“A charming hotel in Yangon!”
Review of The Strand

The Strand
Ranked #2 of 151 Hotels in Yangon (Rangoon)
Manchester, United Kingdom
“A charming hotel in Yangon!”
Reviewed 25 April 2013

It is my favourite hotel in Myanmar. We stayed there for 2 nights in our trip in Myanmar and really enjoy every moment we spent there. It's a lovely hotel with charming decor and delicate design. I am myself interested the hotels with elegant design and Strand hotel is one of them. Staffs were friendly and very helpful. They asked about my trip, how long I would be in MyanmarThe food was great and we enjoyed the breakfast menu each day. The bar is a classic one, which my parner didn't enjoy much, but to me, it's still very nice and lovely. Our room with all the size and old charm of British colonial was very confortable.
This was the first time we were in Yangon and the hotel was beyond our expectation.
Strongly recommend the Strand to anybody who are planning a trip to Yangon!
Manny

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
  • Korean first
Los Altos, CA (USA)
Reviewed 22 April 2013

We stayed one night at the Strand before we took off for our tour of Myanmar, then two nights there after two weeks on the road. Both of our stays were too short! On the first stay, we had to get up at 4AM to get to the airport for a flight and our butler (there are several on every floor) brought us a wonderful continental breakfast (oh those croissants) to wake us up. Heaven. They now have flat screen TVs and get all the required international channels plus lists of first-run movies playing each night. (We watched "Flight" one evening.....) The rooms are very large with a separate sitting room with a settee and two chairs (upholstery and rug could use a bit of work, however.) The old British colonial charm is very much in evidence with the dark wood, ceiling fans, staff uniforms, etc. On our return visit, we very much enjoyed the hotel breakfast (ordered from a menu but a buffet which we liked) and loved the buffalo mozzarella pizza!! We did have drinks in the lovely bar though we were not there for happy hour unfortunately. The concierge desk folks were very helpful. I needed to go our early the AM of our departure to find some of the fermented tea leaves to make the delicious laphet thoke salad and they knew exactly where to send me, just around the corner. I did laundry there (couldn't stand my clothes any longer!) and it was fairly expensive, but one has to expect that at the Strand I guess. They were also helpful in suggesting restaurants not tied to the generals! I gave the place only 4 stars because I do think there are things in the room that needed touching up: upholstery, rug and some of the tile in the bathroom. (Where there is a separate WC BTW....) but all in all we loved our stay at the Strand!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Tracy K
Battambang, Cambodia
Reviewed 15 April 2013

I have been staying here at The Strand over the past 12 years and its just like coming home. Not just the friendly staff, the history or the grander. The water pressure in the shower is the best of any hotel I have ever stayed in. The WI-FI is now great. The food and Friday nights in the bar are a must.
10 points from me

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Sydney
Reviewed 14 April 2013

I recently stayed at the Strand for four days in March 2013.
I was amazed at the beauty and old world charm of the Strand Hotel. The architecture and feel of the whole hotel takes you back to the old British Colonial days of Burma.
The hotel is very very quiet and peaceful, despite the fact its on a rather busy road. Once you are inside you feel as though you have stepped back in time.
The reception staff are very helpful and extremely polite. In fact I would say that the staff are the friendliest and most polite hotel staff I have come across in my travels throughout Asia. The Management should be very proud of the staff.

Both dining rooms are beautiful and the food is of a very high standard.
The hotel rooms are very large ( at least ours was) and have aircon and fans so you wont feel the Burmese heat. Again the rooms are old but everything is immaculate and in working order. Internet access was available throughout the hotel.
No gym or swimming pool but thats not what this hotel is about. Its pure relaxation no need to worry about your fitness routine.
For Tea drinkers, be sure to try the local Green Tea at the Strand ( not on the menu but available if asked for). It really is very refreshing.
Dont forget to have a drink in the bar, its a grand old bar with Burmese hardwood floors and is a step back in time. There is one pool table for those that wish to play.
Be sure to ask the reception staff for the walking tour fact sheet because the hotel is in a great spot to check out the local architecture of the grand old buildings nearby. We walked everywhere and did not once feel unsafe. The Burmese people are very friendly and polite to foreigners ( for now ).
Some people may think the hotel is expensive for Asia and it may well be but you get what you pay for and with the Strand you get a lot. We loved it !!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mrknotts
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 April 2013

Wonderful hotel; all suites with butler service, which was impeccable. Lovely, spacious bedrooms; well appointed. The restaurants are very good; the bar is a great scene on Friday nights. The staff are charming, efficient and very helpful. The GM greets all guests and you are made to feel very much at home.
An unexpected bonus was that Wifi works in the bedrooms as well as in the public areas. Electrical sockets are both local and UK.

The neighbourhood is very interesting; more enormous colonial buildings. Very safe to wander round.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank LyndaHL
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 April 2013

We arrived early for a one day stay, and were met at the airport by the hotels car - this was the only part of the hotel we didn't like. Otherwise a really pleasant oasis with great staff, very attentive (including a butler on each floor) and superb food - kind of wished we had time for the full English tea in the lunch.

Our room was clean, cool and very relaxing - plus felt like it was in a real colonial style. For some reason we were also given a complimentary bottle of (French) wine on arrival (we chose to drink it in the evening) and it was delivered cool in an ice bucket to finish the evening with nice music and a good selection of TV channels (including the hotel's own movie channel). My favourite part was a home-made Danish for breakfast, along with the equivalent of a full English breakfast plus some delicious local cuisine (fish soup). Also enjoyed the cocktail bar in the evening.

In summary – a very pleasant hotel and clearly top quality, but of course very pricey, likely we'd be tempted to come back.

However, on the airport transfer - it was very expensive in local terms ($50 vs ~$10 for a normal air con taxi) and probably not worth it as the car wasn't anything special (just a basic but new 4 door car, quite small, no welcome water nor any similar enhancements that I might have expected for the price. As an FYI the trip took us 90 minutes due to rush hour traffic and lots of roadworks.

Room Tip: I suspect the upgrade is worth it for the extra few dollars (relatively)
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank littev0ices
nyc
Reviewed 9 April 2013

I stayed at The Strand for one night at the beginning of my trip to Burma last spring. I didn't have a chance to partake of any of its amenities besides dining.

My overall impression of the public spaces and rooms at The Strand was that they were lovely and true to the British colonial character of Burma, replete with beautiful hardwood floors, buttercream walls, swirling ceiling fans, and creaky carpeted staircases. However, the whole place seemed slightly dingy, like it was crying out for a deep cleaning/sprucing up.

The lobby was the best place in the hotel to catch the hotel's wifi signal, and residents kicked back in their wicker club chairs surfing the internet lent the atmosphere a relaxed, welcoming vibe. The bar was packed when I arrived (it was happy hour) with a rowdy, after work expat crowd, which was kind of fun.

My suite was spacious and tastefully decorated in a grandmother's living room sort of way, but a bit dark and again, everything seemed slightly worn.

Unfortunately, something I ate --whether it was my three salad dinner, recommended by my earnest, well meaning waitress, or my takeaway breakfast of a fruit smoothie and croissant -- gave me food poisoning, which took an antibiotic course and several days to clear up. Not terribly surprising in a developing country, but an inconvenience nonetheless....

Despite that incident, nearly a year later, what stands out as the highlight of my visit to The Strand is the warm atmosphere and in particular, the service -- from the somewhat formal check in, my waitress at dinner, and my floor butler -- none of which were of the international five star variety, but rather disarmingly sweet, sincere and eager to please.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo