“Average at best”
Review of Asia Plaza Hotel

Asia Plaza Hotel
Ranked #69 of 163 Hotels in Yangon (Rangoon)
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Stayed at Asia Plaza during first week of April. Its centrally located and good for sight seeing. However, Myanmar is being flooded by visitors and there is a dearth of good accommodation. The result is a pricy, mediocre selection. The rooms look clean at first glance but at the time of my visit, had a rat problem. My advice to anyone who encounters this problem is to tell the staff to clean the room and board up whatever hole the creature came from rather than change rooms. As you may encounter the same problem again in a different room. The hotel has no room service but and the restaurant on the top floor is so so. But step out and you can find some good places to eat.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Niloo_k

Reviewed 28 May 2014

I stayed here only 1 night , hotel location is good and in luck that i got a new room. This hotel has 2 building , the old and the new. The new room is good enough to stay , standard service. Breakfast also accepted. I like the view from the rooftop and at night you will see the light from Shwedagon pagoda. Don't forget to ask for a new building.

Room Tip: ask for a new room in the new building
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank nutellaBangkok
Reviewed 23 April 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights, one at each end of a trekking holiday.
First night, we were in the old wing, with water pouring out of our air conditioning, and a change of room after the""maintenance man" failed to materialise.
Last nightwe had a room in the modern tower, which was more comfortable, and We only had to get the maintenance man out to the leaking toilet!!
Staff on reception are helpful, it is in a good location for visiting Yangon.
Restaurant and breakfast are just ok

Room Tip: Go for the new block!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank sessiagh
Reviewed 20 March 2014

Having been warned that hotels in Myanmar are not of the standard in the rest of SE Asia we were pleasantly surprised by the standard offered by this hotel. We stayed once at the beginning of the tour and again for one night at the end of the tour. Our first room was in the old part of the hotel and the second in the refurbished part. Both rooms were a good size and were clean and well resourced. Fortunately we did not experience any of the problems described in other reviews. There are excellent views from the rooftop restaurant and the rooms on the upper floors and the hotel is convenient for visiting the markets and sights. The internet worked fantastically. The rating would have been 4 * (based on expectations for Myanmar) if the breakfast had not been such a shambles. At the beginning of the tour we had an early start so got packed breakfasts. At the end of the tour we looked forward to a relaxed breakfast in the rooftop restaurant. When we arrived there was nowhere to sit - none of the tables had been cleared and it took several requests to get food which had run out replaced.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Linda P
Reviewed 16 March 2014

I came to look at the hotel before I booked it, they showed me two rooms one delux and one superior suite, I chose the suite and paid for it. When I ckd into the hotel the next morning they tried the bate and switch and brought my bags to a very small room with dirty carpet and a hole in the wall. It took 4 hours for them to give me the room I originally chose and paid for. The next day while I was out room service came to clean- upon arrival my I pad was missing- the management did nothing- tv does not work as well- internet connection is terrible. Worst experience please avoid

• Stayed: March 2014
4  Thank Michelle T
Reviewed 5 March 2014

This hotel is centrally located, which is one of its main benefits. The bathrooms could use some updating, but I found them to be clean, and included toiletries. The staff at the desk speak good English, and seemed very eager to please, and to be helpful. On return to this hotel at the end of my tour, I did find a bug in the bed, and was immediately moved to another room which was free of bugs. The top floor terrace gives a wonderful view over the city, including Shwedagon Paya. They offer a large choice of both western and local food options, which changes from day to day. The rooms have mini-refrigerators, hair dryers are available upon request. Over-all, I'd say this is a reasonable option in Yangon. Book through an on-line company. The hotel's stated prices are over-priced for what you get.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the refurbished rooms. Be sure to check the beds on arrival!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Eileen3
Reviewed 1 March 2014 via mobile

This would've been a 1* review if we hadn't stayed here again at the end of our holiday in a different part of the hotel! We were extremely happy to be given a room on the 13th floor, large spacious room, double bed, nice bathroom etc. However, after traveling nearly 24hrs the least you want is a good sleep. This was not possible when at about 1am we were woken by the sound of rustling in the bin. I sat up just in time to see a rat run underneath the connecting door into the next room! Contacted reception, no spare rooms, porter came to room with a can of fly spray. Unbelievable! Only option was to put a towel in the gap under the door. After a terrible nights sleep we were away all day, came back to find the towel moved and all our snacks missing. Looked under the bed and saw a pile of food. Went to reception and luckily there was a spare room. No relaxation in 2 days, very poor. When we came back at the end for 1 night we were in a different part and the room was 100% better. Would not recommend to anyone unless you can guarantee being in the refurbished part.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple