Yes, that's usually a cliche, but at the Stand it rings true. The moment you step into the hush of the lobby, with it's high, high ceilings and giant bouquets you will begin to relax. Registration is simple, and yes they will take credit cards,,,but at 6% commission.
Room categories seem a bit confusing, but we had booked an Executive Suite. This consisted of a plus size king bed, sitting area with a sofa and two chairs, fruit basket and a bottle of french bubbly. 14 foot ceilings made it seem even larger, and the door to the room had it's own little corridor with another door that separated it from the floor attendant's (well these days they're all "Butlers") desk. The butler was there 24/7 and ran all your errands from laundry to room service. (I want one at home!)
Bathroom included double vanities, large tub and separate rain shower and a separate toilet compartment. Lots of nice smells from the flowers and the amenities. It would all be a bit over the top but for the odd quirks like a ragged piece of carpeting placed under one of the large potted plants. That did remind you that you were indeed in Yangon. It smelled awful, but the Butler soon took care of the problem.
There are only about 35 rooms/suites so even when the hotel is full it seems as though you have a private house to yourself and the staff. Unless it's Friday afternoon or evening. drinks are then 2 for 1 in the charming bar and the place is seriously packed with ex-pats staking out their spots and curious tourists checking the place out.
Note: There is no pool or spa on site, and although we were told access to either could be arranged we never explored this option.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Strand Yangon closed on 1 May until November 2016 to undergo a complete facelift that will return the award-winning heritage hotel to its former glory. Constructed in 1901 in a classic colonial style, the hotel will retain its heritage architectural details, such as marble and teak wood flooring, ceiling fans, chandeliers, lacquer wood furniture, Burmese antiques, and signature service elements, while being given a complete upgrade and contemporary twist through a refreshed colour palette and subtle decorative details. The interiors of all the hotel's 31 suites will be redecorated in keeping with the Strand's legendary style and elegance, while at the same time updated with the latest technology, including new air conditioning, sound and communications systems. The Strand is famous around the world for its flawless, personalised service and suites will continue to be attended by the hotel's team of highly trained butlers. Once "The finest hostelry East of Suez", we are very eager to reveal the new Strand and bring it back to its former glory. Please continue visiting us for updates and bookings. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Agoda, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Strand reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Strand Hotel Yangon (Rangoon)
- Strand Yangon Rangoon
- Strand Hotel Yangon Rangoon
- The Strand Yangon, Myanmar