“Great Place”

Sunset Bungalows Resort
Ranked #9 of 47 Hotels in Port Vila
Reviewed 13 June 2013

I just finished a 7 day holiday in Vanuatu where I was lucky enough to have discovered Sunset Bungalows, initially I was looking at places right in Port Vila but glad I made the decision in the end to stay here. The room I had was a one bedroom unit with a deck sitting out over the water, it was so picturesque and the whole outside wall opened up so it was totally open revealing an awesome view and experience. I arrived at 3.00 am and they had staff there to take me and my luggage straight to the room leaving the official check in until later in the morning. The breakfast was a selection from a variety of choices and then service was excellent. My hosts were warm and charming ( Greg and Audrey ) and could not go out of there enough to make sure everything was good and that I had plenty of information about tours and things to do on the island. Getting to and from the resort to town was never an issue as there are continuous stream of the local shuttle buses going past all the time and at VT150 each way it is the cheapest trip you will find anywhere and it never took any longer than 10 minutes to get in to town. Dinner in the resort was excellent and reasonably priced as well. For a romantic retreat this place has got it all and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it as a must place to stay. If I go back to Vanuatu I will stay here again and wouldn't change a thing from the last stay.

Room Tip: All the rooms are over the water with the exception of the first floor which have views of the lagoo...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Lesk1956
There are newer reviews for Sunset Bungalows Resort

Reviewed 5 June 2013

My work colleagues and I had just come to the end of facilitating some training in Vanuatu and were in need of some R'n'R and we certainly found it at Sunset Bungalows. The staff are very friendly and helpful and we felt well attended to. The location is very beautiful and if you stay in a bungalow, you have a little Aquarium right below your balcony. The first 2 nights were a bit noisy, but that was because the weather was intense (no fault of the Bungalows!), however, the beauty of the place made up for that. There are local buses coming by often and it's a quick ride into town, or you can negotiate a price with a driver to go further out. The Bungalows can also assist with organising tours as well, so it's up to you :)
We are likely to return to Vanuatu for work, so it is highly likely we will return to the Sunset Bungalows for a nice retreat. I will certainly recommend this place to others.

Room Tip: Definitely request a bungalow
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank pencat
GMTWO, General Manager at Sunset Bungalows Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2013

Thank you, we loved having you stay with us. Please come again.

Reviewed 3 June 2013

Sunset Bungalows was a great place for our first night in Vanuatu. Just out of town, Sunset Bungalows gives you peace and calm after your first view of the rather run-down Port Vila area. Audrey and Greg gave us a very friendly welcome, great tips of what to do and how to get around, but also gave us the space to settle in. We had a superior bungalow right over the water which was lovely, with great big comfy bed. We were also close to the pool so we could easily take a dip to cool off. The meals in the restaurant were great. Like much of Port Vila, the bungalows look a little tired but as new owners, I'm sure Audrey and Greg will get on top if the maintenance in short order. I would certainly recommend Sunset Bungalows as a good introduction to the PV area.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 June 2013

We stayed in the honeymoon bungalow. From the moment we arrived we were welcomed in. Our bungalow was beautiful and had everything we needed. The owners are on site and full of helpful information on where to go and what to do. Although a little way out of town we preferred it to staying amongst the hassle and bustle. Catching a bus into town was super easy. Just stand out the front and flag 1 down. $300 vatu for the 2 of us. It was a lovely relaxing intro to vanuatu. Highly recommended

Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 May 2013

Well I think previous reviewers have said it all, great place, with bus at door every few minutes into town, lovely views across lagoon, quiet rooms, huge comfy beds, great meals in the restaurant, hot showers with plenty of pressure, lovely friendly staff , and so peaceful with no rug rats running around. managers Audry & Greg could not do enough to make sure you were happy and enjoying your stay, 2 so down to earth people. would highly recommended Sunset Bungalows. If you are changing Aust money to Vatu;s do it at Goodies in Port Vila you will get a much better rate than in Aust. in May in Aust some exchangers were paying 72V to 82V depending where you changed . in Port Vila Goodies were paying 92 Vatu to the Dollar . we exchanged enough in Aus to pay for taxi to accom then changed the remainder later at goodies, When we were there in May Taxi from Airport to Sunset cost 2700 Vatu, we organized a bus back and it cost 2500Vatu, spend all your Vatus' before you come home as you get nothing for them back in oz and put your small change into donation boxes at air port to help charities Bus into town cost 150 each way cheap hey, eating out is on par with oz but souvenirs seemed a bit over priced compared to Asian city's which is understandable. they are lovely friendly people in Vanuatu.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank fredyfreeloader
Reviewed 12 May 2013

Having previously done the kids friendly Vanuatu my wife and I decided to steer clear of the tourist track and find a more locally flavoured location so we settled on the Sunset Bungalows.
We booked a lagoon bungalow which is perched right over the water with a spectacular uninterrupted outlook which was perfect to watch the evening set in.
The room was large, clean and air conditioned and the bed was very comfortable. The bathroom was spotless and the shower pressure and water temperature were excellent. I was even able to pick up some Aussie channels on the TV and surprisingly got my fix of AFL one afternoon when we returned from diving.
The resort is managed by Greg and Audrey who are seasoned travellers and are truly two of life's "nice people" - nothing was too much trouble, the food at the restaurant was excellent and they even opened up early for breakfast so we could eat before an early start dive trip.
The staff were friendly, informative and well trained and it was a pleasure booking restaurants and getting information about the many local attractions.
We were a little concerned about being ten minutes out of town however the local buses (which are really just Maxi Taxi type vans) go past the door every couple of minutes, (the longest we had to wait was three minutes).
The bus costs about $1.00 AUS per person into town and it is a great way to see how the locals live and to meet some of the real Vanuatu characters.
Overall we could not have hoped for a better accommodation experience and we will definitely be staying at the Sunset Bungalows whenever we return to Vanuatu (which we plan to do at every opportunity).

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank GlenBrisbane
Reviewed 3 May 2013 via mobile

I was lucky enough to receive a holiday to Vanuatu for my birthday (thanks Dad) and the place he had organized was by far the best choice!
Our room was perfectly accommodating and the staff and owners were a fantastic help.
With the water literally below our toes on the balcony, you just felt like in the commercials!
But, in saying that, take insect repellent! If you are one of those people where mosquitoes LOVE your blood, be ready! There are curtains to prevent this around the bed, but the person I happened to be traveling with was claustrophobic... So I suffered.
Nonetheless go and enjoy Sunset Bungalows - such a treat!!

• Stayed: January 2013