“Good for yangon”
Review of Ocean Pearl Inn

Ocean Pearl Inn
Ranked #102 of 163 Hotels in Yangon (Rangoon)
Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

I came here on my 2nd stop in yangon after motherland inn 2 (another backpackers joint) hiked there prices up $5. Maybe not a big deal to some, but it was early morning, I was moody, and besides, they didn't have an available aircon room, so we took our chances at ocean pearl. The room is $30, which is standard for an aircon room in yangon. The room itself is good, with a comfieh bed clean bathroom, and the added pleasures of a tv with English movie channel and a fridge. The air con is very powerful. The room could do with a window and a lick of paint but this is the 'budget' end of accomodation in yangon. The staff were helpful enough and the included breakfast was fine, fried eggs toast banana and coffee/tea. Location wise, it's a 15-20 minute walk to market and train station. Not much of a meet people place but it was a pitstop for me so I wasn't bothered. If I came back to yangon as a traveller, I would stay here, but it still only scores average, as despite it being the standard Myanmar price, I still $30 is just way too much for this.

Stayed: May 2014
3  Thank Baj1491

Reviewed 4 May 2014

I booked this supposedly nice guesthouse (lonely planet). wrong choice. I still give 3 point because there was a free airport pickup and nice staff. I don't know about the other rooms but mine was terrible. It smelled so horrible and the bathroom hadn't seen cleaning forever. The toilette was super dirty and the walls were covered with dirt and mold. The room and bed were fine. I was too tired to complain, but I left the next day although I had planned to stay two nights. At least it was no problem to leave early and they were very helpful with getting a bus ticket to Bagan. Breakfast is ok but overall everything was a bit dirty. My friend had another room and his was fine. But I still wouldn't go there again...

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Simone W
Reviewed 20 April 2014

I stayed here by accident. I had booked a room at their sister guest house Aung Si guest house, but they had no record of my booking so brought me here. My room was up some very steep stairs. I had no window, and I think the room was last decorated in 1972. It did the job I suppose. Accommodation seems to be much of a muchness here. I probably wouldn't stay here again. Particularly if I was travelling with somebody disabled, elderly, claustraphobic or allergic to 1970s paint jobs.

Room Tip: Go to a different city
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Jay M
Reviewed 29 March 2014

we are 4 French seniior citizens and spent 4 nights at ocean pearl.We had very small rooms, one had no windowsThe breakfast room was packed. Though we know rooms are expensive in Yangon we thought the reviews we read were too laudatory .
They arranged a 4 days trip to Mawlamine and we had an excellent driver who ws so nice and helpful, understanding perfectly well what we liked .We still think of him as almost afriend.his name is mr Nyi Nyi

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank nicolejeanpierre
Reviewed 17 March 2014

This place is not great, but can you get better for the price in Yangon? Probably not.

Our double room for $30 per night was comfortable enough. Good sized double bed, decent shower, WiFi, TV and air con that worked.

Breakfast was awful though. An over microwaved egg, sweetened bread and overripe fruit. After the first day we ate breakfast out.

It would have been nice to have a window in the room, although we somehow still ended up with mosquitoes. I guess they came up through the open drain holes.

The staff were friendly enough and even let us check in at 8am when at arrived on a night bus.

Overall it was a decent place to stay and we would stay again if in Yangon.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LaLaLauraLondon
Reviewed 27 February 2014

I stayed with my friend for the first 2 days of Myanmar trip at Ocean Pearl 2, Aung SI Guest House. We booked the hostel online and requested pick up. However, we arrived a bit late and by the time out of the custom, it was almost 9:00am. But then we saw a boy holding a sign of the hotel name. We got on a car and it took an hour to get to there. It was located at a small market and on the first floor of a building. It was a bit far from Sulu pagoda but the famous lucky seven teashop was just at the opposite, which I got the delicious mohinga. A double room costed USD25/night which was fair at Yangon standard nowadays, price almost double as Lonely planet for most hostel at Myanmar. We got a room at the back of corridor, which was a bit small but ok for two Asian girls. However, the air-con was cool, bed was clean and tidy, and the bathroom got really hot water and nice toilet:) The breakfast was nice with toasts, banana and hard-boiled egg. But the best of this hotel was its extremely helpful staffs, the girl was very nice and helped us to book bus to Nyuang Shwe; staffs helped us to carry luggage upstairs, and the father-like manager was so kind that he helped us to book taxi to bus terminal and accompany us to the taxi:D Would like to stay again if travelling at Myanmar again

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Oriolekam
Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

This review is actually for Ocean Pearl Inn 2 or Aung Si Guesthouse. I'm giving it a high rating because of the lovely hotel staff who are always ready to help with a smile. Special mention to Mimi who speaks perfect English and she helped us book our accommodations in Bagan and Mandalay after. The guesthouse offers very basic features and facilities: comfy bed, own t&b with hot/cold shower, simple breakfast, free mineral water everyday and free airport pick up (plus point!). I think the only negative thing I can say is the smell of the bathroom but the hotel staff offered to spray air freshener to eliminate the odor. The outside of the guesthouse is an alley full of market vendors, there are also restaurants near the place. I can't complain much because of the very low price, paid $25 a night for two pax. The accommodation served its purpose.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends