“Excellent stay”

Chan Myae Guesthouse
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Excellent stay”
Reviewed 10 March 2014 via mobile

I had the chance to stay in both the dorm ($14 a night) and a double room with ensuite ($30) and both were very positive experiences. Whilst the price seems high, put in the context of prices in Yangon more generally, I thought it was good value for money.

The location of the guesthouse is excellent, right in the centre of downtown Yangon. For anyone with reasonable fitness, the stairs are no problem at all, but if you have walking problems, the hike up could well be too much.

The staff are super friendly and really accommodating. I arrived at 5.30am having booked a double for me and a friend for 2 nights, unfortunately, he was held up by a day and so the guy on reception let me take a dorm for that first night, saving me from having to pay for a double. Furthermore, I got to go to my dorm bed at 5.30am without paying any extra cost.

The dorm bed was really clean with a private curtain, light and plug socket. Also, each bed had private aircon which might be a little bit excessive! The shared bathroom was lovely and clean with hot, good pressure showers and free shampoo and shower gel. There was also a small balcony to sit out on and watch city life go by and somewhere (reasonably) secure to store luggage. Importantly, the dorm was really quiet after 9pm and I had a great, uninterrupted night's sleep. The communal living space was pleasant and the wifi some of the best we found in cheaper accommodation in the country. Staff were also great at helping to organise buses, transfers and taxis.

The double room was again, clean and pleasant. The room came with a fridge, aircon and ensuite, although the shower was not as good pressure as the shared dorm ones. There was no outdoor window but this wasn't an issue. The double room cost $1 more each per person than a dorm bed, but since we didn't actually require a double bed, I would have preferred to stay the extra night in the dorm again (just for the shower!) Beds in both were fairly comfortable, if not a bit hard, but they seemed average by Asian standards.

Included in the price for dorm and private was a free breakfast which changed daily but generally included tea or coffee, fruit (usually bananas), orange juice and then a main. For the two breakfasts I had a tomato and onion omelet with sweet toastie on the first day and a rice- based dish on the second day. The food was really good - the best breakfast I had at a guesthouse in the country that was included in the price.

Overall, a great little guesthouse that I'd recommend for the backpacker seeking a little more comfort and for couples travelling together. There are certainly cheaper in Yangon (Mahabandoola Guesthouse), but you also certainly get what you pay for! The only point I'd stress is that there is no lift, so if you suffer from walking difficulties, trekking to the 8th floor might be a bit too much!

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 4 March 2014

After being away from home for almost two years, it is nice to come to places like this - a place where you feel welcomed and at home. They have a small common area with good Wifi-connection (for Myanmar at least) and they serve you cold water when you come back in after a long, hot day. I stayed in the dorm, which has 30 beds, but it was not a problem at all - every bed has curtains, light and sockets for electrical appliances. There are also designated areas for your bags, where your bag also can be locked with a wire. Clean showers with hot water and clean toilets. Friendly staff, although the boys, mainly due to their young age, don't speak much English. Decent free breakfast. If I come back, this is the place I'm going to stay.

Room Tip: If you sleep in the dorms, get a bed in the middle - not too close to the balcony (there is always s...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank margrkn
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 4 March 2014

I did not end up staying here because I need to change my bus schedule from Inle but they are friendly the moment I arrived in Yangon..they allowed me to use the facilities like shower and charge my phone.. my friend ended up staying here and I did hear any complains from him..very good location .. walk from the sule pagoda and the downtown area...

Room Tip: the dorm is a like huge area with the beds but they each have curtains
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank czharina
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 23 February 2014

First of all: the staff is super friendly, the service is very good. However, rooms are way too expensive. But this is a general problem in Myanmar right now in 2014: all hotels are over priced. If you are going here, make sure to get a room with a window. Otherwise your room might smell funny.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Percy_Gothein
Taipei, Taiwan
Reviewed 19 February 2014

We only stay one night over there when we arrive to Yangon. The dorm is simple but ok, and the public bath rooms and toilets are very clean and nice. After we go around Myanmar and back to Yangon by night bus. We back to Chan Myae GH but not for check-in because our flight is at same day afternoon. The owner give us a big convenient like at home, so we store our backpacks and take shower over there that make us refresh after took a night bus.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Europe
Reviewed 17 February 2014

I m a little thorn about this review.. I stayed at chan myay for over 3 weeks due to work in Yangon, and got to see more of the guesthouse than most short time stayers. My first impression was great. Good location, friendly staff and many rooms. But as we were staying a while we asked to change from a room without bathroom to one with bath inside. The reseptionists are many, and they forgot to tell each other so it was a mix up. We basically had to wait day after day. When we finally got the new room we were told we had to move after 2 days because someone else had reserved it! I refused this as we had asked for this specific room long time ago, and they also admitted this was their mistake. But as a solution they then asked us to move to a more expensive room (with balcony) and pay more! When they did the mistake!!
No matter how cute these youngsters might be at first, i find that to be quite rude as we were not interested in paying more money when they made a mistake. They ended up convinsing the other couple to take this room in the end..

Options are many, and im sure most travellers will be happy with this place. Dorms are large, but the quality of other rooms vary both in size and breathable air. Many rooms have their aircon going straight out to the coridor, giving no fresh air to the room. We stayed in 3-4 different double rooms, and some were large and nice while others were unbareable where we got headache from the bad circulation of air.

As for prices the current prices in february 2014 is ;

Dorm: 14 USD
Single - not sure
Double without bathroom- 26 USD
Double without bathroom WITH window 28 USD
Double with bathroom - 30 usd.

We stayed most of the time in a double with share bathroom and this was quite nice. There is a lovely elder man cleaning the common area every day. Yes, the sheets might have spots. But they are clean. After all- this is Myanmar. The poorest country in south east asia. So dont expect Western standars..

It is also worth noting that many visitors had their clothes missing after using the laundry at the guesthouse, myself included. I got it back when i asked at the reception. But it seems quite chaotic. That is the sort of things you notice when you stay long and always hear someone angry because they are missing clothes!

I also have mixed feelings regarding the owner.. He just sits in the reception area telling his workers what to do. This would be ok if it didnt seem like he is very strict, not bringing any good vibe to the place. Again, you wouldnt notice at first hand. He also has this ritual of giving all leaving guests a small nametag for their luggage. Then he happily tells you "thank you for giving me your money" to everyone. All the time. I guess i personally just didnt like his attitude.

Now i mig sound very negative. Im really not. I just want to add up the pros and cons, as i had a long time stay here. in general it is a clean and fresh place. And good location. I also like the fact that you can order simple meals in the reception (fried rice etc.) which is brought to the hotel. Nothing exciting, but good if you are too tired to search for a new place to eat.
I probably would come here again

Room Tip: Askt o see a few rooms! Also booking in advace is a must, it is a popular place.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mangodays m
Zurich
Reviewed 17 February 2014

Exellent location in downtown Yangon. Good value for money!! Staff is real friendly and very helpful.
The owner U Soe does everything to make you enjoy your stay. Any suggestion you give him, he'll fix the problem in no time!
Stayed already a few times in his place and mostly got a room with a window in front (ask for it if you care for daylight). Best superior room Nr. 5 with private balcony.
Can only recommend it.