“second to none, exceeded my expectations”

Grand Hotel And Casino
Ranked #20 of 47 Hotels in Port Vila
Reviewed 7 May 2012

Just spent 5 days in Venuatu. I was unsure on where to stay, and decided to stay at The Grand Hotel, in the centre of Port Vila. During my stay, I visited many of the other resorts, and was extremely happy with my choice - The Grand is a gorgeous property, with great food, rooms, decor, facilities and service. The location is central and convenient. I will recommend The Grarnd Hotel and Casino to anyone and everyone that is planning on staying in Port Vila.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
4  Thank MurrayDPearson

Reviewed 1 May 2012

The Grand Hotel and Casino has a great pool, great restaurant and helpful staff. Food is good, drinks are cold and Hemisphere bar has a great view in the evening. It's amazing decor is the best kept secret in Port Vila. If you want a convenient clean place to stay in town this is it. We stayed over New Year's Eve and couldn't fault it. Walking distance to the Markets and a short cab ride away to other incredible restaurants. Looking forward to our return.

Room Tip: Just ask for the room with a view!!
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank sydneye13
Reviewed 26 April 2012

Cant fault it**. Rooms well appointed and great views, service first class. Breakfast would be as good as I have had anywhere. Great selection, coffee good and strong, egg station on the ball. Selection of pastries just amazing.
** The only thing I might add in the rooms is a tray in the shower to hold the soap/shampoo (as opposed to on the floor).
If you are going on business THIS IS the place to stay. Good walk througfh town or the other way to Erakor lagoon. Watch the comings and goings in the harbour.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Stephen C
Reviewed 25 April 2012

What is a holiday without a couple of hiccups that soon become “the good old days” or “do you remember when” conversation starters.

We decided, pretty much on a spur of the moment whim early this year that we would travel to Vanuatu for Easter and after looking at many options settled on the Grand Hotel & Casino.

Our initial experience with the communications we received from the hotel before we arrived, the transport from the airport and check-in process was excellent and we were looking forward to a great stay.

Unfortunately, despite our booking request for a non-smoking room we found ourselves in a smoking room which dampened our enthusiasm a little. A call to reception quickly sorted out the problem and we moved, again unfortunately into a room that I later found out from conversations with the General Manager was meant to be “off-line” but given the hotel was nearly fully booked just reflected the intentions of the front desk staff to be of as much assistance to the guests as possible (an attitude that we observed many more times during our stay)

We were just settling into that room when the reservations manager called and said he had another option for us and he would come and assist us to move to room 501 which is one of the best “non-suite” rooms in the hotel. It was called a panaroma view room and is very accurately named. Floor to ceiling windows that take in around a 240 degree view over the water and towards Iririki island. A comfortable king bed, a sitting area and great marble bathroom with plenty of space and light and, for me, the essential separate walk in shower made the time .we spent in our room very comfortable.

We would certainly try go back to that room again on our next trip to Vanuatu, it was all the web pages claimed it to be and then some.

We had a great time and were impressed by the happy smiling attitude of all the staff we saw / met during our stay. We were also very impressed by the way the senior staff in the management group (Dean as GM, Sarah as F&B Manager and Khadag as Senior Chef de Cuisine) were a very visible, friendly presence around the hotel, always had time to stop and chat to the guests and were willing to pitch in and help the staff, to us the mark of a management group who know what they are doing.

The hotel location is excellent and provides a great base for wandering around and doing some shopping, walking along the water front, visiting the markets and generally being in the thick of the action. The added bonus of an in-house casino finished off the experience.

We really didn’t know what to expect but were super impressed with the whole Grand experience and are already making plans to visit again

Room Tip: go for the high floors, be firm about non smoking if that is important and if you can afford the lit...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank JohnMac1947
Reviewed 23 April 2012

I stayed at the Grand Hotel and Casino for three nights recently. On arrival I was greeted warmly and for my entire stay the staff were really friendly and helpful. The views from the room were fantastic it was great after doing my day's business to be able to relax in the pool and have a cold Tusker. The location is very central to many bars, cafes and restaurants, as well as the market, which is great to visit. The room was clean and everything was functional. I will certainly stay again on my next trip to Vila.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank bordorep
Reviewed 22 April 2012

I stayed at this property in March, 2012 on a business trip. The Grand Hotel and Casino is right in the heart of Port Vila, so its only a few minutes walk from everything including ATM's either on site or opposite the hotel. The Iririki Island ferry is right next door and it operates 24 hours a day. There is also a supermarket and local markets about 1 minute walk from the hotel and many restaurants/shops nearby (don't shop on the day a ship is in, the prices go up alot on these days). Give the Coconut Crab a try while you still can at the Chill Restaurant.

The hotel itself is very clean, the rooms are beautiful and modern with all of them having their own balcony facing the lagoon! Great for drinks to watch the sunset (spectacular). Although this property is of a hotel standard (where in Vanuatu you may prefer a resort style property), I would still stay here on the fact that it is close to everything and clean as anything! The staff are very friendly and they have free wi-fi available to guests (password's obtained from the lobby). There is also a tours desk (if you already haven't booked them) and a pool for those who want to relax.

Room Tip: If you are looking for a resort style experience this is not the property for you.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 April 2012

I stayed at the hotel on my own & found the experience was fantastic. I had a harbour view room on the 4th floor which had the most amazing views. The room was very comfortable & had a really comfortable bed. The hotel amenities were wonderful & the staff were helpful & always happy & willing to assist. The location was very convenient & all facilities required were within walking distance. I must add, that the room was very quiet & there was no noise from other people in next rooms, which for me, is important.I would highly recommend this hotel & look forward to returning in the not too distant future!!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo