantastic either. I tried the rump steak and my goodness, the meat was overcooked to the point where I had difficulty cutting the meat. It was like chewing on a piece of leather. For the same price, you can get much better food in town.

Also, several times we see Bob (the owner) shouting impatiently at his staff. I was awaken by his shouting one of the mornings. He doesn't seem to treat his staff nicely.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
6 Thank woowl2014
Bob N, Owner at The Sportsmens Hotel, responded to this review, 28 June 2014
4of you stayed 5 nights & you came to me and said you saw a cockroach. As you left your door open & it came from the garden into your room. The windows have mosquito mesh on so the cockroach couldn't have come through the windows.
I don't know what you are saying about privacy as you were in rooms 15 & 16 & there is no corridor.
The ceiling fan is a long way from the bunks unless you jump up & try to hit it.
You spent hours on the wifi and the normal ones timeout so I gave you my management one.
You ate 3 meals a day for 5 days and never complained once.
I am amazed that you were unhappy & if you ever come back to Vanuatu we will look after you.
Regards Bob & Emily
St John's, Antigua
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

Staff were very friendly, helpful and efficient, rooms were impeccably clean, as were the showers and toilets down the corridor. The premises are near to "downtown", a healthy walk up the long run of steps from the main street. Be careful of the room you get, too near the bar is too noisy, away from the bar they are good. Some people might find Bob, the owner, a little on the abrasive side. He is a font of local knowledge, and has an answer to everything (have a look at his responses to many reviews).

Room Tip: Steer clear of rooms near the bar.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014

I stayed there 3 times. It is clean, the room is big. And the staff is very nice and helpful.
Good place for small budget.
There is a good and cheap restaurant just next to the hotel, so it's very convenient.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Vancouver
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2014

Did not find the management very hospitable.

Many rooms have open ceilings and are noisy; did not sleep well. Several rooms are close to the bar, as well.

Staff are nice though...Emily and all her kitchen staff.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank JimmyDDD
Bob N, Owner at The Sportsmens Hotel, responded to this review, 5 April 2014
Thank you for the belated review. It seems to me you have taken 10months to write your review. Wonder why? Port Vila has 40,000people and we can't keep everyone quiet. Most buildings in the tropics strive for good ventilation hence the open ceilings. If we didn't you would be complaining it was too hot. We employ 1 house-girl per 5 rooms therefore our rooms are always spotless. The normal ratio is 1 house-girl per 10 rooms...we have double that! I think you have reviewed the wrong hotel, hence your lapse of time and memory. As far as your management comment is concerned, my wife and I spend 15hours a day 7 days a week making our guests feel comfortable - especially our International guests, giving them an insight into where to go & what to do while here. Please let us know if ever you are visiting The Sportsmen's Hotel again, and we will do your airport transfers FREE of charge in a private limousine - & roll out the red carpet - all inclusive in our 3000vatu (approx $35) per night cost??????
Christchurch, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2014

Sportsmen hotel was clean and tidy, kind and helpful staff too. very good price! only 2000 vatu for a single room.
Emilys cafe was a good feed and price.
all in all was very pleased with my stay there.

Room Tip: i was in room 3, and couldnt hear too much music. maybe ask to be away from the music (from the bar...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank mary f
Bob N, Owner at The Sportsmens Hotel, responded to this review, 31 January 2014
We do pride ourselves on room cleanliness! and helpful staff.
Happy to hear you enjoyed the room and the food at our 24/7 cafe on site.
Regards