“Great dining experience in Yangon”
Review of Shwe Sa Bwe

Shwe Sa Bwe
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Sydney
“Great dining experience in Yangon”
Reviewed 2 March 2014

If you're tired of roadside food for 300 kyat, and want a sophisticated dining experience with real cheese and real wine and real crusty bread (oh, the glory!) for under thirty dollars, then this is for you. The food is very good - I wouldn't say it's actually cordon bleu, but it's excellent for Myanmar. The ambience is flawless (although it could do with more air circulation indoors) and the service is very good.

Definitely worth making the 4000-kyat taxi journey out here to support the enterprise.

It's a good idea to call and make a reservation, and also have your hotel write down the restaurant name and address and phone number in Burmese so that your driver knows where to go.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Adelaide
“Jeckyl and Hyde”
Reviewed 28 February 2014

I ate at this restaurant 2 times in the space of 4 days and had completely contrasting experiences.

The setting is amazing, and what the restaurant stands for is even more amazing. It has been set up as a school for people who could otherwise not afford to go through hospitality training. So therefore it is worth eating there purely to support such a worthy cause. Which brings us to the food...

The first night I made the mistake of ordering a chicken starter followed by a veal main. The veal had a very strong game flavor that was hard to deal with. Others complained of the same. I swore not to return.

Turns out we had a business dinner there 4 nights later and I am very glad we returned. The food was sensational and left us wanting more. Great pasta and even better prawns. I am at a loss to explain such a vast contrast. I will have to go back a third time to be sure.

2 Thank Benny_Doda
Houston, Texas
“Not as good as we expected”
Reviewed 25 February 2014

Based on the high reviews in Trip Advisor, my wife and I tried this restaurant. We may have hit an off night, plus there was a group of about 15 people that may have disrupted their normal flow. We found the service to be slow and the food mediocre. The atmosphere in the garden is very nice (although throughout the meal, a monk in a nearby pagoda was chanting over a loudspeaker - hopefully this is not a nightly event). As it is a training school for local aspiring chefs, I would go again before I write it off. It did feel good to be contributing to the education of local people.

Bangkok, Thailand
“Great enterprise!”
Reviewed 21 February 2014

This well-hidden jewel offers haute cuisine prepared by talented local students to the highest of international standards. Good food with a great conscience! There is practically no equal in the whole of Yangon - truly great value for the quality of food on offer. I can't wait to go back.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank Foodieholic1
Yangon (Rangoon), Myanmar
“Perfect Yangon date night.”
Reviewed 8 February 2014

Great food, great setting, great service, great cause. For a nice date night in Yangon without breaking the bank, Shwe Sa Bwe is our restaurant of choice.

Visited January 2014