“Best pork chops in town” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Orzo Italian Restaurant

Orzo Italian Restaurant
Ranked #127 of 698 Restaurants in Yangon (Rangoon)
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Singapore
“Best pork chops in town”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2013

Orzo has a most unpromising location in the basement of the Sedona Hotel, looking out on the pool. The restaurant has a clattery ochre tiling on the floor which makes it loud and rather impersonal. However, the food every time I have eaten there has been excellent. Forget the ambiance and focus on the food!

On this trip I had the pork chops in a a tomato and black olive sauce and the chef had prepared the dish to perfection - the meat was succulent, the sauce packed with intense and contrasting flavours and the diamond of polenta which accompanied it was just right. One friend had the generous portion of white fleshed butter fish, which was also cooked to perfection in a tomato sauce, and the other had the sea bass, which was an enormous chunk of fish, albeit in a rather strange sauce (less recommended).

The minestrone to to start was very green in the Ligurian style with spinach, basil and beans, and I had the beef carpaccio, which was excellent, with razor thin slices of marbled red meat topped with salty parmesan slivers and crisp arugula. It was a very good meal and we accompanied it with a bottle of Prosecco, which at $55 was very reasonable by Yangon standards. There were little bottles of olive oil and balsamic on every table, and an array of grappa and liqueurs to excite even the most jaded palette. I'd go back again - even if I wasn't staying at the Sedona. L'Opera has much better atmosphere, but Orzo rivals it in terms of the cuisine and is a lot easier to get to.

• Visited April 2013

Yangon
“Cockroach in my Seafood Soup & Not Even A Simple Sorry”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2013

We went to Orzo on my birthday's eve to have some Italian Food with my colleagues. There wasn't much choice for wines. I ordered Seafood Soup and Some Beef. The soup came, taste was okay. I'm a pure soup lover and I usually do not eat much from a soup but the prawns tasted good, so I ate the prawns. I finished the soup and then as I went through the veggies to see if there were any more prawns and found a Cockroach!!!
I'm not much of a complainer and also it was my birthday eve, I stayed calm called the waiter, showed the Cockroach and passed him the plate. He took the plate away. He came back but didn't mention anything so I asked him and he said he showed it to the Chef. I accepted.
We spent quite some time there because my colleagues ordered some takeaway (I think we stayed a minimum of one and a half hours after the incident). I thought the Chef or the Manager will come by and apologize or do something. To our amusement, no one bothered even to ask.
I still stayed calm, as we asked for the bill, I was quite certain at least my meals will be offered complimentary. No sir! We could only shake our heads and amusement and as we left, no one even cared, even for a thank you.
I thought for quite sometime whether to write a review or not but this was unacceptable. I could have even settled for a simple sorry from the Chef or the Manager, even for a Cockroach in the soup but no one bothered. For a fine dining outlet in a five star hotel, this is a major fail.
Most people would have gotten angry, some even sick, make a load out of this, put it up to the ministry and might even sue for this but my nature accepted it kept calm and they just needed to follow their protocols. I'm a very simple and calm guy but they managed to make me really angry.
I will never be setting my foot in Orzo again and will surely not be recommending anyone reading this review (their beef was also awful anyways).
So for anyone that wishes to have Italian Food in Yangon, go to L'Opera (and I do not know the owner). They've just never disappointed me up to this date and that is probably the only other Italian Diner around in Yangon (forgive me if I'm wrong).
KTO

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Kyaw Thu O
Kihei, Hawaii
“25% to 85%”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2012

we visited the Sedona Hotel after hearing they accept credit cards. well they do but only for guests staying 3 nights minimium. our intention was to dine here using credit and saving our cash (only $300, we didn't do our homework and brought Thai Baht into the country which nobody takes, so FYI the airport exchanges in US Euro and Singapore dollars only). your atm card is also no good in Myanmar. Ok lesson learned for the price of a taxi r/t under 10 dollars from our hotel.
thinking of dining somewhere else but it was storming tonight. looking at two restaraunts side by side we picked Italian. seated easily they were only a quarter full tonight. bread sticks came out with some awesome tappenade. the breadsticks were day old at least though and so was the bread basket that followed. still this tappenade was really good so we kept having at it. oil, vineger, salt and pepper on the table as well but didn't seem to be quality oil or maybe going rancid.
we grabbed a house salad and a Caesar Salad made tableside. forget about these two starters trust me. house was booo and the Caesar's came with a fried soft shell crab on top. being made tableside I thought it would win. no no no and this soft shell crab doesn't taste well with it and with all the stale bread some good croutons should be made. still it was much better then the house salad. again look for other appetizers here.
worried how dinner would go after the best item being the tapenade that comes free we were still optimistic. first my lady ordered the tuna tar tar, it came out a minute before my dish so I got my fork into before tatsting my dish. definitely recomended if you go for raw items. skillfuly blended it was so refreshing and flavorful. served on a bed of greens, avocado, tomatoes and pickles. ironic this must be the best salad they offer. I chose the fried butterfish with olive, capers and a nice Italian sauce with gnocchi and aspargus partners on the plate. mouth watering the night began to get much better and we started to relax and enjoy.
thinking of giving them a poor to average rating, they really came through in the end and scored very good. with one large beer and some tea, tonights meal was 43,000 Kyat or about 51 dollars. sitting at the picture window by the pool is nice.

• Visited June 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Yangon (Rangoon), Myanmar
“Best Pizza in Yangon”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2012

After travelling the world and living in big cities, we didn’t expect that it would be in Yangon that we had the best hotel restaurant pizza ever. Ordered spicy salami pizza, not only did it taste delicious, but also looked absolutely perfect, super thin crust topped with just right amount of tomato sauce and cheese, very fresh rocket, and the flavor of spicy salami was sensational! The ambiance is relaxing and romantic, though still feeling like home at home, nice music and professional smiley staff, we know this will be THE place we want to visit again and again

• Visited April 2012
1 Thank DaveandLing
Davao
“A last minute decision but well worth a second visit”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2012

My wife and I made a last minute decision to go out for dinner on Saturday Night, due to a mix up earlier in the day when we found ourselves at a loose end. We had both noticed the Orzo Italian Restaurant on a previous visit to Sedona Hotel, but had not ventured downstairs. On Saturday night we wandered in and were pleasantly surprised by the whole experience, suffice to say we will be back again sometime soon.

• Visited January 2012