“Very poor even for the great price and upgrade”
Review of Benjor Beach Club

Benjor Beach Club
Ranked #25 of 47 Hotels in Port Vila
Sydney, Australia
“Very poor even for the great price and upgrade”
Reviewed 2 January 2014

Me, my two sisters and our partners were upgraded to the 5 bedroom Villa at Benjor. The resort has a lot of potential, it is situated on a beautiful beach front but unfortunately the service and amenities are not well kept up to date. My parents stayed in the private villa but I will let them make their own review. In the 5 bedroom villa we had the following issues; 2 (one in the dining area) of the fans were broken, moving only at a very slow speed and making the house was very hot in these areas; the TV broke during our stay and was fixed 3 days after the complaint was made; their was no hot water the vast majority of the time in the en suite and only a couple of minutes in the main room and the water was either boiling hot or cold; the oven was dangerous, one of the knobs was broken and the trays inside sat angled so they would slide towards you when you open the door (this is just downright dangerous and should have been fixed even though we had a free upgrade); there was hardly any cooking equipment (we tried to make Nachos one night and it took forever as we had to improvise); the washing machine was broken and; there were holders for smoke detectors but no smoke detectors.

In addition the pool needed a very good clean by the 7th day we were there.

Although we got a free upgrade to this villa I would expected that most of these things would be working in the house especially things regarding safety seeing you can pay to stay in this house. On the surface the house looked lovely and inviting but I think the owners and managers need to take a closer look at their facilities. I understand that we went over christmas/new years and it may have been hard to get someone to fix stuff, but it all should have been done before.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank bjh953

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Berwick, Victoria
Reviewed 2 January 2014

The 5 of us had a meal here as we were staying only 3 km's down the road. The menu looked very good and the location excellent. Prices a little high but we wanted a night out.
My wife and I ordered Deep Sea fish in coconut,the kids had fish & chips and my sister steak. My fish in coconut was tough and had little to no flavor, I ended up eating the kids Fish & Chips, could have been frozen fish. The souffle looked really nice and we all had that for desert. Have to say average and not 100% cooked. Told the staff on duty who reported it back to the Chef.
Paying the bill was an interesting experience as the EFTPOS machine was down and my card could not be processed manually.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank GriffinFamily4
Tweed Heads, Australia
Reviewed 15 December 2013

Loved this place - rooms right on the ocean with great views and a good restaurant this was truly one of the most relaxing holidays i have ever been on. Snorkelling was excellent and the rooms large and airy. We really came home thinking that we had actually had a holiday. thanks also to the great staff who were very helpful. Would love to come back next year.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank robin c
Sunshine Beach, Australia
Reviewed 11 December 2013

My husband and I have had a really great experience at Benjor. We stayed for 7nights in one of the Ocean Villa rooms - great sundeck and views - large, clean and spacious with own bathroom, fridge and tea making. We had booked here as there was a really good deal on and we wanted to be by the ocean even though we were spending less than you would normally spend to get a room with a view let alone on the ocean with great snorkelling. The staff are simply a treat and could not have been more helpful in organising tours. We also had the pleasure of meeting the owners who were managing the resort - they were there every night making sure we were all happy (we certainly were) and told some very funny stories of their experience in Vanuatu over the years. Apparently the resort is named after their children which we though was great. The Resort is showing a bit of age but this was honestly off set by the great price for the accommodation, the location and service. We really loved it and would definitely like to come back.

Room Tip: We were shown the newer two bedroom rooms which have kitchens and think if we came back we would boo...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank christine w
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Just returned from 8 days at Benjor beach club with my 19 year old son , my sister and her family of 4 and 4 friends ...10 of us in all . The staff were very friendly and helpful and have I have no complaints there , but I must say I was very disappointed with certain things. My sister and family booked an ocean front spa villa room so they could have kitchen facilities for cooking but when they arrived after their late flight from Brisbane at almost midnight they were put into a room that was not what they paid for. The room was well under the standard they expected with the bathroom and toilet stained and not clean looking at all .

