“Accident in the hotel premises”
Review of Hotel Olympic

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Port Vila
Hotel Olympic
Ranked #13 of 23 Port Vila B&B and Inns
Reviewed 21 January 2013

The bath tub did not have any bath mats. And the bath tub was quite slimy that I had a terrible slip and had a very nasty fall. This was in late March last year, and I still have the bruised mark on my body. During the fall I had hit the floor with a slump, as I was totally knocked out by the slip. While still in Vanuatu - the hotel manager was kind enough to send me to a doctor, but that did not solve the whole issue, as my pain continued when I reached Fiji. The hotel manager had assured me to keep in touch.
Sad thing is that the hotel's insurance company says that the hotel is not responsible and not at fault. I have told them that the hotel failed to provide the bath mat, whereby I slipped and fell.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business

Reviewed 19 August 2012

We were running low on funds, when we booked into Olympic hotel, for our last night in Vanuatu. The rooms were comfortable, and spotless. The carpet was a little bit dated and worn in parts, but acceptable. Nice shower

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank vakilidonighi
Reviewed 24 June 2012

We stayed here for a week in a twin room in April.

Location:
The Hotel is very central and walking distance to lots of restaurants, cafes and shops which was great. It also on a busy main road which didnt really bother us too much but bring some ear plugs if you are a very light sleeper!

Rooms:
The room was very spacious with a kingsize and single bed (both very comfortable), lounge area and t.v, kitchenette and bathroom. There is aircon, free wireless internet in the rooms (a little slow but adequate), a kettle, microwave and toaster plus basic kitchen facilities.

The shower pressure was excellent and the air con worked very well. The t.v wasnt great but to be honest we never really used it. The room decor is tired but still clean. We did see inside a couple of the renovated rooms which looked fantastic but of course more expensive.

Facilities:
There is a shared "area" on the 3rd floor (?) with tables, chairs, BBQ area, books etc but never seemed to be used which is a shame as it could be fantastic. We did ask a member of staff how to turn on some of the lights in the area one evening but a ladder and dangling electrical wire was involved so we decided to not use it at night! You can also access the restaurant below from this area using the stairs leading down from the metal gate.

Service:
The staff on reception were always friendly and willing to help. The room was cleaned every day and even our dishes were cleaned when we had forgotton to clean them before leaving the apartment for the day.

Tips:
Happy hour cocktails at the Grand are worth doing although the quality of the cocktail does sometimes depend on who mixes it!

There is a little rustic cafe immediately opposite the Hotel (water front) which showed movies on certain nights of the week with great value food and drinks. Definately recommended. Come out of the hotel entrance, turn left, cross over the road and then immediately head towards the water; the cafe will be on your left.

Fab coffee and sunsets at Chantillys. Food was good too although a little expensive.

Snorkelling at Hideaway Island was fantastic - we went there nearly every day. The best snorkelling was in the morning when the tide was in so you could swim over all of the coral. We would normally arrive around 10.30ish. The beach here is coral (not sand) so make sure you bring some reef shoes as these are def needed.

If you go to Mele Cascades Waterfalls make sure you put on some Anti Mosquito spray!! I forgot and ended up with over 20 itchy bites. BUT dont let this put you off; the trip is stunning.

Finally, lock your case and do not leave any valuables in your case when checking in your case at Port Vila airport; unfortunately I didnt and my camera was stolen despite checking in the case

Room Tip: Rooms higher up are quieter
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 May 2012

My stay at the Hotel Olympic was a happy experience. The staff were friendly and very knowledgable of the local attractions that Port Vila have to offer. The hotel is right in the centre of Port Vila with local eateries within walking distance. My room had been recently refurbished in a tasteful calming colour palette and was very spacious and exceptionally clean. I will definitely be returning to this establishment on my next visit to Port Vila.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Donna G
Reviewed 1 May 2012

I give top rating to this hotel because it was simply great value for money. All you could reasonably ask is that the rooms were of a high standard and they were with comfortable beds, large white tiled floors and spacious en suite.

Cafes, restaurants, breakfast bars were all around and the Vanuatu Cruising Yacht Club 5 minutes away.

MALCOLM CARR solicitor

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Malcolm C
Reviewed 13 December 2011

I spent a month in the Olympic. It's a short walk to most of the businesses in Vila, and handy to many restaurants, cafes, the Tropical Market, Anchor Inn and Nambawan Cafe. I had two rooms - a large double with basic kitchen facilities (electric frypan, jug, microwave and refrigerator), and a two room suite with a full kitchen. The rooms fronting the main Vila road are quite noisy.

The rooms are clean and tidy, and serviced with fresh towels and sheets daily. Decor owes more to the 60's and 70's than the current century. Furniture is in good condition, but laminated kitchen and bathroom surfaces were lifting. Free WiFi (but slow; better for email than browsing) and 3 TV stations.There's an outdoor courtyard and barbeque, but no pool. Good hot water.

Staff are friendly and helpful.

Safe and comfortable. At the price, would be happy to stay there again.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Birchgrovers
Reviewed 9 November 2011

I stayed here for five nights in October. The hotel is conveniently located on the main street of Port Vila, on the northern side of town. Restaurants, bars and night-life are within close walking distance. If you want a swimming pool you'll be disappointed. Breakfast is not included: it's an optional extra if one desires it. I found the staff are friendly and helpful, not only with regards to the hotel's facilities, but with their general knowledge about town as well. Wireless Internet is an advertised feature.

My room was styled a "Twin Room", although fitted out with one queen size bed, rather than two beds, which made for a lot more space. Mine was at the front, facing the main street. Whilst there was a bit of street noise, it was never more than an irregular, minor irritant. The queen bed was comfortable, the air con was a touch noisy, but worked well and came with a remote. Other inclusions are in-room tea and coffee facilities, a generously sized bar 'fridge, a small TV and bedside clock-radio. The curtains were thick and kept out unwanted street or early-morning light. There was no in-room security safe. The only complaint I could probably level at the room was the light quality of the bulbs fitted. Both the ceiling and bedside lamps appeared fitted with rather low-wattage bulbs.

I felt external security was quite good. The doors closed at 9:00pm, (a night key was provided) and a security officer was in attendance at the front. He did a good job. On my first late-night return, even though I opened the door with my night key, he still politely verified my bona fides.

In the bathroom, the basin provided both hot and cold running water, the shower water (shower over bath) was hot, didn't run out and had good pressure. The basin was fitted into a long bench top which gave heaps of space to layout all the necessities of bathing without needing to constantly delve into one's bag of bathroom goodies. The only criticisms I'd level at the bathroom is the degree of mildew in the bath recess and also when climbing over the rather high side of the bath, a little care is prudent as one can be a little "off centre" with the potential to slip.

The decor in my bedroom and bathroom was a little tired however it appears that the establishment is gradually being totally refurbished. I settled my account with a credit card along with a card surcharge of 3½%, low by Vanuatu standards.

Summary: A well run mid-range hotel, conveniently situated right in town, close to all facilities, friendly and helpful staff and management. A little "tired" in decor but under active refurbishment.

Room Tip: 1. Request a look at the refurbished rooms. 2. Ask for a room off the main street if outside noise w...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank Hastatus
OlympicHotel, Owner at Hotel Olympic, responded to this reviewResponded 16 February 2012

Hi I have asked a couple of times to have the listing chnages from A B&B to a Hotel.

What do I have to do to get you guys to change it PLEASE