“small room and noisy but great area”
Review of White House Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Yangon (Rangoon)
White House Hotel
Ranked #79 of 171 Yangon (Rangoon) B&B and Inns
Ko Pha Ngan, Thailand
“small room and noisy but great area”
Reviewed 26 November 2012

I arrived there a bit late in evening so the room is small and no window.we had booked one double bed but we are get there only 1 twin bed.staff not much speaking english but the owner is was great.i like them breakfast it better another place in that area . WiFi si slow and not working some time.anyways area is so great area for working.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Paris, France
Reviewed 18 November 2012

For 30$ a night (which is a low price in Myanmar !), you get an AC room, 2 beds (maybe the sheets need a little clean), hot and cold water in the very CENTER of Yangon, next to the Little India, Chinatown and good indian restaurants. Breakfast is really nothing special (like they say in the Lonely Planet, liars :) !!) but the place is cool, backpapers' chill out.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
auatralia
Reviewed 10 November 2012

I ended up here after being stiffed by the Three Seasons (reserved a room in April, reconfirmed in September, arrive in Yangon to find they've double booked a clearly more lucrative Singapore tour group - weak apologies and little help). So, initially, the White House seemed claustrophobic, but it's not alone in having no windows, a common situation in Yangon. The shower was exposed pipes n the wall BUT it was consistently hot and strong, a rarity in Burma. The breakfast, as many have said, is excellent, fresh, varied, and generous. The upper levels, where you eat, are airy and great for lingering, with a small top 'garden' that has views over Yangon. The staff works hard, and the owner is very helpful. And the location is really good - walking distance to Shwedagon, the markets, train station, river etc. It seems to divide a lot of reviewers; like much of travel, perhaps you get the attitude in return that you bring.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 November 2012 via mobile

I stayed on the second floor, which has small rooms with no windows. They do get very hot, but they are the cheapest option. Breakfast is good, but lots of hungry travellers and slow refills mean you should get there early or be happy to linger. Front desk is friendly enough, but as usual changing money or booking tickets/taxis through a hotel generally won't get you the best rate! Decent enough, nothing fancy, nothing too bad!

• Stayed October 2012
SEA
Reviewed 2 November 2012

We stayed on the 8th floor. A small room with 2 beds and no bathroom. The room was so small we couldn't put our bags down. It was really hot and the walls were paper thin. The price for this was 15usd. So over priced it was unbelievable!
Breakfast was included and I think that was the best part of the whole place. The staff were very unfriendly down stairs especially the guy that runs it, I mean he was not ever rude directly but just not nice. Anyways he gave us not the best exchange rate when we changed some money, there is a bank a few block away so wait until there to change your money.
The view was quite nice at the top of the building but don't ever look into the alley way that borders on the hotel.
I'm sure the other rooms were better but for what we paid for we only spent one night then moved into another guesthouse down the road. I'd not recommend this place but if you have to get a mo expensive room!

Room Tip: Splash out and get a more expensive room if you can and or make sure you get a room on the bottom fl...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Zookie Z

Travellers are raving about these Yangon (Rangoon) hotels

United States
Reviewed 28 October 2012

CONS: Ridiculous 11 pm CURFEW, Lousy service, overcharge for EVERYthing, mediocre breakfast, dirty rooms, ugly views, endless stairs

Pro: relatively inexpensive (if you actually get to sleep there).

Conclusion: DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME AND MONEY HERE!!

I was looking forward to my last night in Myanmar, after having spent some lovely time in hostels across Mandalay, Bagan, and Inle Lake. However, White House Hotel completely RUINED my last night in Yangon and left me with a bad taste as I left the country.

Ridiculous CURFEW:
Apparently they have a policy which was NOT BROUGHT TO MY ATTENTION, that the hotel closes at 11 pm. Having traveled extensively across SE Asia and the world, I know hotels will close their doors at a certain time, but they always provide a way for the guest to enter after hours. NOT THE CASE HERE! After a jolly time out with some of my Yangon friends, I returned to White House to find the gate locked and my key ineffective. I knocked on the gate and had my friends call the hotel for about 10 long minutes before one of the front desk folks finally came and opened the door behind the gate. I showed him my room key and explained that I was a guest here only to have him grab my key, shout at me that the hotel closes at 11 pm and that I had to come back at 5 am when the hotel "reopened", and then slam the door back in my face. My friends and I were in total shock that he would open the door to NOT let me in, a paying guest! I was fortunate that my friends lived nearby and could put me up for the night, but I just think about what would have happened, a single female, had I taken a taxi on my own to return to the hotel that night and been shut out so ungraciously! I would have had to sleep on the street or something! This is COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE.

Lousy Service:
Unlike every other place I've stayed at in Myanmar, they made me pay for the room upfront. Instead of smiles and welcomes, the front desk folks had sour looks on their faces and had me fill out all the paperwork to register (at every other hotel, the staff did this). I also had to specially request that they bring my bags up the stairs to my room for me (this was automatically done elsewhere). The wifi also does NOT work in the rooms, only in the lobby and rooftop.

Overcharging:
When I asked about changing money they offered me a rate of 800 Kyat to $1 USD, when the real rate was about 850:1 and you could even get 900:1 on the streets. Cabs to airport they were charging 7000 Kyats, when you could get it on your own for 5000-6000 Kyats. Local phone calls they charged 500 Kyat for whereas it was a free service everywhere else I've stayed.

Mediocre Breakfast:
Don't know what everyone is raving about, but I've had MUCH better breakfasts elsewhere. There was quite a few to choose from but nothing was particularly tasty, and it definitely does NOT warrant this reputation.

Dirty Rooms:
The sheets were stained, no slippers were provided in the bathrooms (again, this was provided EVERYWHERE else I've stayed), no windows, dingy floors... need I go on?

Ugly Views and Endless Stairs:
If you walk up 8+ flights of stairs you'll reach a dingy rooftop where you get some views of the city through small openings here and there... nothing to brag home about.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Mirageywu
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 23 October 2012

This was our first stop of our 2.5 month Asia trip, and we were fairly excited about it. The staff were very pleasant and accomodating. We stayed here on two separate occasions (coming into Yangon, and then again after going to Bagan and Inle). The first time we came, we splurged for the more expensive room ($11 each and there were 3 of us). We had our own bathroom, fantastic views, and a fan. It was honestly perfect and we were so excited to be in Myanmar. The breakfast: best free breakfast buffet that we encountered all trip. Such an amazing spread, you can honestly sit there for hours. The White House has an awesome rooftop area that allows you to hang out and enjoy the view of the Shwedagon Pagoda. The next time we stayed at the White House (about one week later), we were a little less carefree with our money. Myanmar is not cheap, and we literally had to go to the police in Bagan and have them exchange our home currency on the black market because we didn't bring enough cash with us.. but that's besides the point. Our second stay at The White House was far less glamourous. We convinced the man behind the desk to give us a room at $7USD/night (the cheapest they had was $8). This room had no window, and in damp-damp Yangon, this is not ok. We had one fan for three of us, and because our beds were separated, it was oscillating at all times. To be blunt, it was a sauna, and we spent as little time as possible in our rooms. We still loved the place, however. The rooftop area really makes it, and the breakfast, once again, is unbeatable. Just make sure you get a room with a window, and you'll be more than ok.

Room Tip: Stay on a floor that's higher up with a window. There are two sets of stairs, don't stay in...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends