“eh... you could do worse”
Review of New Aye Yar Hotel

New Aye Yar Hotel
Ranked #113 of 166 Yangon (Rangoon) B&B and Inns
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“eh... you could do worse”
Reviewed 25 January 2013

Your typical room for the Southeast Asia travelers out there. The location was good and it had free wifi along with satellite TV. A fire-breathing demon in the fridge screamed "Zuul" at me when I opened it, so I never used it. The shower towels had some washed out stains on them but I just found the clean parts, and pat, pat, patted my way to dryness. I payed around 70 dollars which is way overpriced (found better values later nearby) but supply/demand is largely to blame. My biggest problem was communication with the front desk. Some would randomly say I had to pay more money, and others wouldn't. It was literally night and day (shift). I still have no idea what this was about but fortunately I never was "taxed". I found Myanmar people to be extremely friendly and I was rarely accosted for anything. A very small few seemed to think that foreigners have trouble walking with the heaps of dollars and euros crammed in their pockets. As far as I could tell, maybe the night staff of this hotel had this confused with my Myanmar beer stumble.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Gho88
NewAyeYar, Manager at New Aye Yar Hotel, responded to this review, 30 March 2013
Thank you for your comments and I'm glad your stay at our hotel was mostly enjoyable. I apologize for the confusion at the front desk. Our hotel came under new management in February and hopefully our staff is better trained now and we can address situations such as yours much better now.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Singapore
Reviewed 28 December 2012

We stayed as part of a group doing charity work, at the start of our journey around Myanmar and again at the end. This was the worst hotel of the trip, because:
- the front desk claimed that we had no booking and put us in an awful internal room with no windows, upon complaint they found a barely tolerable room with a window facing another building;
- the booking for every member of the group was wrong, either no name or wrong arrival day or departure day;
- fairly clean rooms but absolutely filthy bathrooms (with dirt pouring out of gunked-up outlets); and
- poor breakfasts.
The only saving grace was working Internet, very helpful porters and good food in a sparkling clean unrelated restaurant 3 doors to the right as you walk out.
Although Yangon is exceptionally busy with the world's sudden interest in Myanmar, this hotel had rooms available even with their messed-up booking records. There is a reason: you would be better off staying somewhere else, and people do!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank MMSCPSYH
We are very sorry about your experience in December. Please know that the hotel is under new management now. We have a new reservation system in place that should prevent the booking issue that your group experienced in the future. If you find yourself back in Yangon, please give us an opportunity to make up for your bad experience.

Travellers are raving about these Yangon (Rangoon) hotels

Reviewed 30 October 2012

Hotel prices are said to have skyrocketed with the impending easing of international sanctions and big increase in foreign tourists. I believe it after searching for Yangon hotels. The room was overpriced by outside standards, but still the most reasonable that I could find on short notice. I ended up with a suite on the 10th floor. Fine view of the neighborhood, good wi fi and TV, but outdated plumbing fixtures. The suite had luxurious dark hardwood plank floors and enough extra space to hold a ping pong table -- in other words, more room than I needed. Housekeeping was irregular, and then a team of three would show up to clean in perfunctory style. It was a reminder to me how the country has been isolated for decades and is a generation behind its neighbors in opening up to tourism, for better or worse.

The room price included a buffet breakfast -- uninspired but filling, and there aren't many alternatives in the immediate neighborhood. There's an Internet cafe in the lobby. Reception staff were very friendly and helpful with directions on how to get to places around the city. When I departed for the airport, I left my camera bag in the lobby. I called the hotel from the airport and asked them to send the bag to me with a taxi and they did promptly, even providing a receipt for me to sign to confirm that the taxi driver had in fact delivered it to me.

Room Tip: Rooms near the top have a good view almost to the river.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
Zurich
Reviewed 12 August 2012

The rooms are index wonderful with a rare sight on Yangoon River, but the room and bathroom were dirty, although I asked them to clean it again. During the second night we discovered a rat in our room, which ate bits of the underwear. Service took 45 minutes to come. No excuse, no recompensation.

Breakfast buffet was dirty as well with dirty cups and ants walking between spoons, plates and butter. No place to recommend, what a pity since the rooms are really good.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank green_Tibet
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 28 July 2012

We disgustedly left another Hotel who was ripping us $95/nite for a tiny crap room and a local guy took us to the New Aye Yar. After our earlier experience we were overjoyed to get a room 3 x bigger, half the price ($45/nite) and with WiFi in the room.

The place is old and tired so don't expect gleaming surfaces. There is some peeling paint and imperfection but it is a good travellers Hotel and OK for a rustic few days for far less than many of the other places that are now trying to ouge unwary travellers due to the business boom. I am well travelled and found it OK.

Hot water, same day laundry service and helpful staff.

It is downtown 2 block back from the river on the same road as the Old Post office, with a few markets and lively streets nearby and 1/2 a block from the Old parliament (the crumbling huge red building where Mr Aung was assisinated and is not all fenced off and sadly rotting).

As said it is not a delux place but acceptable and I would use it again.

Room Tip: Large rooms at the front #01 and #02 were great. A little noisy as windows in Burma are not very sou...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank ScambusterSZ
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 27 July 2012

Hotel quit old and shabby absolute not worth the money you have to pay for.
Even the are now busy with small renovations like painting the wall and change the old
airco for new one. The breakfast in the down stairs restaurant is not much at all and the restaurant is old and not so clean.
There must be better hotels in Yangoon for US$ 50 a day

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ipong
San Francisco
Reviewed 2 February 2012

I enjoyed my stay at this hotel. The staff were very sweet, friendly, and helpful. Maybe the staff is a little shy but they do not see get many tourists in Burma. Maybe there were a couple of other tourists in this hotel. It is a grand old place, very nice decor in the lobby. They have their own generator so if the power goes out in the city (which it does almost every day for an hour or so) you hear the hotel's generator kick in. Breakfast is basic buffet but it's coffee & tea are poor. Just ask them to make you some proper coffee and they will no problem. (I didn't realize this until my last day.)

I want to go back to Burma. When I do, I will stay there again. The neighborhood is less touristy. All the residents in those streets are super friendly and hospitable. All you need to do is smile :)

Room Tip: Ask them to make you coffee at the bar in the breakfast-restaurant.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled solo