“Very meh”
Review of Ocean Pearl Inn

Ocean Pearl Inn
Ranked #96 of 151 Hotels in Yangon (Rangoon)
“Very meh”
Reviewed 26 October 2013

I got a room here after checking another guesthouse that ended up being full. I paid $20 for the downstairs single. It has an attached bath and a TV, but no windows. The room was big enough and clean. My major gripe was that it constantly smelled like sewage in my room. I eventually got used to it, but it's still super grim. It got a bit better after I'd had the bathroom door closed for a couple hours. That said, the wifi here was the best I'd had in Myanmar, and the breakfast was solid as well. Staff was fine, they helped book my bus and guesthouse for Inle. Location is pretty good as well (better than Mother Land Inn 2).

I'd spring for an upstairs room if I came back. Wouldn't repeat with the downstairs.

Room Tip: Avoid the downstairs room. Smells like crap and doesn't have windows.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Indonesian first
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 25 October 2013

We stayed one night in the hotel right next to Ocean hotel and for the same price ($ 30 but in Burma, it can very quickly evolve upwards), Ocean hotel was a cut above. In Yangon, a double room in the center of the city with own and clean bathroom (hot shower), fridge, air con, and tv (well, one or two channels, it's true), wifi and breakfast, it is a bargain.

A wall with a few tips from travelers may help to discover the city although it would be nice to put a bit more light on it, I would say.

There are also two free shuttles to the airport, at 6:30 to 14:30. It is clearly announced and so, not according to the wishes of the customers !

Best to book in advance.

1 Thank Foefke
Kortrijk, Belgium
Reviewed 24 October 2013

This hotel was horrible. The 2 staff members were not nice. It was impossible to decide when we could take the free shuttle to the airport. We had to fly at 11o clock and they already dropped us at 6.30h at the airport. It was ridicule. The answer they had for us was: "our taxi at 6.30h or you pay your own taxi".
It was rather rude.

We were really disappointed to end our marvelous holiday in Myanmar like this. We always met nice and friendly people who helped no matter was, and this was not the case.

Paying 30$ for a horrible bed, no windows, lots of noise and a terrible 'service' is not what we call a nice budget hotel. This was really expensive!

2 Thank geraldine s

Travellers are raving about these Yangon (Rangoon) hotels

Harbin
Reviewed 24 October 2013

We stayed at Aung Si when we first arrived in Yangon, then again when we were about to leave Myanmar. Free airport pickup was a big plus, and was well organized.
Rooms are clean and comfortable with hot shower, hot and chilled drinking water, aircon and free wifi available 24 hours. Breakfast was one of the better hotel breakfasts we had in Myanmar.

Staff are friendly and helpful. The manager even arranged for a small souvenir we'd missed out on purchasing in Kalaw to be brought in by a friend of his who was coming to Yangon for a visit.

Overall, given the relatively high price-comfort ratio of accommodation in Yangon, Aung Si is very good value.

Room Tip: Room 101 at the front of the building is a good one with a window and its own balcony. Maybe a litt...
1 Thank Llew B
Doha, Qatar
Reviewed 16 October 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights in September, the hotel room is pretty basic, but very clean. The staff are very nice and helpful, and didn't even complain when we had to change our airport pick up time at the last minute as our flight was delayed by 4 hours. Lots of money changers and ATMs nearby, in a very central location.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
Reviewed 12 October 2013 via mobile

Personally, I think the theme for Ocean Pearl Inn is 'good value for money'. Also don't get confused with their website, it is called myanmar-hotel budget.

Location:
Located next to a convenience store, ATM by the corner (less than a minute walk), money changer, buses stop right in front of the hostel, taxis are easily caught, tons of eateries if you had walk less than 3 minutes, left or right. So I would say location is great, all that with a bit of peace. If you had wanted to stay somewhere right smack in the hustle and bustle, 19th Street (20 minutes away by foot) is your best bet. Not sure about the noise though it being around bars and markets.

Cleanliness:
My room was clean, attached bathroom as well, both cold and hot showers worked for me. I appreciate the soap and shampoo. What I think could be improved was the bedding, although I'm sure it's clean blanket, they had the old wool design. I know this can be a bit of a turn off to some, but seemed ok for me. But generally the place is clean.

Price:
Little little things like, free airport transfers to and fro, free toast, coffee and fruits breakfast with free wifi helped with my budget. I had asked some similar profile hotels, they quoted me the same price per night which was 25usd/night but with extra charges for airport transfers so I ignored it. Hotels/hostels in Yangon are generally NOT that cheap so I had settle on the cheapest in town and chose value added services.

Family:
Family with older kids might be okay because the stairs to your room are really steep. Might invite trouble for young kids please reconsider.

Service:
Most of the staff speak English if not some, so that was okay. They're all very down to earth, protective and very helpful, as a lady solo traveler I really appreciate it. Especially. Mr. Cho/ Jo?

Tour:
Erm the daily tour guide they had assign for me was quite shy and still struggling in English so if you're short on patience maybe you can reconsider. Or go to a "proper" travel agent especially if it was for the same price, 50usd full day. It was okay for me because I continously asked him stuff so he was forced to communicate with me, halfway through he was more confident.

Hope this helps!

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Jacqkie
Paris, France
Reviewed 5 October 2013

Big points go to this place for staff, cleanliness, free airport pick up, and breakfast.

Ocean Pearl # 2 is in a good location, staff really try, and it is good value for money.

We arrived at 6am off an overnight bus and were not charged for that night.

It looses a points as the rooms are a little noisy if you are near the reception desk. Otherwise it does what it says on the box, clean, hot water, cheap, cheerful. Money well spent.

PS Air Con is diabolically effective.

• Stayed October 2013