All reviews superior orchid room fire show shared facilities wild pig trivia night budget hotel ceiling fan small room close to town great pool main town tanna coffee tour desk elliot vila vanuatu resort
Reviewed 31 August 2018

We got a good budget deal, flight, room and breakfast included. The staff were all lovely, very friendly and happy to help. The breakfast should have had more fruit options, mainly banana, sometimes pomelo and some papaya. Beans, hash browns and tomato were the vegan options. Our room was very basic and ok for the price. We were lucky to get an awesome poolside view, ask for room 310, if you want this Wifi reception was dodgy at best, so prepare for that! But as I said, good budget deal, probably cheapest in Vanuatu.

Room Tip: 310 or 210 for poolside budget room. Shared bathroom wc
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 August 2018 via mobile

The room was bare bones but that's too be expected when you ask for it. The atmosphere was absolutely fantastic though. Coconut palms is located about a 10 minute walk from the seawall where I did my open water diver cert. It is also about 10 minutes from the downtown core where you can shop and signup for tourist things. The food at coconut palms was also fantastic, I had a few of the sandwiches and main courses. I was pleasantly surprised by the flavors and presentation!

Stayed: August 2018, travelled solo
1  Thank Experience792213
Reviewed 27 August 2018

We were three couples who had all booked via Expedia, and booked the same rooms (Superior Orchid Room) and paid the same price. When we all got to our rooms, we found that we had varying standards. Our room was No 304. Consisted of a Double bed & a Single bed. A very small open wardrobe, tea & coffee and a very old microwave. And a very small bar fridge.There was no balcony, but had a nice view out to the water. The bathroom looked as if it had been renovated and was nicely tiled. But little space to house toiletries. When catching up with our friends we found that one couple was put in a very small room (I think 108) with a horrible view over a corrugated roof. They were not happy. While our other friends were given a room in a seperate building and had a large Studio Apartment which consisted of a King size bed, a proper wardrobe and a little kitchen. So we headed off to reception to see if we could be transferred into one of these studios. We were advised we could the day after, but at a cost of $150. We said yes. But in hindsight I should have questioned whether the first room we had was in fact the standard we had booked. We were much happier in the Studio as it was quite a large room. The room also had an outside deck were we could sit and had a nice view of the garden. The kitchen equipment was very basic. There was a hot plate there which look so old and rusty it belonged in the bin.The only thing I used was the kettle as that looked new. And there was a full size fridge, which was handy for water, juice etc. Bathroom was basic, with shelves for toiletries. And the shower.... well it need a good clean with bleach as there was mold all around base.
Now to breakfast.... our "Buffet" Breakfast was included. This always consisted of eggs, beans, sausage, tomatoes, hash browns and pancakes. Toast, jam and peanut butter. Juice and a tiny amount of fresh fruit. To make your tea or coffee you had to boil a kettle at the bar of the restaurant. I thought this was so dangerous. It was high and awkward to pour from. It was an accident waiting to happen! The breakfast sounds so nice.... but the staff took so long to replenish the food. At one time there was six people all waiting around to get some find of food. My Hubby ordered eggs, never got them, and gave up. The staff are so nice, and always have a smile, but come on management.... train them properly. It isn't hard to keep a check on the food levels.
The pool area was nice, with sun lounges. Gardens were kept nice.
Bar staff were very friendly, and we had some fun happy hours. The pool table had seen better days. The first night there were local dancers to entertain us, and we joined in which was fun. There was a couple of other nights which had some entertainment, but we did not bother with them. Not sure that a Trivia Night is something that is suitable in the hotel... could be wrong. But I wouldn't have thought tourists would be interested in it.
I think there is room for a lot of improvement in this hotel. Spend a bit of money and renovate kitchens and bathrooms. If the hotel is run/owned by Aussies then a trip to Kmart wouldn't go amiss. Buying kitchen equipment and towels etc would not be too costly. So, I knew this was going to be basic, and it was. Unfortunately there is no incentive for us to return to Vanuatu. The people are very friendly and always have a smile and a "hello". But it is so expensive....!

Room Tip: Check the type of room. Some have shared bathrooms.
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 August 2018

I visit Port Vila regularly and have stayed at different places. Usually the service standards and rooms are very satisfactory. This time it was a disappointment. First the plumbing in the room was bad and was not even fixed after informing the front desk. Room was not cleaned and towels changed on one day and I had to follow up. Some of the staff did not understand English properly and I had to repeat my requests twice or thrice. The location is good, quite central and walking distance to town

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 August 2018

I have walked past this hotel a thousand times going up to the hospital for work, and I finally managed to stay here!

Nice place to stay. Great location for getting into town (or MOH/WHO or hospital, if you need to access those places). Staff were very friendly and helpful,* including walking us over to a local shop that was open late after my partner's flight was delayed but he still needed dinner, and cutting and peeling a pamplemousse for me. :)

Included breakfast was great. Good variety, healthy options, including fresh fruit, and there always seemed to be plenty of food available. Also, fresh eggs made to order. That is something I haven't seen at a hotel buffet before!

Pool was nice and chilly. Long enough for swimming laps. Never full. Bugs and leaves found their way into the water, despite cleaning. Also, pool gets cleaned mid-morning, so schedule your swimming around that.

One thing I would have done differently was ensured I booked a room with en suite bathroom. (Oops, my bad for not checking!) The hotel was not super busy when we were there, so there really wasn't anyone else competing for shared toilets and shower. But if shared bathrooms aren't your thing, make sure you book the right room for your needs.

*(I should note that my partner and I have spent a lot of time in Vanuatu and are both fairly fluent in Bislama, the local pidgin language. Speaking in Bislama and respecting local customs does tend to ingratiate one with local staff.)

Room Tip: Not all rooms include bathrooms—book a room with an ensuite if you don't like sharing.
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple