“decent expensive food in beautiful environment”

Mandalay Restaurant at Belmond Governor's Residence
Price range: US$7 - US$52
Cuisines: Asian, European
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Enjoy the exotic, local cuisine of Myanmar, with its subtly blended spice, or select from a wide variety of European fine-dining specialties. Mandalay Restaurant at Belmond Governor's Residence benefits from a romantic location, surrounded by tropical gardens and lotus ponds. Dishes are created with carefully selected local and seasonal quality products and also with love, enthusiasm and passion.
Brussels, Belgium
“decent expensive food in beautiful environment”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

we felt the rest of the hotel wasn't that beautiful. food good, but too expensive for that level - better go to le planteur

Visited March 2014

• Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Hong Kong
“Perfect place for a relaxing lunch”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

The setup is very nice with tables overseeing the pool and the garden. The service is perfect and even the prices are ok for this type of restaurant. The food was hit and miss, the local specialties may not be of everyone's taste !

Visited May 2014
1 Thank Rplnf
“Ambiance is amazing. Food is nice but not great.”
Reviewed 11 June 2014

As the title says, the ambiance of the Governor's Residence is amazing. Staff were also very excellent.

I had the Chicken BLT and it was very nice. It's expensive for Yangon (between $15-20 for a main course lunch) but all the nicer places have higher prices so that's not surprising.

If you want a very nice setting for a meal then come here, especially if you feel like western food. If, however, you're looking for really amazing western food, I'm sure there is better to be found elsewhere in Yangon.

• Visited May 2014
Hong Kong, China
“Incredible location, amazing food”
Reviewed 3 June 2014

The best place to have dinner in Yangon in my opinion, a very special place. Fantastic food and lovely staff. The buffet in the upstairs restaurant is the best place to eat.

Visited June 2014
Singapore
“Impressed with ambience but food was ok only!”
Reviewed 1 June 2014

When my brother in law told me he was bringing me to The Governor's Residence for dinner, I was elated! I read so many rave reviews on Trip Advisor that I knew I would be very lucky if I really did get to try it!

I was already impressed just driving through and when we arrived at the front porch, I was telling myself how lucky I was! :)

It is a colonial house and there are a lot of greenery and the ambience was superb. The service staff spoke were very polite and attentive and spoke good english. My BIL ordered a raw steak and I had the pork chops. The steak came well done and was tough like a rubber band. He has so much trouble cutting the steak. The pork chops were really good but I find the sauce dribbled on it too salty. Love the bread too!!

We also had a bottle of local moscato; EXPENSIVE.

All-in-all, come if you are celebrating a special occasion or bringing overseas guests for the ambience but I guess I was a bit disappointed with the food.

• Visited May 2014