Travelled on New Years Day 2012 to Vanuatu, Booked a cheapie place as it was just my friend and myself with no kids to please.
I would describe Blue Pango as a "would be, if I could be place", its got the location/ positon, the atmosphere but the rooms need a little maintenance. Don;t get me wrong from that description, they were liveable and certainly useable, just maintenance is not high on the owners priority.
Blue Pango is situated right on the water, hammocks swing in the trees on the waters edge which keeps you cool and relaxed and next to it a village that has the warmest most beautiful people, especially the kids.
The pool is like you backyard pool but hey it keeps you refreshed, which is what you need as the weather was very hot. It has a room full of kitchenware that you can help yourself to, towels , pillows, sheets etc.... We cooked for ourselves in our room and ate out on our verandah every night. We did a shop at the local supermarket ( big one just out of town) and self catered, which was fine as Blue Pango is defineately out of town and the cost of a trip each way would add up.
The highlight of our trip and a definite added bonus was the arrival of 30 Korean University Students ( guests of the Korean owner Mr Solomon) They were learning to be elementary teachers so they had come over to continue their studies in vacation time and teach the village kids who cannot afford to go to school. These students were amazing, they were up at 5.30am every morning doing there exercise and having breakfast, they they would go off and pick up the village kids along the way and teach they all day. Back at about 5.00pm where they would all cook there dinner ( smells were amazing) then it was back to planning the lessons for the next day. they retired at 11.00pm. Dedication plus. During the evening the kids from the vllage next door would come over and join in their games and lessons, playing their musical instruments and singing wonderful songs. You may think that would be annoying while your on holidays but it was a great atmosphere and amazing to see native village kids interact.
We met other intersting people from Noumea, Sydney, Melbourne and Korea. Every body was friendly and happy with their stay.
I would recommend Blue Pango to pople who are not expecting much, as places are always what you make of them and how you except what is there. You will get to meet the locals first hand at this place as every day they come to the fence to chat and sing. They play in the water and teach each other to surf and fish. Its great to watch.
Give Blue Pango a go as it is an experience.
There is not Fitness Centre or Restaurant.
There are no eating places in the near vicinity, thats why we opted to buy up at the supermarket and cook our own. ( please note the the butcher is only open at the supermarket at certain times of the day, so check this out as you may get there and it is closed, same as the alcohol section),
Its not hard to get a bus into town, just a short walk up the driveay to the road into town ( you wouldn't walk into town it;s too far and hot.
Overall I liked Blue Pango and the time we experienced there.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to Blue Pango Motel. Located in Port Vila, 5 minutes from the City centre, but far enough away to enjoy the peace and quiet of Vanuatu. Sat in a tranquil location overlooking the ocean with beach access, We have five triple private rooms, four double private rooms,and two 5 bunk-bed shared dormitories. All rooms have their own kitchen with refrigerator/freezer, gas stove and sink. There are also extra communal cooking facilities complete with cooking utensils provided. All private rooms have their own ensuite with hot shower and flush toilet. The dormitories have a shared shower/toilet. All rooms have fans and windows are protected with mosquito screens and have shutter style wooden vents to let the cool breeze in. There is a cool North Easterly breeze most of the year. Free wifi available. Secluded terrace with outdoor seating. Due to Cyclone Pam our swimming pool is non-operational but will be available from December 2015. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Agoda and Odigeo so you can book your Blue Pango Motel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Blue Pango Hotel Port Vila
- Blue Pango Motel Vanuatu/Port Vila