“The Grand Dame of Yangon,but.........”
Review of The Strand

The Strand
Ranked #3 of 162 Hotels in Yangon (Rangoon)
Reviewed 8 October 2013

I was greeted by the GM -Didier and he gave a warm and pleasant introduction to The Strand and I was so thankful for the upgrade to one of their 3 Executive Suites. They are simply huge and with teak floors and polished dark wood finishes they give of an aura of the old Colonial past. With the City just beginning to boom from tourists ( and The Governors Residence just about to start a big refurbishment of their rooms - I would not want this Grand Dame to become an old Dowager Duchess ! The amazing space needs some homely warmth and more life in the wall art/ objet d'art and 'stuff' of interest. ( See Raffles in Singapore for the right comparison)
The breakfast is all ordered and served fresh ( refreshing after endless buffets !) andAfternoon tea is cute and worth a stop off for
The Male massuer was very good at his job, so much so that I fell to sleep mid-treatment and woke myself with my own snoring (lol)
The bar on the night I was there was very quiet ( and again lacked intimate atmosphere ) but I have to admit to not being there later at night.
All round a centrally located , fantastic, well run establishment - just need the investors to release some cash for keeping it at the Top

Room Tip: if you want size go for the Executive Suites
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank AndyDave

Reviewed 8 October 2013

Book way ahead if you want to sample afternoon tea, but go for Happy Hour early evening cocktails at the Strand and enjoy really good, quite substantial bar snacks at no extra cost. Very atmospheric hotel on the riverfront in Yangon, with palm trees, airy, spacious reception area and international clientele. Not at all formal or stuffy.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 October 2013

This colonial hotel has been renovated perfectly. Our suite was very pretty and luxury and the butler gave us the perfect service. She even watched our kids so we could drink something in the bar downstairs. The only improvement could be the restaurant service because we got our plates when the cook was ready, so we got all dinner courses at the same time (not relaxed:-)

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 October 2013

Built in 1896 by the Sarkies Brothers, like the Raffles Singapore
It s a luxurious Victorian style Hotel , superbly managed by the present general manager, Mr Didier Belmonte , Spacious rooms and bathrooms , excellent service , amazing food .....the Bar is a must especially on Fridays when everybody in Yangon meet .
I did try several other hotels during my regular trips to Yangon , and for sure " The Strand" remains my favorite , by far !!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank tintinautibet
Reviewed 2 October 2013

The Strand is by far the nicest place to stay in Yangon. I had no idea what to expect before I arrived in Yangon on business and the moment I walked into the Strand I knew I would have an excellent stay. The rooms are gorgeous and unique and full of history. The common areas are airy and beautiful and the food is excellent. And the staff! I cannot say enough good things about the staff at the Strand. They go above and beyond in every single way. I truly hope to have the chance to visit Myanmar again and I will certainly be staying at the Strand when I do!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 September 2013

What a delightful hotel. I loved that it wasn't a mega, sprawling hotel, but instead something unique and small. Next to the Irawaddy River (across the street), short walk around some great, busy neighborhoods and amongst the chaotic Yangon traffic, this hotel is a small oasis. Its important to note that it doesn't have a garden nor pool, so if you are relaxing on site its all within the hotel. One does feel as if you have entered an bygone era, with the décor and furniture. On the guest floor sits the concierge / butter who are forever looking after your needs from room service requests, taking your keys, newspapers and room cleaning. We were only there for one night, so our breakfast was room service, which was delivered in style and very tasty, plus we enjoyed the English afternoon tea in the main restaurant. At times it looks a bit worn, however the overall feel and the attentive staff make up for it. If anyone still needs to shop, there is a small shopping area with arts, crafts, paintings and jewelry. If you are in Yangon for a couple of trips, as we were once beginning our trip and then at the end, I would make this hotel one of the stops as it gives a very unique feel and service compared to other hotels we visited.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Mytravelworldrocks
Reviewed 28 September 2013

I spent two night at The Strand and I enjoyed it! The rooms are very big, even if the decor it is not my style, they are very nice, the only thing disappoint me a bit is that the bathroom that is big and very well appointed, looks to 80s to my taste. Beds are great, pillows are very nice also. Service is very good as the staff is very friendly and helpful

Breakfast was very good, I also have dinner once and was good

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo