“Lovely people but not great”
Review of May Shan Hotel

May Shan Hotel
Ranked #81 of 176 Yangon (Rangoon) B&B and Inns
Reviewed 18 October 2013

I paid over $70 USD a night for a double room with a window. Didn't get much for my money - the toilets didn't flush properly, the bottom bedsheet was polyester and kept slipping off the bed, thongs were mouldy. The free wifi internet didn't work for the three days I stayed there even though it was fine at the internet cafe down the road and at the other hotel I stayed at in Yangon.

Accommodation in Myanmar is limited and the poorest value of any SE Asian country I have visited. It's about 3-5 times more than you would pay for equivalent accommodation in Thailand or Vietnam. For Myanmar May Shan hotel is probably average value, but would have appreciated a little bit of attention to detail from the managers of this hotel.

On the positive side, the location is excellent and the people are lovely.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Noisha26

Reviewed 6 October 2013

I stayed at the May Shan in early September and I kind of expected the hotel to be basic but as I found no other better options I went along with it. The room that I stayed in had no windows. The bed, TV, A/C, table, minifridge were all in good/working conditions. The bathroom was very very basic. The lady at the reception desk was pleasant and attentive to any questions. Location wise, its a good place right next to the Sule Pagoda and you can walk around Downtown to see the different markets and other pagodas.

I probably would not return to somewhere like May Shan but then again I don't quite know where I would go. And I was there solo, definitely not recommended for solo travellers...

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 September 2013

It is not a cheap hotel. We traveled in 3, so that I have booked the room 601 with a street view, it was the first day I arrived in Yangon, and I looked out of the hotel window, I have seen the busy street and shrined Sule paya. It was very impressive. Compare to boutique hotels, it is too simple.

If you are like me, use Yangon as a transfer point at both ends of your entire trip, you can stay here one night then stay in the north of city for another. It is not bad, just let you see another facet of the city.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 August 2013

Small room space is the only con of the hotel. The place is clean with hot water, A/C, TV (not needing this) and wifi.The hotel is right next to the Sule Pagoda and within walking distance to the china town, port, post office, British embassy and other colonial buildings, etc.

Our room has no window but we only stayed in the room for sleep and shower - the other time we would be at the lobby for better wifi access. The staff is very helpful and treat you more or less as the family. The hotel charge for taxi is a bit pricy but they do tell you how much should the price of the normal taxi charge and let you try to make your own arrangement - we were there during rainy season and they have umbrella that we can borrow and the old man told me to go blow dried my hair before I catch a cold - very impressed. They were also generous with the food and our use of the hotel dining area to eat the food we brought from outside. So the room was small, but you can roam around the lobby and kitchen as though it's your own house. So how could I complain ;-)

Anyway, if you really need a window, asked for it when making reservation, the room will be bigger so it will cost more. Room no. 601 and 701, not sure if there are other rooms like this.

Room Tip: The normal room has no window. If you want windows, ask for the room for 3 persons, ie. room no. 601...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank KhaeTh
Reviewed 21 June 2013

Room rates seem to be opportunistic and do not reflect the basic nature of the hotel and its amenities. The location is quite central but that is of debatable advantage when there are few attractions nearby. The bus station is a one-hour taxi ride away and well north of the airport. The only worthwhile local attraction was the Shwedagon Pagoda, which is a taxi ride away.

The windowless room was clean but felt claustrophobic and resembled a cell. Breakfast was served in a small space at the rear of the lobby that appeared to be part of someone’s living space.

Staff was helpful and very patient in making numerous calls to find onward hotel accommodation.

My recommendation would be to skip Yangon and start a visit to Burma in Mandalay.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 June 2013

It is not a hotel! Rooms are rather basic, very much ran down. There were no windows in the room! There was a loud fan facing the corridor. It was not particularly clean either. Staff was fine. One great thing about May Shan is its convenient location. Still, for the price they charge there are better options in Rangoon.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 June 2013

Accommodation in Yangon is hard to come by if you want to be a responsible traveler in Myanmar. If you are like me and want your $$ to go to local businesses and hard working families, this is the place to stay. Be warned accommodation is expensive for what you get but that's the reality people! Also, as this was our first hotel experience in Myanmar we were expecting more bang for our buck but after travelling around the country for a month, we ended up back at the May Shan for one night on our way back home so that says something!
Pros - The booking process was easy, all booked via email and got quick responses. Central location, easy walk into town, China town, markets. It's basic but clean. Friendly staff, very helpful with directions and recommendations. It has a lift! Comfortable beds, good water pressure, standard breakfast included, great aircon units, tv and free fast wifi!
Cons - small bathroom, toilet and shower together
Tips - Don't get your money exchanged in the hotel, go into a bank or withdraw from ATMS. We got better exchange rates that way. Clean and new US bills required here. We stayed in room 601 as recommended in the Lonely Planet guide (for the view of the Pagoda) This room was more expensive than the others. We stayed in a double room at the end of our trip and it was just as good. No view but we didn't miss it. Get ready for your tea to come in powder form (this is standard every where in Myanmar) Go around the corner to the teahouse and get a traditional Myanmar Breakfast. Would also recommend getting glasses made at the shop next door. Husband had 2 sunglasses and 2 seeing glasses made, couldn't be happier with the quality! Happy travels!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple