CoCo Beach Resort
Tradewinds Villas(Port Vila)(Great Value!)
US$59
Hotels.com
  • Pool
Chantilly's on the Bay(Port Vila)(Great Value!)
US$167
US$156
Grand Hotel And Casino(Port Vila)(Great Value!)
US$154
US$128
Hotels.com
Erakor Island Resort & Spa(Port Vila)(Great Value!)
US$185
US$181
  • Beachfront
Nasama Resort(Port Vila)(Great Value!)
US$134
US$124
US$71
US$69
  • Pool
The Melanesian Port Vila(Port Vila)(Great Value!)
US$124
US$95
Priceline
  • Pool
Mangoes Resort(Port Vila)(Great Value!)
US$186
US$179
US$298
US$283
US$79
US$60
  • Pool
All reviewsbeach frontbeachfront bungalowwater taxi to townblue oceanthe open air restaurantfishbeachfront fareair conrecharge the batteriesswim in the oceanlonger staycruise shipprivate beachwhite sandy beachtropical islandparadise covewaters edge
Reviewed 15 May 2014

We landed at the Vanuatu airport and changed our aussie dollars to Vanuatu Vatu and grabbed a taxi to the Coco Beach Resort. The taxi fares were pre-set, so we knew it was going to be 3600Vatu. The driver took us to the resort (about a half hour drive from the airport) and we went to reception to check in. They were confused at first, and said they were expecting us the day before. I confirmed that we had the reservation for the correct dates, and we were due to be there that day, and for the next 5 nights. The receptionist was helpful and friendly, and took us to our fare (beach hut), however when she showed us in she advised us that the manager would be coming to talk with us, as there was an issue with the booking. The manager arrived approximately 5 minutes later, and informed us that they were overbooked, and we would be required to leave. She was open and friendly about the situation, and advised us that the owners would put us at one of their other accommodation blocks - 'Tropicana'. At first we were disappointed, and then this moved to annoyed and frustrated at the fact that they had not given us any notice. We went back up to reception to use the phone to talk to the owners. The first owner I talked to was Martina; she tried her best to get us to accept that going to Tropicana was actually a good thing (which it REALLY wasn't), and offered us free dinners and massages while we were there. I told her that we would not accept this, as it was unacceptable in my eyes to simply overbook and send people somewhere else of a lower standard. Her main concern was that because Expedia charge a large commission, they would lose the commission. I pointed out that as I had paid for 5 nights in a luxury beach Fare, I didn't really care what her commission loss would be. I advised her we would only leave if we were offered a full refund. Martina said she would have to get one of the other owners to talk to me. A little while later Rowan called me, and after a while agreed that he would email me written confirmation of a full refund, and organise a bus to take us to Tropicana.

"Great" I thought, a good resolution that I was happy with. We then waited in reception for the bus to come to pick us up. We had originally arrived at Coco Beach at 10am, and it was now midday, and Rowan advised me that a bus would be there shortly. At 1pm, he called to say that the bus was running late. At 2pm we called him and ask again to be picked up. It wasn't until 3pm that we actually arrived at Tropicana - so we spent from 10am - 3pm just sitting and waiting, which effectively was the whole day lost in Vanuatu. While we were waiting, we were using the wifi at the resort and I found that Rowan had emailed me the day before with a slew of spelling and grammatical errors.

This, apart from him getting my name wrong and the litany of spelling/grammatical mistakes, highlighted that a wedding had booked the resort. I've never run a resort chain before, but I'm confident that if my resort was fully booked, I'd know about it. Apparently not. (More on this later). Also, the email said that there would be a transfer organised from the airport to Tropicana - this was not so as there was no one at arrivals with a sign with my name on it (I always look just for interests sake).

Please see my review of Tropicana for a continuation of this story (tripadvisor won't allow me to continue here as my experience at Tropicana is a different location) BUT STILL RELATED TO THIS REVIEW!!!

The short version is the owners lied, went back on their word, and did their absolute best to ruin our holiday.

15  Thank just4enjoyment
Reviewed 12 May 2014

So annoyed, they double booked us and gave us NO NOTICE, the least they could do is let us know before!!! The day before, an email to say they've overbooked and we'd be moved somewhere else. I highly doubt they double booked it the day before, I'm sure they knew for weeks or months before that they had overbooked the resort.

I get the impression this happens a lot, and had we known, we wouldn't have gone with them. Terrible service... and when we tried to fix the situation in our favour, since it clearly wasn't our fault, they lied to us multiple times, threatened to go back on their word, and wasted our time every single day for 5-6 days to get it sorted.

