“Avoid! Bed Bugs!!!”

Ranked #78 of 158 Yangon (Rangoon) B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Avoid! Bed Bugs!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2012

Avoid this hotel!! I have been badly bitten by bed bugs (66 bites in TOTAL) whilst staying in May Shan hotel. When I got back to my home country, I had to see the dermatologist (injection required) as the bites have resulted in severe skin inflamation in the immediate surrounding area of the bites!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Avid_Gl0be_Trotter

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Turkish first
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2012

Overview
: My daughter and I stayed here twice recently and both times found it good value. Some people say it is too expensive for what you get. We saw people come in the lobby, find out the price and leave. Later, virtually everyone came back after finding out the quality of lesser priced hotels.

Positives:
The hotel is centrally located right beside the Sula Paya and within easy walking distance of many downtown sights. The AC worked perfectly for us ( thank goodness) and the rooms were clean enough. Our double room at the back was very quiet. The breakfast was satisfactory, toast, egg, fruit and drinks. If you are expecting a North American style of breakfast, you’ll be disappointed. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. They helped us in phoning other hotels in Myanmar to make reservations. The free wifi was nice but as in almost all the internet in Myanmar, it was very slow.

Negatives:
 Our double rooms were a little bit small, even by Asian standards. Don’t exchange your US bills here. They only gave 825 kyat/ dollar whereas even the banks gave a better rate.

Summary:
Would I stay here again? Yup, for sure

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
Chiang Mai, Thailand
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2012

I stayed there for one night. The room was really small with no windows, it was on the 5th floor. There was no wifi, except for the lobby where all guests packed up to use internet. The lift was really small and felt suffocated. The staff charged half day price for cancelling the room reservation. But, I am glad I left the hotel because I felt like I was paying money to be in a cell. It just did not feel right. The atmosphere is gloomy. I will never go back there again, ever!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank nunujasmine99

Travellers are raving about these Yangon (Rangoon) hotels

London, UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2012

We were stuck for a place to stay in Yangon the night before our flight out. The other central options were the Governors Residence or Park Royal, both at a hefty price tag, so reluctantly I booked this place. Email communication was very prompt and courteous and when we arrived check in was very quick and easy.

The hotel was better overall than I feared it to be, it's a budget place, more like a hostel than a hostel and if you're expectations are set accordingly you shouldn't be disappointed. I'd booked a room with a window. This turned out to be quite small with no glass, bars on it and wooden shutters which were closed - so no view out. As there was no glass there was some noise from outside but we weren't facing the road and the AC drowned it out anyway so it wasn't a problem.

The room was clean and smallish but we slept well. The bathroom is tiny and when you shower everything else in there gets wet but there was plenty of hot water. The staff were helpful and pleasant. The only thing I was a bit concerned about was the security arrangements. We appeared to be the last people to return late one night as our key was out on the counter and the only one left. The person at reception gave it to us then immediately the porter started chaining and shuttering up the front entrance. I am not sure whether someone remained at the door all night but it did strike me as a potential fire escape issue that all the windows in the corridors & communal areas I saw, plus our room (not sure about others) have bars on them and the front door appeared to be chained up overnight.

London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2012

From a guidebook review I booked the best room in the May Shan for our arrival in Yangon. A great view over Sule Paya, especially as the sun was setting. They replied promptly to my email (other places took 3 months to reply!).
We were welcomed and the room was fine. The shower rooms are wet rooms and it is difficult to keep anything dry when you are having a shower.
Pillows are 'rubber' ones, a speciality of Myanmar.
Staff pleasant and room very clean, bright shiny white tiles everywhere. New fluffy towels as well.
However on our return, even though I emailed to say our flight was delayed they did not keep the room for us and charged us $10 more for the same size room 2 floors down. We felt as if we had worn out our welcome, we were like Cinderella after the ball. Not a pleasant feeling!

Room Tip: Did not see any of the windowless room but both of ours had a noisy fan which was linked to the corr...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
Nashville, Tennessee
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2012

On the doorstep of the sule pagoda, not cheap for what you get, we paid $80 for a triple room as it was our first night and we thought we would get space. Room was tiny but it did have a pagoda view.Location was great for loads of eating places and strolling about.

UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2012

Hotel location is great. Very close to the Sule Pagoda and 5 minutes walk to the Baiyoke Market.
Next to it there are a loads of places to eat or have a drink.

On the other side the hotel itself is a bit old fashioned. It has wifi in the small lobby but not in the rooms.
The lift smells of dump as it has carpet on the floor and so do the rooms.
There are 2 types: rooms with and without window. The ones without windows are quite dark.
The bathroom is veeery basic