We stayed here at the start and finish of a recent trip to Myanmar and loved it.
As others have said, it's a beautiful building, with some lovely design touches, in a lush, well-tended garden. The staff are friendly and helpful. You can easily while away the day by the pool or on the verandah, sipping a lime juice. But it's only 2000 kyat for a taxi to the city centre for sight-seeing.
It is expensive to eat in the restaurant, but we did it one night, eating in a private corner of the garden - quite idyllic and the food was great too. Breakfast was the best we had in Myanmar.
For me it just falls short of 5 stars, because of small things that don't quite work - minor repairs needed in the bathrooms, wi-fi pretty hopeless the days we were there - but some of this is not really the fault of the staff. I think it's just difficult to deliver western standards all the time, given the constraints under which they work.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Belmond Governor's Residence in Yangon, Myanmar, is an imposing teak mansion hotel set in lush gardens. It's located within the elegant and lush green Embassy Quarter of Yangon, walking distance to the spectacular Shwedagon Pagoda. This Belmond hotel offers luxury in fascinating surroundings. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Agoda, Booking.com, Belmond, Hotels.com and Odigeo so you can book your Belmond Governor's Residence reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Governor`s Residence By Orient-Express Hotel Yangon (Rangoon)
- Governors Residence Yangon Rangoon
- Governors Residence Hotel Yangon Rangoon
- Belmond Governor's Residence Yangon, Myanmar