Seriously, if you book in high-season, you run a big risk of being moved to a lesser place nowhere near the beach and then having to deal with the dishonest, self-serving owners.

10  Thank just4enjoyment
just4enjoyment, General Manager at CoCo Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2014

Please accept my apologies in regards to the wrong booking and for the inconvenience and frustration this would have caused.

We tried to contact you by email a few days before your arrival, when we found out that this double booking happened. This hasn’t been a common issue, but happened twice on this occation

The whole hotel was booked for a wedding. Mistakenly our reservation team thought that you would be part of this group.

Instead we could offer you free accommodation in a sister resort, what you accepted.

You will be pleased to know that we worked on that issue and replaced the responsible onsite manager of the resort.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 26 April 2014

I have written many Trip Advisor reviews and I'm sad to say this is the worst one. We were completely ripped off! We booked a beachfront fare (the most expensive) 5 months previously and they advertised as having beautiful views with swimming, snorkeling and stand up paddle boards. I was looking forward to our Port Vila holiday. We were scammed by greedy owners who overbooked the resort and then placed us in their other resort in a second rate location on second lagoon. I should have had alarm bells ringing when 3 of my emails directly to the resort for confirmation 3 weeks out went unanswered. They waited until exactly one week before when my free cancellation period had expired to contact us and tell us we were moved. They offered compensation by way of two free dinners and two free 20 minute massages - not good enough really. It was so close to Easter and relying on getting a full refund and rebooking something in high season was proving difficult so we had to put up with the outcome. It upset me so much that they would do this especially as we booked 5 months before!

My advice if you are thinking of booking here is DON’T! If you have already booked and are reading this review make sure you get in contact directly with the resort first and get your confirmation by email. We heard during our stay that this has happened multiple times in April and May is already overbooked. Disgraceful.

8  Thank clarefromthebeach

We contacted you only a week ago, when we found out that this double booking happened. This hasn’t been a common issue, but happened twice on this occasion.

I am pleased that we could offer you alternative accommodation , what you hopefully enjoyed. We also offered you with your next trip to Vanuatu some free accommodation as further compensation.

Please again, accept my apologies, immediately after this issue happened, we took action and replaced the responsible person.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

The staff are amazing at this place- they are super friendly and helpful. We cannot thank them enough for all their help whenever we needed anything. They were always so lovely and would do anything to help. Our fan was really noisy and they changed it straight away the next day.
The gardens are immaculate, the beach is amazing and we saw lots of blue star fish on the reef right outside the hotel.
The bungalows are really lovely. We were worried about it being too hot as we picked a room with fan only but it was absolutely fine. The bathroom is pretty cool and we loved the coral on the walls and volcanic sinks.
It is a small resort and was very relaxing. We were there over Easter public holidays so had to be prepared and patient re arranging buses etc to pick us up and were disappointed by the lack of free water taxi (it either wasn't available or the day we did book- it never showed up) but it wasn't enough to ruin our day and the staff were very apologetic and offered to organise a bus / taxi for free.
The restaurant was good- but not everything on the menu is always available and it is a little pricey considering you can eat at Breakas down the road for similar prices. We were also surprised to see Coconut crab as a special as we had read that it is endangered? However it was always so lovely sitting in the restaurant and looking out over the bay- gorgeous. We had a great time at Coco Beach. The views were amazing and we loved waking up and falling asleep to the sound of the waves.

• Stayed: April 2014

Thank you for the feedback, it is great to see that you had a comfortable stay.

I have taken the shuttle boat feedback to our provider but I am pleased to announce we are in the process of bring this service in house!

I hope we can welcome you back again soon.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 23 March 2014

My now fiance Alana, and I, stayed in a beachfront bungalow for 7 days last week which was stunning. We did paddleboarding, snorkelling on the reef out front, kayaking and relaxing at Coco. Good weather, great food (waterside restaurant) and accommodation. But our highlights and and longest lasting memories will be of the staff; Vanessa, John, Toara, Graham, George on the water taxi, Martha and all the rest who I regret, their names have currently slipped my mind, were amazing. Professional, informative and accommodating, but so much more. We had conversations not small talk. Martha took us to Honeymoon Beach (which we couldn't find a few days earlier) after she had finished for the day. John and Toara helping me learn some Bislama and putting me on to Lukunaeva (a cool Vanuatu string band). Smiles and laughter everyday. Handshakes and hugs were had on our last day. We wish we could have stayed sooooo much longer. We will definitely return in the near future, without a doubt. Vanuatu, yumi, yumi, yumi!!!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bevan A

Thank you for the valuable feedback, it is very much appreciated!

It’s great to see that you enjoyed your meals in the restaurant and our staff team could make you feel so special.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Cheers,