“A little tired but not out of breath = excellent for Yangon”
Review of New Aye Yar Hotel

New Aye Yar Hotel
Ranked #111 of 169 Yangon (Rangoon) B&B and Inns
Toronto, Canada
“A little tired but not out of breath = excellent for Yangon”
Reviewed 28 February 2014

When planning our trip to Yangon we looked at the various hotels on offer and compared their location,facilities and price. After some some thought we made reservations at the New Ayar Hotel. I’m glad we did. At a price point this February 2014 of 1700 Thai baht (55. Canadian)
for a standard and 2300 Baht (80. Canadian) for a suite. We chose the suite. Both rooms were advertized at 55% off and came with a breakfast buffet.The New Ayar Hotel is located right downtown a few blocks from the must see Sule Pagoda and many of the old colonial buildings that Yangon has become famous for. With Tourism just starting up in Myanmar the infrastructure and competition hasn’t yet gelled so expect to pay a little more than Bangkok for a room. That said our arrival was a most pleasant experience. The doors were opened for us and the reception attendents paused in their service to other customers with a request for us to sit down in their small but organized lobby. A moment later we were presented with two glasses of juice.Sometimes it’s the small trinkets of gratitude that stand out in ones mind.
Reception went smoothly and we were presented with our room keys # 702. From previous reviews (thanks Tripadvisors) we knew that the best views are on floors six and above.The suite was large and clean with a sitting area adjacent to the duvet covered kingsized bed. A writing desk was positioned beside the bed and a few feet from the washroom. Our room was equipped with a large but quiet remote controlled ceiling air conditioner. A cabinet with a 42” flat screened tv was in front of our sitting area. The satellite reception included all of the usual favorites from Europe and the USA. We mostly chose to watch english feeds of CNN and DW. Besides the TV was a fruit tray, a stand alone electric kettle, packets of tea, plates, a knife, fork and two cups and saucers. All good so far. We tried the bed. Although the mattress was not as thick as what we have become used to in Canada it reminded us of many that are in use in Europe. Very firm and for us very comfortable.The duvet made a nice touch. Beside the bed was the writing table. We chose to put all of our possessions in and on this. The washroom was medium sized with two disposable toothbrushes, toothpaste, a razor, shaving cream a packet of Q-tips, soap, shampoo, shower gel and cap. I was starting to really like this place. From time to time we heard noise from the hallway but all in all not a bother. The views from the seventh floor are of the waterfront or the city. Ours was the city with Shwedagon Pagoda visible in the background. The elevators are older and a little slow but never let us down with malfunction.
A few of the reviews we have seen here dismissed the breakfast buffet as wanting. We felt nothing of the sort. While Ham and Bacon were not on the table almost everything else from a European,American and Asian breakfast buffet was.
So many I’m sure to leave some out. I saw, Coffee, Tea, a chef enabled egg station,
selection of fruit, croissants, sweet rolls, french stick, white and whole wheat bread, butter, jam, Yogurt, cereal, milk. Steamers with rice congee, chicken curry, boiled sweet potatoes, corn on the cob fried noodles, fried rice, stir fried vegetables with mushroom and a tossed salad with two types of dressing.
From some of the reviews I was expecting a motel six continental breakfast. Boy was I surprised. The staff in this hotel worked very hard to please my wife and I on our one night stay. I must say it worked. We both left rested and content. Well done New Ayar Hotel. Thanks again.

Room Tip: Arrive clean and well presented with a smile. It goes along way in Yangon. Should you receive room...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank christopherwice

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

I stayed at Yangon for 2 night with my family in this hotel. The location is good but nothing else. The room and the goods are old. The air conditioning and hair dryer is broken while my stay. The breakfast is ok but the space of dining room is quite small. In brief it is an unlovely experience in Yangon.

Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Chi-Lu C
Watsonville, California
Reviewed 31 January 2014

The hotel is good considering it is in a third world country. Some may complain about the price, which is high when compared to cities such as Bangkok. But I feel it is not overpriced when compared to other hotels in the area. They would all be considered overpriced. We had a larger deluxe room which had two windows that faced the street and one that faced the building next to it. The room was clean and kept that way during our stay. Everything worked but one outlet next to the bed, not a problem. The bathroom was fine, you can tell they have done some work to try to make it better. There was one light in the middle of the bathroom which made it a little dark around the mirror. The water heater sticks out below the ceiling and a couple of times water leaked out of the pressure valve and on to the counter, I just turned on the water to relieve the pressure and it stopped dripping. The ac in the room worked well but would drip water on to the wood floor if it was set at the temp we liked so I just moved the trash can over to catch the water. The mattress is on the frim side. There was a refridgarator in the room that worked fine. A tv that got english stations and two free bottles of water in the room each day. There are nicer places but the are out of the town and you would need totake a taxi if you wanted to go to town. From the hotel we walked to the Strand hotel, Bogyoke Market, and the train station. It was a good place to stay for the downtown area.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Like2TravelTexas
Bowie, Maryland
Reviewed 28 January 2014 via mobile

Ok first of the hotel is in the downtown area, so easy walk to several restaurants. The hotel itself could use some renovations. But for the price it was just fine. I thought the hotel staff were helpful and very accommodating. Definitely would stay there again.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank ChelleyD
Elanora, Australia
Reviewed 22 January 2014

whilst staff are, as is usual with Myanmar people, very helpful, hotel is dated and bathroom not good . Mirror has lots of marks, shower not strong, and bath needs resealing Although adequate for $85 a night expected more.Decor smells of smoke even on non smoking floor. AS I say Adequate.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank williamsps18
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 2 January 2014 via mobile

The New Aye Yar has little more to offert han its location. Located quite conviniently, its rooms are extremely basic. The hotel is not particularly clean, ceilings are in bad condition (I had been there twice and both rooms had the bathroom ceiling about to fall). The glasses have barely been ever cleansed and the A/C (which works fine) is noisy. The place is humid and hot, even in december.
All that said, bed linens are clean and staff is really nice. I can't imagine staying more than 1 or 2 nights but if you need a convenient location for a short stay and are not very demanding inrterms of comodity, this will suit. Have moderate to low expectations for a 3 star and you'll be ok.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Caloundra
Reviewed 6 December 2013

The façade of this hotel looks good and is deceiving. I booked this on the net for one night pre and post touring. On arriving, I asked for a "big bed" due to my height and they obliged and the room was fine. I used room service which is essentially the delivery of food from the ground floor restaurant which is independently run - so you need to pay separately. An early morning start next morning led to a breakfast box being presented on departure. A nice touch but awful food.
On my return after touring I was given a terrible room. It had painted over windows and if you opened them all you saw was the concrete building next door a few feet away. Late at night there seemed to be a constant heavy running of water from next door building which kept me awake. I politely asked for a room change after they came and inspected the room. They agreed it was noisy but had no other rooms available. After a further hour of sleeplessness, I packed my bags and went downstairs to check out and find another hotel. All of a sudden another room was free and I moved. This was very poor service.
I know Yangon is not known for quality hotels but this was terrible. Surely there is better elsewhere This is a classic case of "Location is not Everything"

Room Tip: If possible check your room first and do not take one where the windows are blacked out
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo