“Sleepless in Yangon”
Review of M.G.M. Hotel

M.G.M. Hotel
Ranked #93 of 177 Yangon (Rangoon) B&B and Inns
Reviewed 28 February 2013

We stayed here for a few nights at the beginning of February and it was okay if a bit noisy. We were on the 10th floor and you could hear the music from the 2nd floor karaoke bar. At the end of February we stayed another night, again on the 10th floor and discovered that the 11th floor is now a place for loud music and dancing until 2 a.m. Try sleeping through that! Impossible. Maybe the lower floors are a bit quieter.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Moira C

Reviewed 27 February 2013

We stayed in three different rooms in this hotel, and each was pretty gross. All three were run down, extremely dirty, and really not a bargain for your money. The one on the ninth floor was the nicest, but also very loud because of the Karaoke noise that went on late into the night. The other two rooms were on the 5th floor and although they were much quieter, they were just as grimy. The staff do not speak great English, so there is a lot that gets lost in translation.... but they do their best to be helpful. The breakfast is pretty decent, but it had us laid out with violent food poisoning or nearly 48 hours.... so that alone ought to be a good idea of what you're getting yourself into!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank megan-woodruff
Reviewed 26 February 2013

When the taxi pulled up I could see why the previous reviews had made me question my decision to consider value over quality! BUT because I had splashed out the extra USD4 for a suite I was whisked up to the newly refurbished 10th floor and it was one of the better hotel experiences at the end of a long cycling trip through Burma. Nice wet room style bathroom with powerful shower and decent towels. 2 large beds for little old me and fast free wifi. So pay the cost of a beer for an upgrade, ignore the shabby entrance and enter the future zone(in the picture) of the 10th floor

Room Tip: Book a room only on the 10th floor
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank TaddyUk1967
Reviewed 24 February 2013

Compared to other options, a great value. Complimentary water, lockers in the lobby. Stay on the 10th floor -- it's been remodeled and the dinginess of the other floors eliminated. Service was remarkable -- we got our laundry back washed and ironed the same day (once after only three hours). The front desk person phoned hotels for our next destination until we found a great place and booked us in. Really sketchy looking from the outside, and inside as well, except for the top floors, remodelling is scheduled for the whole place. Needs it. Also, can't say enough about the Chinese restaurant in the lobby -- truly great food, generous portions and startling service.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank KayRynerson
Reviewed 18 February 2013

The hotel room was massive. I booked a suite as thought it may be nicer than a standard - but think it just meant 2 double beds and it was right by the lift.

At first glance the bedroom looked passable and relatively clean (wardrobe stunk and fridge was full of mould, but the bed looked fine).

Bathroom was old, broken and filthy, with a random exposed pipe which occasionally gushed someone else's waste water all over the floor?!? Shower only had cold water.

On the last night I awoke to a flood in my room (didn't come from the bathroom! Not sure where it came from) my handbag (money, passport etc.) was submerged in 1/2 a ft of water... So the hair dryer and yellow pages provided came in handy.

At night it was so loud - hotel full of loud drunk people from the karaoke downstairs (a man fell out of the lift when I came back from dinner one evening), there were people hanging around and shouting until about 4am - as a single female traveller - needless to say I didn't sleep, and then banging construction work started early morning above my room.

I didn't try the breakfast as when walking down the steps from the 7th floor (because the lift broke) it looked filthy!

On the plus side - good location, great free wifi in room and very friendly staff who helped arrange onward travel.

Hotels in Yangon are expensive, and it is most certainly a case of you get what you pay for albeit at a higher level compared to the rest of SEA... Do yourself a favour and pay the extra for a good nights sleep in a better hotel.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank fayehago
Reviewed 13 February 2013

We booked this hotel on Agoda, based on the low price and availability. The staff at the front were very friendly and the beds were comfortable. But overall, the atmosphere of the hotel was dark and dreary. The hallways were dark, the breakfast room was in a small, windowless room that was very claustrophobic, and the elevator was bound to break at any moment (we chose to take the stairs each time). The bathrooms are basic, although not as clean as I would like and they lack water pressure.

For simplicity, we stayed here when we arrived in Yangon and the night before our flight departed Yangon. The second time we got rooms with no windows & I was not impressed. I did not sleep well as there was a lot of shuffling through the hallway all night.

Finally, there is a karaoke bar on the 2nd floor, which seemed popular among young locals. However, it made me nervous that there were lots of young, drunk people walking around the floor below me.

It is also somewhat removed from the heart of the city.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 January 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights from January 26 2013. They gave me a room at the 9th floor. When i first got off the taxi and saw the hotel building i was quite concerned since it seemed a bit run down. however, the staff made me feel very welcomed. as soon as i showed them my booking on agoda they gave me a bottle of mineral water and a map and asked me to sit while they sort things out. i arrived around 10am in the morning and they managed to provide a room for no extra charge even though check in time was at 12 noon.

Since i arrived over the weekend, there was a crowd getting into the karaoke at level 1. so if you want to get some sleep over the weekends bring ear plugs as the karaoke can be heard all the way up to level 9.

Internet access was stable and fast. Hot shower was available. The hotel also provide free bottled water. Next to the hotel is the YKKO cafe that serves coffee and is a good place to hang out if you want to relax in a more upmarket cafe.

Access to most of the tourist spots and downtown is about 2 km away and if take taxi, they will normally ask for 2000 kyats. however if you bargain you will can get around 1500 kyats. walking is possible and will take around 20-40 minutes depending on your pace.

about 5 minutes away is one of the largest mall in yangon, the junction maw tin center. there is a supermarket and various food outlets available here.

the facilities of the hotel was really below par compared to the money paid, but the staff and service were really good compared to the other hotel that i stayed in. this was what made the hotel stand out.

Room Tip: The higher the better!
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo