“Good little BACKPACKER”
Review of Ocean Pearl Inn

Ocean Pearl Inn
Ranked #102 of 163 Hotels in Yangon (Rangoon)
Reviewed 21 May 2014 via mobile

This is an ideal place for backpackers I think
Rooms are fairly small BUT aircon worked really well and the water for showers was really hot. The place is fairly old but everything works all right.
Whilst you don't have a choice for breakfast it is quite good with 2 slices of toast, an egg, fruit and tea and coffee.
Staff were courteous and helpful.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank loltraveller2013

Reviewed 11 May 2014

I've stayed in a triple room with friends for the last few nights. Very clean and spacious enough. There aren't any other facilities sadly, but the place is in a good location for restaurants and bars, so don't despair. The free airport pick up is great!
It's nothing special, but the staff are friendly and helpful and you probably won't get much more for your money in Yangon.

Room Tip: Pick a room with a window! Nice to have some air
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Thomas_Alexander1
Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

I came here on my 2nd stop in yangon after motherland inn 2 (another backpackers joint) hiked there prices up $5. Maybe not a big deal to some, but it was early morning, I was moody, and besides, they didn't have an available aircon room, so we took our chances at ocean pearl. The room is $30, which is standard for an aircon room in yangon. The room itself is good, with a comfieh bed clean bathroom, and the added pleasures of a tv with English movie channel and a fridge. The air con is very powerful. The room could do with a window and a lick of paint but this is the 'budget' end of accomodation in yangon. The staff were helpful enough and the included breakfast was fine, fried eggs toast banana and coffee/tea. Location wise, it's a 15-20 minute walk to market and train station. Not much of a meet people place but it was a pitstop for me so I wasn't bothered. If I came back to yangon as a traveller, I would stay here, but it still only scores average, as despite it being the standard Myanmar price, I still $30 is just way too much for this.

Stayed: May 2014
3  Thank Baj1491
Reviewed 4 May 2014

I booked this supposedly nice guesthouse (lonely planet). wrong choice. I still give 3 point because there was a free airport pickup and nice staff. I don't know about the other rooms but mine was terrible. It smelled so horrible and the bathroom hadn't seen cleaning forever. The toilette was super dirty and the walls were covered with dirt and mold. The room and bed were fine. I was too tired to complain, but I left the next day although I had planned to stay two nights. At least it was no problem to leave early and they were very helpful with getting a bus ticket to Bagan. Breakfast is ok but overall everything was a bit dirty. My friend had another room and his was fine. But I still wouldn't go there again...

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Simone W
Reviewed 20 April 2014

I stayed here by accident. I had booked a room at their sister guest house Aung Si guest house, but they had no record of my booking so brought me here. My room was up some very steep stairs. I had no window, and I think the room was last decorated in 1972. It did the job I suppose. Accommodation seems to be much of a muchness here. I probably wouldn't stay here again. Particularly if I was travelling with somebody disabled, elderly, claustraphobic or allergic to 1970s paint jobs.

Room Tip: Go to a different city
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Jay M
Reviewed 29 March 2014

we are 4 French seniior citizens and spent 4 nights at ocean pearl.We had very small rooms, one had no windowsThe breakfast room was packed. Though we know rooms are expensive in Yangon we thought the reviews we read were too laudatory .
They arranged a 4 days trip to Mawlamine and we had an excellent driver who ws so nice and helpful, understanding perfectly well what we liked .We still think of him as almost afriend.his name is mr Nyi Nyi

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank nicolejeanpierre
Reviewed 17 March 2014

This place is not great, but can you get better for the price in Yangon? Probably not.

Our double room for $30 per night was comfortable enough. Good sized double bed, decent shower, WiFi, TV and air con that worked.

Breakfast was awful though. An over microwaved egg, sweetened bread and overripe fruit. After the first day we ate breakfast out.

It would have been nice to have a window in the room, although we somehow still ended up with mosquitoes. I guess they came up through the open drain holes.

The staff were friendly enough and even let us check in at 8am when at arrived on a night bus.

Overall it was a decent place to stay and we would stay again if in Yangon.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple