We stayed here one night and maybe this place needed at least one more night to enjoy its luxury. The property is laid out quite nicely, with a pretty pool and rooms that are quite spacious, especially the bathrooms. The creaky wooden floorboards can be a bit annoying especially when you are trying to make a late night quiet trip to the bathroom but that also adds to the British colonial feel of the place. The service (as was typical throughout Myanmar) may not be the most polished but the staff was well meaning, gracious and friendly. Plus they love children and our one year old couldn't have been more popular and pampered (this was true everywhere in Myanmar).
The only knock on the property and its a mild quibble for short stays is that its in a rather boring diplomatic enclave type of neighborhood surrounded by foreign embassies (the Sri Lankan one is actually just across the hotel entrance). However, most things are a 10 minute car ride away as Yangon isn't quite the huge city. And the quiet location makes for a very peaceful environment away from the city hustle.
While we didn't have any meals in the hotel, the breakfast buffet was adequate. Not quite the largest spread we encountered on the trip but decent and the food quality was good. All in all the place was very pleasant and oozed character. And its a loss less expensive than the more centrally located and posh Strand compared to which this place provided excellent value. I certainly wouldn't mind staying here again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Part of Belmond's international collection of iconic luxury hotels, trains and river cruises, Belmond Governor's Residence is a 1920's teak mansion and hotel situated in the heart of Yangon, Myanmar. Surrounded by lush gardens and lotus ponds, and home to two resident peacocks, the property is a peaceful oasis and retreat from the bustle of downtown. The hotel features the Kipling Bar and two restaurants, including the renowned Burmese Table, a gourmet introduction to the cuisine of Myanmar. The Mandalay Restaurant on the lower level of the mansion serves international fine dining al fresco on the terrace overlooking the lotus ponds. Guests can enjoy swimming in the fan-shaped pool in the gardens or indulge in treatments at the Governor's Oasis Spa. Complimentary daily guest activities and complimentary guest bicycles are provided. The hotel is located near the iconic Shwedagon Pagoda and a short taxi ride to the city center. The People's Park is located within two blocks. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Expedia, Booking.com, Odigeo, Hotels.com, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, HotelsClick, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Belmond Governor's Residence reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Governor`s Residence By Orient-Express Hotel Yangon (Rangoon)
- Governors Residence Yangon Rangoon
- Governors Residence Hotel Yangon Rangoon
- Belmond Governor's Residence Yangon, Myanmar