This hotel is not right downtown, as some reviews place it - I would say it feels halfway between town and the airport. One great asset is the lake it sits on and that is surrounded (still) by lots and lots of wild greenery. The land the hotel stands on is huge and this is another asset. You can go for a walk or jog without ever leaving the hotel grounds. Yangon can get a bit stressy with all the traffic, hooting and smells from car exhausts - getting back to the Inya lake hotel feels like another world. Great! I agree with some of the bad reviews that this place has seen better days, but at the same time it also exudes an air of the oldern Burmese days. Teak floors, teak clad elevators, teak furniture - you get a good feel of the 'old Burma'. To expect the hotel to become almost over night all glitz and modern on par with some of its southeast Asian neighbours, is a bit unfair, I feel. Burma has only just sprung up onto the world stage with the ending of a decades long international boycott. Since then much has happened in this previously remote backwater of tourism and business. Suddenly, now, hordes of tourists and businesses enter Burma and seem to expect standards they are used to in neighbouring Thailand (still the main hub for Burma flights). The supply of hotel rooms is far below the level of demand for them. Just two years ago, no one went to Burma except a very dedicated few, who ignored the boycott. This explains the huge hike in prices too. I have gone to Burma for many years as tourist and am shocked by this sudden change, especially the astronomical price hikes, but then again, this is what happens when demand just cannot be met. The Inya lake hotel is still what it always used to be - a grand old lady in the probably most relaxed setting you could possibly wish for. Could it do better? Sure it could. When the price for a room jumps from 60$ to 200$ you would expect everything to be perfect. Make sure that when you go there, and I wholly recommend it, remember that this is a country that has taken off on steroids (fuelled by ourselves) and it will take a little time for its people and businesses to catch up. I guess major renovations will have to wait, given the still great political uncertainties and strained relations amongst many of Burma's ethnic minorities. Would you spend a lot of money on your business in such a precarious situation?
Had we believed the really bad reviews about this hotel, we would have missed out on beautiful times around the pool and on the lake. Therefore, if you decide to give this hotel a go, just remember to go with lowered expectations and I am sure you will enjoy it as much as we did. Photos attached.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Inya Lake Hotel, surrounded by 37 acres of verdant gardens, a serene lake resplendent with lotus, leafy trees and a free-shaped swimming pool offers the perfect retreat for guests to simply sit back and relax. Exploration of Yangon and the surrounding area is also a must and we would be delighted to arrange a variety of tours and excursions for you during your stay with a private guide.A 15-minute drive from the city centre, and 20 minutes from Yangon International Airport, the colonial styled hotel with its teakwood floors and oriental feel evokes charming memories of a by-gone era. The 129 guestrooms are decorated in retro style offering guests astonishing views over the city of Yangon and the Inya Lake.Experience the exotic delicacies of Myanmar, this secret tropical cuisine so redolent of the spices, textures and flavours of both this country and its neighbours. Unwind and enjoy the magic of sunset at the Lake View Bar or just relax at the Pool Bar. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Ebookers, Ctrip TA, Priceline, Odigeo, Agoda, Hotels.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Inya Lake Hotel, Yangon reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Inya Lake Hotel, Yangon Hotel Yangon (Rangoon)
- Dusit Yangon (Rangoon)
- Yangon (Rangoon) Dusit
- Dusit Inya Lake Hotel Yangon
- Inya Lake Hotel, Yangon Myanmar