“Love the tranquility and warmth”

Inya Lake Hotel, Yangon
Ranked #27 of 151 Hotels in Yangon (Rangoon)
Singapore, Singapore
“Love the tranquility and warmth”
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Stayed here for 4 days on business, in the deluxe, lake facing room. Even though the overall feel of the hotel is aged, I was charmed by the peace and quiet throughout the hotel, and also the warmth from the staff.

Waking up early mornings meant enjoying the lovely view of the Inya lake from my large balcony, taking in the greenery and seeing little creatures like squirrels running about the yard. Also loved the walks and runs I took along the lake. The gym was pretty well equipped and machines ran smooth. Swam in the pool as well and found it clean, albeit in need of some revamp.

The simple deluxe room was comfortable and clean, and of good size. Wifi connection was available in the room, and most places in the hotel but connection was iffy from time to time, especially since it was a public network. Being on business, it was sometimes inconvenient.

Had many meals at Orchid Cafe, including the buffet breakfast. Food was generally delicious and at each breakfast, there was a local dish - mainly noodles - which I tried and relished! Variety at breakfast was reasonable although I had wished for some change from day to day. What impressed me most, was the staff at the cafe. Generally, they were attentive and accommodating. Once, a dish I ordered arrived rather late but I received profuse apologies from the staff and they also went through lengths to make up for the slight tardiness. And even though my stay was short, my preferences were already taken into account by a few staff by the 2nd day.

To get to the shops will require a cab ride. It cost about 5000kyat and takes about 20mins if the roads are not jammed, to get to downtown where most shops and some supermarkets are found. Try to avoid the roads between 5.30 - 7pm, as most roads leading to, and around town will be packed. I consider one of the nearest supermarkets to the hotel, to be Citymart at Junction Square, which was about 2-3km away.

Will I return to this hotel? Yes, if peace and quiet is what I'm looking for, especially when I need good space. And a stay that is filled with friendliness and warmth.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank CW_6973

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Germany
Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

Mr. Singh and his team made my 3 days stay just perfect. It is good to come back to this quiet place in a city busy with construction on every corner, loud and noisy.
I enjoyed a great brunch on Sunday with free flow of beer, wine and champagne. The ladies in the spa have magic hands and wherever you go the hotel staff will ask if you desire something.
The pool was refreshing and is a great size for lap swimming. I simply felt home away from home. I definitely will be back to this wonderful landmark in Yangon.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank DirkWSKubitschek
Mumbai
Reviewed 27 May 2014

It is located on a Huge area near a lake.... Gives you a feel of a resort...
Rooms are a bit outdated but everything works and they do make you feel comfortable. Don't expect a Posh new state of the art hotel... The thing to enjoy here is that it is a bit away from the main road but at the same time getting a taxi is No hassle at all...
Mango trees, Nice pool, jogging track and sitting area near the lake makes it experience of its own.
nice Gym with Sauna and steam... All in all, if you can ignore the old furniture ( or enjoy it ). it wil be a memorable stay.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank adishm
Reviewed 18 May 2014

I stayed at Inya Lake for business trip. For the price of 200 USD+, I was expecting a standard business hotel.
It's really a shame, the hotel is very old, not renovated. Old bathrooms, old beds, old mattress.

For a similar high price, don't go to Inya Lake. I recommend other business hotels in Yangon, Park Royal, Chatrium, Sedona, Traders.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
5 Thank gourma
Suki_Singh, General Manager at Inya Lake Hotel, Yangon, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Dear Sir,
We regret that the hotel did not meet your expectations, we are very well received by most of our clients given the superb location in a verdant garden on the shores of the magical Inya Lake Hotel
Do let me know directly if you elect to come again and I will make sure you are well looked after
Best
Suki Singh
suki@inyalakehotel.com

Travellers are raving about these Yangon (Rangoon) hotels

sydney, australia
Reviewed 13 May 2014

We stayed here once in April and again in May. We found it a tranquil oasis away from the hustle and bustle of downtown - besides a taxi into the centre only costs 5000-6000 kyat. There are always a few taxis waiting in the parking lot. It is set in large grounds and is on the edge of the lake - there's a paved walking trail - Happy Hour taking in sunset from the Lakeview Bar was a real treat. Have a game of pool if you wish at the same time! Breakfast is comprehensive, with lots of choice. Nice big dining room. Dinner was OK too, but we tended to go to the classy Italian restaurant, LÓpera, which is just next door - very popular with expats for good reason, and pretty good value really (compared to Australia!). Nice big pool but not very cool in the hot season. Staff are very friendly, professional and helpful. There are 2 ATMs on the premises, so no problem getting kyats. They also accept credit cards, without charging a fee, which you might find in other places. The first time we had a deluxe king on the 5th floor - a lovely big room which included a couch, and had views over the lake. Air con struggled a bit with the heat, never got below 25 degrees celsius, but we managed OK.The second time we had booked a junior suite, but found that it had a strange smell and that the attached sitting room had only one table lamp and was somewhat depressing. The only view was of the adjoining roof. They changed rooms for us without fuss, upgrading us to a superior suite - absolutely gorgeous, nice big bedroom and bathroom, and cheerful sitting room with desk, couch and lovely works of art. Good air con. Would not hesitate to stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that has a view of the lake
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank edwardLC
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 10 May 2014

I have never felt so safe and at home in another city, yet another country. Mr. Singh and his staff treated me like a member of their family, rather than a hotel guest. All of the staff always greeted me with big smiles and were happy to chat about anything.

All the amenities are just like a home, not new, but in working order. I don't like the feeling of all these modern hotels where I feel bad for making a mess of anything. I want to feel at home with a building that has character, treat things of quality with care and they have no fear of time. The pool, spa, fitness center, tennis court and walking path were all perfect, everything is perfect.

I ended up staying at Inya Lake Hotel twice, the second time I became very ill not taking care of myself. Everyone was so very helpful in making sure I was 100% ok. There is an International SOS Clinic outside the lobby to get medicine and see doctors. All the hotel staff asked me everyday how I was doing, it felt great to have so many angels watching over me.

As I was leaving Inya Lake Hotel for the airport I felt like I was leaving home and began to feel sad and today I feel a bit home sick.

I feel blessed and lucky to have stayed at such a wonderful caring people surrounding me, truly blessed and thankful for each person who watched over me :)

A special thanks to Ms. Carrie and Jenny for watching over me with loving care!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the 5th floor facing the Shwedagon Pagoda.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank Matthew T
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 6 May 2014

I had stayed at Inya Lake Hotel for 2 times during the last 11 months. You'll like the hotel very much if you like vintage stuff. Room is large and very clean, staff is very nice and wifi is available though you need to reconnect quite often. Variety of breakfast isn't much but proper for business trip. It's good to start the day by walking along Inya Lake in the morning.

Room Tip: Request for lake view @ high floor
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business