When my brother in law spoke to the manager and said he would like to be put in room he had booked she was not very happy and although she did move them she did seem to hold a grudge against them for the rest of our stay. We were told rooms would be cleaned every 3 days but that didn't happen we actually had to ask after the fourth to just get clean towels . We had no hot water for our entire stay and at one stage we had a power black out and so could not cook or use the ceiling fans to get any relief from the heat.

We had continental breakfast included but even that was not up to scratch with the milk be being sour and we almost every morning had to ask for sugar for cereal and more bread and butter for making our toast .

This was my first overseas trip for 30 years and my sons first ever and both of us were expecting a completely different experience. Unfortunately even though the staff were wonderful I am afraid I would not recommend staying at Benjor to others .

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jenny A
happygirlmm, Owner at Benjor Beach Club, responded to this review, 10 December 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review about our lovely resort. I have made extensive enquiries about some of your comments and feel that some important facts have been left out. Your brother-in-law did book a Studio Spa Villa thinking there was a kitchen and oven in there. There has only at best been a kitchenette with no oven and in fact these have been removed sometime ago and were not advertised in the forum he booked through. Our GM, Sally, who has had many, many positive reviews and in my experience has only ever been polite and friendly with guests - then gave your brother-in-law a complimentary upgrade to a two bedroom Villa with a kitchen and oven..... With regards to your other comments - the calcium is a huge problem in Vanuatu and sometimes things (particularly tapware etc) can appear to not be shiny and clean - they are clean but just not shiny!! The calcium can also affect the water flow and this is most likely why you had problems with the hot water. We usually flush all lines with acid to help with this problem. My apologies if the Tropical Breakfast buffet was not up to standard and these comments have been passed onto our chef's to ensure that does not happen again. I hope that you will get another opportunity to come back to lovely Vanuatu and we would welcome you and any of your family back to Benjor - maybe one of the five bedroom fully self contained Villas would be more suitable and I would be happy to do a fantastic deal for you as repeat guests. Again thank you for your comments.

All the best
Miranda
Reviewed 22 November 2013 via mobile

We booked a packaged deal with flight centre which included accommodation and flights. When we arrived at Benjor, we were greeted and were given cold drinks. We were given a room facing the ocean.

Pros:
- quiet and isolated, good place if you want to relax. You pretty much had the place to yourself (this is what we experienced)
- have a mini put put golf
- staff were friendly and accommodating. We wanted to BBQ but BBQ was not working so the chef allowed my partner to cook the meat in the kitchen. They also lend us utensils, etc.

Cons:
- a bit far from the city. You'd have to catch a taxi to get to the city which is about 15-20 mins drive. So if make sure you have a list to buy when you're in the city
- shells on pathway. I personally think this feature is a con although it does look good, it's hard on the feet if you're walking barefoot
- tv and DVD didnt work. This didnt bother us as we were mainly out and about during the day.
- restaurant food was a bit expensive and we thought the price didnt match the quality and quantity of the food.

A tip if you're from Australia and has an ANZ account - don't worry about exchanging money. Do it in Vanuatu. Plenty of ANZ ATMs there and exchange rate was better.

Stayed February 2013
1 Thank angelacharisse
Thank you so much for your review - we appreciate how busy we all are (particularly leading up to Xmas!).

All the very best and we hope to see you back at Benjor sometime soon.

Miranda
Tweed Heads, Australia
Reviewed 13 November 2013

Had my first holiday in over 12 months and this resort was perfect. Right on the ocean with a great deck to sit and watch the waves while drinking back some of the local beer. Followed by a great steak in the restaurant - accompanied by great views and staff. Then stagger down to the pool - chill out - back to the Villa and repeat and repeat and repeat.... thanks I have gone home a much more relaxed man!

Room Tip: All the rooms seemed to have the same great ocean views - ours was close to the pool and restaurant...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple