What a delightful hotel. I loved that it wasn't a mega, sprawling hotel, but instead something unique and small. Next to the Irawaddy River (across the street), short walk around some great, busy neighborhoods and amongst the chaotic Yangon traffic, this hotel is a small oasis. Its important to note that it doesn't have a garden nor pool, so if you are relaxing on site its all within the hotel. One does feel as if you have entered an bygone era, with the décor and furniture. On the guest floor sits the concierge / butter who are forever looking after your needs from room service requests, taking your keys, newspapers and room cleaning. We were only there for one night, so our breakfast was room service, which was delivered in style and very tasty, plus we enjoyed the English afternoon tea in the main restaurant. At times it looks a bit worn, however the overall feel and the attentive staff make up for it. If anyone still needs to shop, there is a small shopping area with arts, crafts, paintings and jewelry. If you are in Yangon for a couple of trips, as we were once beginning our trip and then at the end, I would make this hotel one of the stops as it gives a very unique feel and service compared to other hotels we visited.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Strand Yangon closed on 1 May until November 2016 to undergo a complete facelift that will return the award-winning heritage hotel to its former glory. Constructed in 1901 in a classic colonial style, the hotel will retain its heritage architectural details, such as marble and teak wood flooring, ceiling fans, chandeliers, lacquer wood furniture, Burmese antiques, and signature service elements, while being given a complete upgrade and contemporary twist through a refreshed colour palette and subtle decorative details. The interiors of all the hotel's 31 suites will be redecorated in keeping with the Strand's legendary style and elegance, while at the same time updated with the latest technology, including new air conditioning, sound and communications systems. The Strand is famous around the world for its flawless, personalised service and suites will continue to be attended by the hotel's team of highly trained butlers. Once "The finest hostelry East of Suez", we are very eager to reveal the new Strand and bring it back to its former glory. Please continue visiting us for updates and bookings. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Odigeo, Ebookers, Hotels.com, Agoda, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Ctrip TA, TripOnline SA, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your The Strand reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Strand Hotel Yangon (Rangoon)
- Strand Yangon Rangoon
- Strand Hotel Yangon Rangoon
- The Strand Yangon, Myanmar