“Warm and welcoming staff”
Review of Ocean Pearl Inn

Ocean Pearl Inn
Ranked #96 of 155 Hotels in Yangon (Rangoon)
Macau, China
“Warm and welcoming staff”
Reviewed 27 February 2014 via mobile

I stayed with my friend for the first 2 days of Myanmar trip at Ocean Pearl 2, Aung SI Guest House. We booked the hostel online and requested pick up. However, we arrived a bit late and by the time out of the custom, it was almost 9:00am. But then we saw a boy holding a sign of the hotel name. We got on a car and it took an hour to get to there. It was located at a small market and on the first floor of a building. It was a bit far from Sulu pagoda but the famous lucky seven teashop was just at the opposite, which I got the delicious mohinga. A double room costed USD25/night which was fair at Yangon standard nowadays, price almost double as Lonely planet for most hostel at Myanmar. We got a room at the back of corridor, which was a bit small but ok for two Asian girls. However, the air-con was cool, bed was clean and tidy, and the bathroom got really hot water and nice toilet:) The breakfast was nice with toasts, banana and hard-boiled egg. But the best of this hotel was its extremely helpful staffs, the girl was very nice and helped us to book bus to Nyuang Shwe; staffs helped us to carry luggage upstairs, and the father-like manager was so kind that he helped us to book taxi to bus terminal and accompany us to the taxi:D Would like to stay again if travelling at Myanmar again

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Oriolekam

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Indonesian first
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

This review is actually for Ocean Pearl Inn 2 or Aung Si Guesthouse. I'm giving it a high rating because of the lovely hotel staff who are always ready to help with a smile. Special mention to Mimi who speaks perfect English and she helped us book our accommodations in Bagan and Mandalay after. The guesthouse offers very basic features and facilities: comfy bed, own t&b with hot/cold shower, simple breakfast, free mineral water everyday and free airport pick up (plus point!). I think the only negative thing I can say is the smell of the bathroom but the hotel staff offered to spray air freshener to eliminate the odor. The outside of the guesthouse is an alley full of market vendors, there are also restaurants near the place. I can't complain much because of the very low price, paid $25 a night for two pax. The accommodation served its purpose.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank AnnaPatriciaB
Reviewed 14 February 2014 via mobile

I have stayed 2 rooms. The first one with window, clean and fine. But the second room is a bit dirty. It looks they haven't cleaned the room before we moved in. We found the floor is very dusty. The staff is helpful.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank 949adal
Oud-Turnhout, Belgium
Reviewed 14 February 2014

Stayed for 3 days:
Room was quite big and the sheets were clean. The bathroom looks kind of sketchy, but it will do.
Other friends I stayed with had repeated problems with the toilet; it clogged constantly. The staff tried to solve it, but it was not a permanent solution. Also, their sink fell of the wall.
Breakfast was included (Western style) and is very filling; usually you only get 2 pieces of toast and some fruit in a place like this.
Wifi was free, but the connection was not that good.
Located near a prominent pagoda and some markets, but not very central.
Staff is very helpfull.

Overall, I thought this was rather expensive for what I received, but I had no complaints and a pleasant stay.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank DominiqueVB
Reviewed 5 February 2014 via mobile

Our room was good size and clean. Good bed. they clean blankets over the sheet after each guest. which is very unusual in Asia in Budget hotels. This is a big plus .Breakfast was adequate .Tea or coffee , toast egg and fruit. Location is actually not bad. We walked to night market, to Bogyuke Aung San market, to Sule pagoda and to ferry. It is really not too far away.
When we arrived they picked us at the airport .
This very decent hotel. Only staff is little bit chaotic and to see them smile ... almost
impossible.
We would recommend this hotel

• Stayed February 2014
3 Thank Oremilak1
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 3 February 2014

I'm enjoying my three night stay here at Ocean Pearl Inn. I book the hotel via online, and send an email for the response of my bookings; the staff responded to my email pretty fast. I terrified there is none of the staff will pick up us (as the also provide for free airport transfer), when I reached Yangon since this is my first visit there but the staff already waiting us. The hotel quite clean and staff was really helpful and friendly. The price also quite reasonable and worth spend money for me.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Syairah87
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 26 January 2014

I didn't enjoy our stay here - the bathroom had a dank smell and made our room damp. We tried to open the window, but it opened out onto a smelly courtyard. But who knows, we might have been unlucky with our room.

I also didn't like the location very much - quite a hike to the centre of town in you're on foot. I would recommend Agga guest house or Agga Hotel - nicer rooms, and right in the heart of bustling Chinatown.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple