“Airport Location”
Review of Hotel Yangon

Hotel Yangon
Ranked #71 of 159 Hotels in Yangon (Rangoon)
Reviewed 4 May 2013

Have stayed at this hotel several times and it is close, 10min, from the airport. Lobby is good and clean, buffet breakfast is good but get busy, they make omelets, busy intersection, their is a shopping center within 4-5 min walk, and a couple of good local eateries right across the street. This hotel is basic with no frills even though it looks that way from the inside. Hotel staff is friendly and accomodating. If you are going to the Pagoda or downtown, it is a good 20-30 min taxi fare and the taxi's are not in good shape.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that does not face the intersection due to the noise.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank William W

Reviewed 27 April 2013

At the start of the holiday the first night in the Yangon Hotel we were given a room on the 9th floor. I was surprised at the décor of this room it had lots of black mould on the walls and some things did not work. The room was very smelly and was obviously a smoker’s room. Also it seemed that some staff gathered in the main hall outside our room till late chatting, smoking & fdrinking which was not good I thought. We did not complain at this, don’t usually unless it’s very bad anyway!!

On the return visit to the Yangon Hotel were given a room on the 6th floor which was cleaner I must say. We were aware that the outside of the hotel was being painted and that the room next to us was being sued by the painters and staff during this redecoration. There was a smell of paint but not over powerful. Unfortunately I noticed that the smoke detector in our room was illuminated. At this point I should tell you that my earlier job was a director at a large fire & security company where I also fulfilled the job as Technical director so I am familiar with security and fire alarms. The smoke detector type in the room was a type I am also familiar with. As it was illuminated this meant that at some point it had been activated and the main control panel was silenced but not reset, some fire panels would allow the zone for the detector to be isolated thus preventing any further nuisance activations on that zone being annunciated at the panel. I was concerned about this as potentially the whole 6th floor may have been isolated.

When we went up to the top floor for dinner, as previously advised was the location for the restaurant, we were told that it was a private function and that we needed to go to the ground floor!! We went to the ground floor and I took the opportunity to discuss the fire alarm with the guy on the front desk. He seemed pretty dismissive about it and said that it was fine. When I told him that I was an engineer he changed his approach and said he would deal with it. I then saw him tell a guy in a dark suit about it who then walked off in a dismissive way with one hand up in the air. I asked the first guy that I spoke with if the guy in the dark suit was a manager and he confirmed that he was and that the manager was happy. I told him I WAS NOT happy with their attitude to the safety of their guest.

Nothing further was said to me about this either later that evening or the next morning and nor was the smoke detector ever reset!! did not sleep too well that night.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank chris d
Reviewed 11 March 2013

The main plus for this hotel is that it is convenient for the airport; the converse is that it is a long way from the vibrant centre of Yangon. The room was fine if lacking character. No drawers but plenty of space. The air-conditioning worked well and not too noisily. The breakfast was good - both the Burmese and European options but the packed breakfast the day of our early transfer was revolting.

Room Tip: the hotel is a big L at a major crossroads: rooms facing the courtyard must be preferable.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Anne I
Reviewed 20 February 2013

The hotels principal selling feature is that it is only 10 minutes from the airport. We had an early flight and needed to be at the airport at 6am so its location was perfect for us.

The rooms are very basic, though surprisingly did have a roomsafe. The furnishings were tired and the room lighting barely enough to read by. The bathroom was a good size and the shower probably had the best pressure of any hotel (including 5 star) that we stayed in Myanmar! We would not have wanted to spend any longer there - particularly as the air conditioning did not really work and the room never got below 25 deg. all night, so sleeping was spasmodic at best.

Staff were very helpful and even the Manager came to help when we could not get the air conditioning to work.

We did not eat in the hotel but went to the Golden Duck across the road as recommended by our guide. Needed courage to cross the busy road but the restaurant was packed with locals - well over 100 of them. But we had a great meal wihch costs us only US$21 all in including drinks!

Room Tip: A room at the back away from the busy road will be quieter
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 February 2013

It was clean and friendly, but reminded me of a Bucharest hotel circa 1960; pretty grim and miles from the middle of the city. We only ended up there because we booked at the last moment and hotels in Rangoon are very full.

Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank GeorgiaCT
Reviewed 27 January 2013

I stayed in Hotel Yangon for 1 night and I didn't like it. The lobby is not reflective of the hotel rooms. The corridors at the upper floors were dark, not well lit. On the room itself, it was clean and big - separate hall area and bedrooom, but the lacks proper lighting - it was a bit dark. The second issue I have was aircon - it was cool but way too dry and I had an uncomfortable time breathing, that was probably the main reason why I did not enjoy my stay. Wifi was detectable but not useable. Saving grace was its good breakfast spread as there was a lot more variety.

Hotel Yangon needs to upgrade itself in order to stand out from the newer hotels.

Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank SipsTea
Reviewed 25 January 2013

Big formerly posh hotel tower, now badly in need of maintenance, leaky showers and pipes, mildew, tatty carpet, missing light bulbs etc. Staff extremely nice and helpful and good location for transits close to the airport. In house restaurant surprisingly good for both breakfast and dinner. Internet WiFi almost unusable. Prices skyrocketing like everything else in Yangon, paid 140$ per night. Word of warning: bathroom door handles have a push button lock on the inside so it's easy to lock yourself out of your own bathroom if you close the door from the outside. A bit traumatic after an evening of beer drinking. Luckily all rooms have balconies... ;-)

Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business