We had a very disappointing experience at this establishment. There are much nicer places on Vanuatu at a lot less price, don’t be conned by the publicity the place gives itself.
Despite negotiating directly with the manager over a price in Australian Dollars and paying him into an account in Australia in Australian dollars I was sent a bill for a levy, a shortfall in the exchange rate on the amount I paid him and for transfers to and from the establishment, none of which was raised in the negotiation over price prior to my arrival. To add insult to injury the manager didn’t come near us during the ten days we were there to raise these matters with us, we got an email and an invoice two days after returning home!
This was our experience: -
1. The accommodation was described as a studio apartment, it was in fact a Hotel room with a fridge, microwave and a two-ring bench top cooking appliance.
2. The plumbing was pathetic; it was not possible to get a consistent flow of water in the shower. The pipes stuttered so much they would wake the dead.
3. The rooms were not provisioned properly and the crockery, cutlery and cooking utensils looked like they had been acquired from a charity shop.
4. The walk to the” city centre” is not 10 minutes but in fact more like 20 minutes, the return journey up hill for the last quarter.
5. Relax on our private white sandy beach the site claims, that is not a beach, it is artificial and is tiny, look to the left and right and see what it really is.
6. They tout that Broadband Internet Access and wireless is one of their SERVICES, they don’t mention that for me to have access to wireless internet for the duration of my stay would have cost me A$125, a figure that will get me internet access in Australia for 4 MONTHS and I suspect at least that in Vanuatu.
7. They claimed that there are 5 channels on the satellite TV, we never received more than 2 and most times only 1. We complained but it was never fixed and we were told, incredulously that it was a problem at the TV station!
8. The guest information booklet contained poor information and in an amateurish manner.
9. They hire DVDs at the same price, and higher, than they can be purchased in town. Maybe that explains the poor TV service and the disinclination to fix it when things go wrong.
10. The 8 rooms on the waterfront are so close together and the acoustics so bad that if anyone coughs everybody is woken up.
11. They offer loan of hairdryers, the first didn’t work changed it for another one that didn’t work, gave up.
12. Not sure what they call rooms being serviced each day, they certainly weren’t cleaned each day.
13. The previous may account for the fact that we had regular visits from large cockroaches, in the bathroom, in the air-conditioning system and on our bed.
14. The condition of the room was old and tired; it was long overdue for a complete redecoration. Paintwork is dirty and peeling, bench tops are worn out, particularly the bathroom. The shower was substandard.
15. My wife was accused, by their security guard, of stealing a piece of fruit; he claimed to have seen her steal it. Strange he didn’t say anything at the time he claimed to have seen her but left it until some time later.
16. Given the above the place is outrageously overpriced.
Having stayed at a variety of hotels, apartments, pensions, hostels throughout the world, on all continents I consider this, at the price, amongst the worst I have experienced. I did stay in a room in Paris once that was described as a cross between a Moroccan hash house and a brothel, it was worse but I was a student then and the room cost me the equivalent of A$1 a day.
We put all of these points to the owner, he didn’t seem to care.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Waterfront boutique hotel offering spacious and comfortable self-contained apartments with a panoramic view on Port-Vila Bay. Decorated with Melanesian craft each room is different. Swimming pool, Jaccuzzi, private beach and air conditioning. Close to town center. Ideal for family and couple. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Ebookers, Agoda, Booking.com and Hotels.com so you can book your Fatumaru Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Fatumaru Hotel Port Vila
- Fatumaru Lodge Vanuatu/Port Vila